Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2005, 06:35 AM   #1
Montana_354
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #354
Sewer odor in bathroom sink

The last time or two out we've begun to notice a sewer odor while running water in the bathroom sink. Has anyone had any problems with this before? If so, what did you do?

While on the roof yesterday I noticed that the sewer cap (I guess you'd call it) is missing. Could that be part of the problem? Any suggestions on where to get a new one?

BTW, I washed the Monty yesterday, roof and all, and we're now expect to get a foot of snow today. Hopefully it will help us with our drought conditions...
Kalamity

Montana_354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 AM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
I had that one time, when we moved to the next camp grounds it was OK. My guess is that you had some bad smelling water from both camp grounds. If it continues I would first try to clean everything with a small amount of bleach.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 12:32 PM   #3
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
By chance did you hook up to a campground that had sulfur water. That happened to us in IL campground. We had to flush the whole system with water treatment from Campers Choice. That was the only way we could get rid of it. It was only on the hot water. Also just in the bathroom sink.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
You can buy a replacement cap at any RV supply store - maybe even WalMart. The replacements have metal straps to act as "springs" to hold in it place. It has nothing to do with the odor, but you do need to replace it to keep things from getting down in it and stopping it up (critters, leaves, twigs, birds, etc.)
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Actually something may have gotten into your vent stack already so you may want to check that it's not plugged.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
my guess would be the water. try flushing it completely out as stated. you shouldn't get any smell backed up through the drain as you have an air gap built into the trap. it's possible you could also have a smell that is comming from somewhere else as it's hard to pinpoint at times. I've seen it come through the outside via the roof vent. try dumping some bleach down the sink drain and down the toilet for any stagnet water....has it been sitting for a while not being used?
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
Montana_1985
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1985
does your sink water run into the black tank?
The vent cap on the stack could be the culprit, however, I would disenfect the lines using bleach/Clorox down the sink.....and use some Joy or non-ultra-concentrated detergent in the gray tank b4 leaving the campground (to clean the tank).
Disenfect the fresh water tank as well..(2 tbls bleach)...

Montana_1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 04:36 AM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I have noiced a smell in the bathroom sink, we have been in the same place for a year now an I dont think it is the water, I bought some orange smelling chemicals at wal mart and the smell went away and now it is back. maby I need to use the bleach, our water tank is almost empty and has some bleach in it we are on city water.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kalamity

While on the roof yesterday I noticed that the sewer cap (I guess you'd call it) is missing. Could that be part of the problem? Any suggestions on where to get a new one?
Yours may be hooked up to empty in the black water. While down in Florida this March we had an incident that SHOCKED me . We woke one morning to no fresh water. I woke my daughter and told her and left to go to the barn. Later that afternoon a friend of mine found me in a panic as water was gushing out of the front of our 3400. Yep, my daughter left the faucet open and when the water came back on it was too much force to handle the water and water was everywhere. I also could smell the black water ALOT!. I looked in the toliet and nothing there, so I stepped on the flush and it sorta exploded with great force and then the water was up above the hole but not over the toliet seat. IT SHOCKED me it was so forcefull.

The odd thing is that my black water was NOT full when I left in the morning. I believe that some units bathroom sink drain into the black water. I had to temporarily relieve the black water into a bucket because the "Honey Wagon" wasn't scheduled back on the grounds until the following morning.

Then, a couple days later we had terrible winds. People lost awnings (some folks learn the hard way). When my daughter and I returned I noticed a cap laying next to my camper. Couldn't be mine could it? I climbed up on the roof and it was mine, it was from the black water exhaust pipe, which must of BLEW OFF when I flushed.

Sorry this is so long, but I believe when I posted my problem back in either Feb or March someone indicated that the bathroom sink empties into the black water. I know for a fact it doesn't completely and soley empty into the black because I have watched it drain out the grey water from the sink from outside.

WEIRD DESIGN HUH
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote