Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
BillnLonda
Established Member

M.O.C. #23085
Screen Door

I have searched through every thread. Tried every combination of curse words and Screen Door and I can’t find a thread which addresses how much I detest the screen door in our 2018 3791RD. Please tell me there are others who would give up their first born to get a functioning, trouble free screen door.

In three months I have replaced two handles and three strike plates. At this point I’m prepared to just remove it all together.
It is not out of square and the trailer is level.
My wife says, I don’t know my own strength, but this is ridiculous.

I should have been more clear. I hate the thing because on a regular basis the latch, handle and strike plate break for no apparent reason.
I have accepted the fact that it is cheaply constructed and whoever designed the plastic “lock” mechanism should be beaten with a large stick.
That being said, has anyone removed the screen altogether and just gone without it?

BillnLonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
If you like me hold onto it while walking down the stair that will cause problems.
I have now broken mine yet but wife says I will at the rate is am going.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #3
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
You didn't mention what the actual problem is, but if you are having trouble closing it without the main door to help, than the issue could be a sticky auto on switch for your interior lights. Of course that's assuming your 2018 uses the same type of button switch as my 2015. If that's the case than you can just lubricate the button. It cured my problem.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bill,

Not real clear what the problem is. Ours works well. You need to make sure your steps are adjusted correctly - the door will hang up on the bottom if not.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:14 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I've only had to replace our screen door latch assembly once when the housing broke due to grandkids being a little rough. You need to have all the screws tight that hold the door to the hinges. Then, the latches are adjustable so when you close the screen door to the retaining hook on the door, it doesn't lift the screen door but just moves the latch a little to engage into the notch. It just takes a little tuning to make it work without breaking.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Like Bob & Becky are grand kid's broke the handle when they hung on it! but with 3 5er and 2 TT have never had problem.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #7
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
I completely understand what you mean. I have to completely agree that all (not just Montana’s) RV’s seem to have the same , extraordinarily cheap, screen doors handles.

I assumed it was just a cheap design and I should be able to find a good or even great aftermarket retro fit. I would be willing to change out the door if necessary.

Sorry no answers for you just shared frustration.

I hope this post helps us find a well designed, quality , screen door solution!
Old 02-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #8
reinell30
Established Member

M.O.C. #18462
Just add a piece of 1/8" clear or white plexiglass to lower part of door and it will close very nice because of the weight. Put on a decent latch so it will stay closed until you trip the release. This also keeps pets and persons from putting their feet through screen.
reinell30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #9
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
I had the same problem with my grandchildren. What I did was purchased a short length of chain from Home Depot. About 12" long. I then drilled a horizontal hole near the end of the plastic handle and connected the chain to it with a ring from a key chain. Then with the small chain hanging vertically, I slid a small eye bolt (maybe a 10-32 thread) and drilled a hole through the door and installed the eye bolt with a acorn nut on the backside which would be the inside of the door. Then I install a key chain on the end of the chain. Now we just grab the key chain, pull down and then out to open the door. The handle only now sees vertical forces.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
I added a knob to help with closing door without reaching.

Not sure if this fits your issue or not, but we had a problem reaching out from inside to grab the screen door, by itself or connected to outside door. Too many times we grabbed the plastic slider that covers the outside door controls and just pulled it out of its tracks.

My solution was to attach a small knob to the screen door frame as shown in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190217_171654.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	3154  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
ReneT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17288
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post
Not sure if this fits your issue or not, but we had a problem reaching out from inside to grab the screen door, by itself or connected to outside door. Too many times we grabbed the plastic slider that covers the outside door controls and just pulled it out of its tracks.

My solution was to attach a small knob to the screen door frame as shown in the photo.
There's a handle on the right side to pull the screen door shut. Or you can reach thru the screen door opening and grab the outside door handle.
ReneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #12
Alice Austiff
Established Member

M.O.C. #21019
We did the same thing. Had Lowes cut a piece of plexiglass to put on the lower half of screen door to prevent Yorkie from putting paws through it!
Alice Austiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #13
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneT View Post
There's a handle on the right side to pull the screen door shut. Or you can reach thru the screen door opening and grab the outside door handle.

Right. But with the door open most or all the way, that handle can't be easily reached. Hence the added knob at midpoint to pull closed, then use the regular handle to pull tight. Much easier and not grabbing things you shouldn't.
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #14
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
dsttexas: Is that an interior lock above the latch? Did you install it? We have a 2016 3160RL with 2 exterior locks, one locks, the other doesn't. I've often wondered when I turn the red latch to lock, are we really safely locked inside?
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:51 AM   #15
CT Wanderer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19250
That is the same lock I have on my unit. There are two keyed locks on the outside, one locks the latch/handle so you can’t pull it out to open the door. This one is usually keyed from the factory to a Pass key the dealers have to get in all the trailers with one key. The other keyed lock is the Dead Bolt lock which is not master keyed to a pass key. Turning the Red Latch on the inside locks the dead bolt. This is the most secure lock of the two so yes, you are really safely locked inside.
You can replace this lock with an after market lock which is not subject to the Pass key. Anyone who has worked at a dealership has access to these so there are a lot floating around the campgrounds. I replaced my door lock and all the exterior hatch locks all keyed alike to a key unique to me.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
Have to agree that my 2018 Montana High Country 380TH has a very cheap screen latch and handle... I installed a screen crossbar which helps having a bar to close or help swing door open. No stress on the latch and makes it easy to close screen door once your inside. No pets and haven’t kick the lower end yet but plexiglass sounds like a good add.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:20 AM   #17
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Austiff View Post
We did the same thing. Had Lowes cut a piece of plexiglass to put on the lower half of screen door to prevent Yorkie from putting paws through it!
I put a cross bar and added a metal screen which i got from homedepot. I have two little Lasha/long hair Datsun that would tear my screen up this fixed the problem and still lets the air flow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5891380C-B7DB-415F-A87A-FEE967EBA6BC.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	3157  

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
Quote:
Originally Posted by margerush View Post
dsttexas: Is that an interior lock above the latch? Did you install it? We have a 2016 3160RL with 2 exterior locks, one locks, the other doesn't. I've often wondered when I turn the red latch to lock, are we really safely locked inside?
The red latch sets the deadbolt, and the latch above the black flat door opening handle locks that handle from moving. Same two operations as the two outside key locks.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:00 AM   #19
TWP723
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28111
I used a magnet mounted to the screen door and on the main entry door and eliminated the catch on the entry door altogether. Mainly because the screws stripped out the material and never stayed tight. The magnet is strong enough to travel with the entry door but light enough to pull apart. Also used the pull bar mentioned above as the primary grab for the screen door.
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:32 AM   #20
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I also removed the screen door catch plate from the door frame and added the push bar.
I have yet to add anything to hold the screen door itself closed. So far it has not been much of an issue. The stiff hinges do pretty good.
I like TWP idea of adding a magnet to the screen door to hold it closed. I'll experiment with that.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote