Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GIRLS gone MOC > MOC Gals General Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
LEARNING THE "ROPES" OF OUR RIGS

I am creating a new thread in response to Sue's post under "Lady RVs" post inviting us to participating in the "Girls Gone MOC" topics forum.

I agree whole heartedly to your suggestion that we all having a working knowledge and at least nominal experience in ALL aspects of the use and functions of our 5th wheels/trailers. I can't imagine not having done everything at least once if not multiple times. So that IF anything happens that requires me to take care of a specific (or all) function of the rig I will have at some level of confidence that I can do what needs to be done. (As a side note, I am also a motorcyclist and I insist on a couple of test runs on any new bike that Doug might purchase so that if that is the only vehicle available to me in an emergency I KNOW I can ride that bike because I have already done so in non-emergency circumstances.)

"Coulda, shoulda, woulda" is not a fun/desirable position to be in and while I don't live for cleaning the black (ewwwwwww ) water tank I can and do when needed. Having that basic knowledge at hand has been helpful when weather has been an issue or when traveling with family/friends in mini-caravans someone has been under the weather or has had "issues" with some other aspect of their rig when trying to set-up or break-down camp the extra set of hands has been helpful to all of us.

PLUS this way my hubby is hard pressed to give me a hard time (not that he ever would as I am the WORLD's most spoiled wife) about not helping.

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:21 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yep, and ladies, I am a firm believer in being able to tote that rig, just like Sue said. If our other half is ill, or hurt, we need to be able to tote that rig home, or wherever.

We have a number of gals on MOC that are single, they do it, ladies drive buses, even 18 wheelers.

Last year at the Fall Rally Keystone offered a driving class for us gals, class room presentation AND driving. It was not a lot of driving, but, it gave several gals the confidence to try and they did it!

I have been pulling trailers for a number of years, boats, moving, pop ups, and travel trailers. I have yet to master backing them up. But, I can get them from point A to point B. Al was hurt once (thanks to my brother and a wild game of frisbee) and was very ill once (thanks to a hot dog vendor in Richmond Virginia) and both times I was able to hookup, dump, and pull the rig down the road. Both times we HAD to move on and get on the road. I had the peace of mind knowing that I could do it.

Now, that said, if you are in a campground, there are probably a number of guys around that could help you hook up if necessary, BUT, you still need to be able to yank her down the road.

YOU CAN DO THIS!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:45 AM   #3
catsR4me
Established Member

M.O.C. #6762
I agree wholeheartedly. That's my goal this year: learn the outside care and feeding of our Monty and how to drive & park it. The importance of learning these things really hit home this week. Phil & I are attending the LOW conference here in Tucson (our 2nd one). Two of the instructors from the Idaho conference are missing. They always taught the home security & self-protection courses. They were big into boondocking and taking the less-traveled roads so I just assumed that Sandy was as knowledgable as Dave about the "outside" jobs. Not so. Dave had just turned 60, was the picture of health. While they were out hiking he just dropped dead (maybe an aneurism). Poor Sandy didn't know a thing about the outside functions. The RV had to be left here. I heard that fellow LOW instructors are taking care of the RV until Sandy returns to decide what to do. I certainly hope she can continue with her & Dave's dream of travel. You just never know when tragedy will hit. I would much rather be prepared rather than having to deal with such an unfortunate incident AND having to deal with "what to do with my home."

Cathy
catsR4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We met Dave and Sany at LOW in PA last year. Oh my....how sad ...also a reminder that we are enjoying every minute of our great adventure NOW!!!!

Jo-Anna
Does this mean I need my own screen name????LOL
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
I have never met anyone (male or female) who can back up a rig perfectly in one shot each and every time they need to pull into a campsite. (I have met a few who claim they can though. )

And the way some campsites are designed, it's not possible anyways. As long as you don't smash the RVs camped near you or run someone/something over, it doesn't matter how many times you have to back up and pull forwards... back up and pull forwards.

The neighboring campers will get bored watching you and go onto something else or they'll say a prayer of thanks you didn't see them back up.

Which leads to try and always have someone "spotting" you when backing up. When I don't have anyone with me, I end up driving past the campsite until I can see it in my left mirror, getting out and walking back to the campsite to survey it and then backing up. But I also get out of the truck alot during the backing process to go check behind me.

Once you (the female partner) is behind the wheel backing up.... you'll understand why the male partner has a fit and doesn't listen to you when you are spotting him. Walkie talkies and figuring out terminology ahead of time are great "relationship savers".

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #6
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
DandMontheroad-
You are so right about "terminology figured out ahead of time" not only is important to the relationship....LOL...But it is also important to safety.

I have learned as being Kevin's spottier...I never say "left or right". It must be "driver side", "passenger side". It's funny how these two simple words can be such a great stress reliever! LOL!
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM   #7
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Send a message via Yahoo to Snowhawk
ok.. from what I'm reading here, we could maybe use a "class" in the outside duties.. maybe could be conducted at the fall rally??? I asked Rich one day to show me all the stuff he does and he ran me through it. I can hook up (not as accurately as he does... but I can do it). I dump the gally tank every morning (since the stupid meter doesn't work at all) and sometimes the gray, while I'm out there. I've watched him do the black once or twice... and could probably figure it out if I had to. Backing up is, humorously, something I usually do better than he does. We take turns driving and fueling when we're on a long haul... so I agree whole heartedly with the other gals when they say "YOU CAN DO IT!!!" And those of us who already do... will support you in your efforts... won't we girls???!!!!

As for terminology... Rich and I have hand signals that work quite well. I point in the direction I need him to go and use my hands, held far apart, for lots of room to go... and gradually hold them closer together as the distance decreases. Then I take it down to finger and thumb when it's a few inches to go (when hooking up). These work and I'd be happy to show anyone who would be interested in trying this method. We'll be at the fall rally (in Goshen... if that's where we're going, for sure.) There's another rally in Pennsylvania that we're planning to attend as well. You can PM me if you wish.
Snowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:05 AM   #8
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
Jo-Anna... YES... you DO need your own screen name. Declare independence lady! You are entitled to your very own screen name. The days of having to be so dependent on our loving spouses... for every little thing... are on their way out (and gone in some arenas). (not stabbing at the guys... we love all of you... but something like a screen name is so fun!)
Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 AM   #9
Snowhawk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5774
ooops I made a statement and forgot to include a grin (indicating I was NOT serious... just kidding... and trying to be encouraging). The ladies DO NOT have to have their own screen name . I was trying to be an instigator for the ladies independence and get their own screen names. I understand that creates a lot of extra work for someone, somewhere in the scheme of things... so I apologize for being misleading. I'm somewhat of a cheerleader sometimes. Sorry!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
[quote]quote:Originally posted by RC and Samantha

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowhawk

Jo-Anna... YES... you DO need your own screen name. Declare independence lady! You are entitled to your very own screen name. The days of having to be so dependent on our loving spouses... for every little thing... are on their way out (and gone in some arenas). (not stabbing at the guys... we love all of you... but something like a screen name is so fun!)
Hey Helen, that means you need to get Rich to have a chat with Dick to get his own User Name. LOL I'm pretty sure Party Crashers, D and M on the Road, Parrothead and probably many more I don't remember are actually the female counter parts of the couples like I am that do the majority of posting on the forum.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #11
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49

Patty...You are correct that the "M" in "D-and-M-on-the-Road" is the 100% poster under our name. "D" can only type with ONE finger and it takes him an hour to type one sentence. What I will do from now on, is sign our post so you'll know which one of us wanted the post on here.
I know "PartyCrashers" is the same as us. Her husband (Kevin) is also a "hunt-n-pecker" at the keyboard....

Snowhawk.... nothing wrong with being a cheerleader...
When I believe in something I get 100% behind it and want everyone within 1000 miles to feel/do the same as me. Some folks might call it being "anal"...*LOL..

"M"
Margee
Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #12
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Margee, Dick too is a "hunt and pecker" & it takes him so long to type a sentence that I end up trying to move him out of the way so he can dictate what he's trying to type. Nope I'm not a control freak too, am I?

Helen, Margee is right there is nothing wrong with being a cheerleader.

Way to go girls, MOC Gals rule.

Back on topic, I know our rig pretty well & perform most of the functions Dick does. I usually do the tank dumping & black tank flushing. I do leave it to Dick to maintain the hitch, tire pressure & the like, but guess it's about time I learn to do it too.

On the inside of "Sky", I am the one that buttons her up & gets her ready to roll. It's the OCD thing, the control freak thing along with the perfectionist thing. No one can do it as good as me right?

When it comes to maintenance it's pretty much like here at home, the outside stuff is his domain & the inside stuff is mine.

I will be pulling the rig this summer however no matter what he says about it. May have to spike his beverages or something to get him to relax a bit while I am towing. I want to learn to back up too. I had a hard enough time doing that with the pop up, but darn it I am gonna learn how to do it. Should be a site to behold.

Patty
Old 04-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #13
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Patty... another perfectionist.....*gotta love it*

Patty, I think you'll have an easier time backing up the Montana even though it's WAY taller and WAY longer than the pop-up you used to have.

We had two pop-ups (plus a couple of motorhomes and trailers) but the Montana, for me at least, has been the easiest to pull and back-up. Figure that one out!...*LOL

I also have held a motorcycle license in California since I was 15... and that's been... uh... ahem... well....
about 10 years now..... and even those are harder to backup than the Montana!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 PM   #14
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
And I'm the main poster in our slewis sign on name, too, Patti.
Again, George is a one finger typist and prefers to dictate (in the nicest way)
to me to type responses. And I think that I always sign my name to my posts.
And I like having a "girls" space. We do need to get Wayne's wife off the roof of
their 'tana. That's just wrong!!!
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:48 PM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Sandy see I knew there were lots of us. OK, compared to the guys we're few but heck looks like we're growing in our numbers now.

I agree on Wayne's wife. You won't find me up there, I am phobic of heights. I break out in a cold sweat just thinking about it. When I do climb up the ladder to hand him something I just get queasy. Not a pretty site to see a way grown lady clinging for dear life only about ten feet of the ground.

Patty

Old 04-06-2008, 04:38 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I may have cut my own throat as I read your replies to Earlene. I did tell her that she needed to get on here, but here response was that she does not have time to even read all her email, how could she be here also!!

Sorry ladies, I'll just have to relay what you print. (With my slant of course.)

Edited: My Slant - Sandy said you are brave for going up on the roof.
Patti said that going on the roof is one way to get over your fears.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:02 AM   #17
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Wayne, unless there is gold jewelry up there or somehow Piccola or Lupo sprouted wings and flew up there and then their wings fell off there is NO WAY even your "slant" would get me up on the roof! LOL (And the gold would have to be at LEAST 18kt and include some "sparkly" stuff in the multiple carat range!)

That being said, at least you share what's going on and that's a good thing (slant or not). Have to admit, Doug's laughing out loud and reading me some of the great ideas and thoughts were what galvanized me to join up myself as I didn't want to miss out on all of the fun being had by all!

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Oh oh Robin,

You gonna start that diamonds thingy again?? HA HA, the boys sure tried to find me that tail gate with diamonds, and I believe it might have been Wayne that finally found a photo! and posted it.

Even tho some of the fellas thought it was silly, I thought it was a fun way to spend some boring winter hours with good clean fun.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I read everything out loud to my wife. (Of course, it's only things about her!!!!)
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:47 PM   #20
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I too am the poster on this site--that is why the j is first initial. Paul will be happy to know that there are other men on this forum that are one finger typers.

Jan
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote