Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Hello From Amelia Island, FL

We are strongly considering buy a Montana 5er and decided to poke our heads in your door to find out more about the Montana brand.

Joe-n-Doe

Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
Sherri48
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7532
Send a message via Yahoo to Sherri48
Hi there Joe-n-Doe and a warm MOC welcome

"decided to poke our heads in your door to find out more about the Montana brand".......you've certainly come to the right place!!

Sherri
Sherri48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 AM   #3
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Joe-n-Doe Posted - Nov 09 2007 : 4:48:45 PM
We are strongly considering buy a Montana 5er and decided to poke our heads in your door to find out more about the Montana brand.
Joe-n-Doe
WELCOME
To The
MOCly Crew

Jump right in. Meet new friends. Learn a lot. Have FUN.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
No RV is perfect. No manufacturer builds trouble free units. What many of us look for is the "best bang for the buck". We think we have found it in the Montana. Welcome to the forum. It is a good place to "kick the tires" before buying.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:32 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Montana has been the number one 5th wheel (number of units sold) in North America for the past 6 years. After a years of research, then one full year on this forum, we purchased a Montana 3400RL, with no regrets, to live in fulltime. As Stiles said, you cannot get away with anyand all challenges in RV's in general. However, Montana is, without a doubt, the "best bang for the buck" out there. I truly believe that.

Feel free to ask questions. You may ultimately decide that a Montana is not for you. However, at least you will have been thoroughly educated on these 5vers.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #6
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072

Hi Joe-n-Doe,
Welcome to MOC. It's nice to have someone else from Fernandina Beach on the Forum. We've had our Montana for almost 2 years now, and are still enjoying it very much. You'll find lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here on the forum.
Hope to see you in a Monty soon.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 AM   #7
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Thanks to you everyone for the warm welcome. It now looks like a done deal and that we will purchase an '08 3075RL. The price is right (as good as from any wholesale RV dealership), the size is right, AND the king size bed is important!

Now I just need to figure out what hitch to get. We have an '07 Dodge, 3500, 6.7 Cummings diesel, short bed, so a slider is a must. Just don't know if to go with sidewinder/airborne set up or pull rite.

Bob...thanks for a Pirate welcome!

Joe
Old 11-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe, Do a search on hitches here! There have been numerous threads on the subject! I have a Chevy shortbed and I went with a Reese slider but did not know about several of the others before I bought mine. I'm a newbie also and have been learning constantly from this forum and all the MOCers out there. Welcome aboard and hope to someday meet you on the roads of joy!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Joe-n-Doe,
From one Floridian to another WELCOME to the MOC FAMILY. Your choice of the 3075 is a good one BUT if you haven't signed the papers as yet I would go back and have them throw in a hitch for your truck. That's exactly what I did and I got the PullRite SuperGlide thrown in without changing the price we had already been quoted. If they don't give it to you free they surely will be giving you a substantial discount.

As for the SuperGlide here is my answer whenever anyone asks the question...

If you look at my signature you will see my 3485SA Montana is hooked to my short bed GMC using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding hitch.
I am firmly convinced that the PullRite SuperGlide automatic sliding hitch is the only hitch for short bed trucks. Although an automatic sliding hitch may cost a little more up front, it has some decided advantages.
First, it rules out the possibility of forgetting to slide the hitch rearward before turning. To me this peace of mind of never having to remember to get out of the truck and manually push or pull some lever to activate the slide mechanism is worth every penny of the difference in price. Not to mention the temptation of leaving a manual slider in the potentially unsafe rearward position during highway driving. Also, there are times when manually operating the hitch is virtually impossible, such as during emergency U-turns or when the trailer jackknifes on icy roads. Under these conditions, the extra cost of an automatic sliding hitch could easily be recouped in damages prevented.
Just forget to pull that manual lever one time and take out the rear window, like this guy did, or do body damage to either or both the truck and trailer and I promise you will wish you had that automatic slider. The SuperGlide has an automatic rearward travel of up to 14" while making a turn, going forward or in reverse, that's 50% farther than the manually adjusted "slider" designs. In most all cases, turns as tight as 90 degrees are possible.
The SuperGlide also features the unique, gear driven, automatically locking, latching mechanisms. You won't be dropping the trailer accidentally on the bed rails because there is no safety lever, pin, or locking handle to mess with. The way it works is the SuperGlide wraps 140 degrees around the king pin totally enclosing it into the latch. There is no "clam shell" closure that might open if you forget to lock the release handle in place. The reason the clam shell hitches have potential of dropping the trailer is all the force is pulling against the opening of the latch. When you back into the SuperGlide you can watch the release handle slide close at which point you are locked in. You can also get out and look directly into the opening where the king pin slides into place and see the silver latch totally wrapped around the king pin. This positive locking mechanism is as close to foolproof as you can get. If the release handle is all the way in, the hitch is locked, period. Unlike the "clam shell" mechanism, a pull test to be sure you are locked in is unnecessary.
Another plus is when the hitch is out of the truck "everything" is out of the truck. Absolutely nothing, no rails, no nothing left in the bed to interfere with whatever you want to haul.
You almost have to see it to believe it, either go to your RV dealership and take a look at the display model or contact PullRite and request their FREE video showing the hitch in action. In the mean time read this PullRite Article in RV Lifestyle.
When you consider the total overall cost of the your 5er, your tow vehicle and a manual slider what is another few hundred bucks for the safety, security and peace of mind of a PullRite SuperGlide hitch?

And NO I do not have any financial interest in PullRite other than being a 200% happy user/owner in a SuperGlide.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #10
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Glenn---Rondo:

Thanks for the info.

I have been researching 5ers for 18 months and hitches for 2 months. You know how it goes, until your eyes begin to flip-flop uncontrollably and your brain turns to mush.

In regard to hitches, I have been drafting a 5er hitch thread for newbies and dummies. It is/was my way of learning the basics; e.g. standard, slider, GN, and tow buddy and which is better suited for different beds; e.g. long vs short. I kinda put it on hold.

We have a Dodge 3500, diesel 6.7 liter, short bed so a slider is a must. I am leaning towards either a pullrite with mor/ryde box or a sidewinder/5th airborne.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Glenn you might not have any financial interest in Pullrite but you had better go back to work and become a salesman for them! I'm now tempted to junk my Reese and head for the nearest Pullrite dealer! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote