Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #1
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Double pane windows

we live in the Florida heat 365 days. Does any one out there have the double pane option windows in there unit? and do they work?

Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Many people that have them seem to like them until they lose a seal and fail. Have seen where many praise them for cutting down on outside noise but I personally see no need for them.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 04:47 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We have them on our last 2 fivers and will not order another without them. They are not like stick house double panes (no gas in-between the panes) but they do help in both heat and cold. They cut down on condensation on the windows in winter weather, help somehow disperse the heat of direct sunlight, and really cut down on campground noise. They weigh a little more, cost a little more, but that's RVing. I guess if you mostly stay south and can't hear thunder to start with ... the benefits may vary.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:05 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Agree that reduced noise is the biggest plus. You can run the a/c or heat to make up for the thermal loss without a big issue.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We've had other units TTs and 5er without Dual pane windows, when ever the outside temps would drop we would have a rain storm coming off the windows with so much condensation. Now with Dual pane windows we don't get that condensation and they sure cut down on outside noise and if it's is cold outside and you touch a window it may be cool, but it's not ice cold like a single pane.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We had them on our old rig and not on our new one. If we wintered where you are we would have them again but we winter where the dew point sometimes is a minus number so condesation isn't a consideration. They do help with noise and saved some on heat and AC but we've done some other things with the new rig that are making a bigger difference. Short version, if I were you I'd get them.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:16 AM   #7
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Thanks for the advice i think we will, One more question do they come frame less?
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #8
fatcatzzz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
Thanks for the advice i think we will, One more question do they come frame less?
All mine are frameless, except the small widow in the bedroom slide.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #9
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We ordered ours with dual panes. Would not go without them. Ours will be 6 years old in April and no seal problems.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We had single pane in both of our Montanas and then a SOB MH. With our current SOB DP it came with double.

It may help with insulating the rig slightly better. What I did notice was that recently in SW Florida when the nightly tempts flirted with the high 30's that in the morning our windshield had moisture on the inside and the double pane windows did not.

I guess it would depend on how much they were going to cost on a new rig. There may be some value there buy like others have indicated, they are nothing like residential insulated windows that are filled with argon gas.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:48 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never had them and since we stay in moderate temps year round we don't need them.Noise has never been a issue.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:09 PM   #12
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I have them on my unit and agree on the noise reduction and in my opinion it helps in both cold and hot weather. It is and has been a requirement for my last three RV'S. I can tell you they are expensive to replace as I learned when I had a window disintegrate as I was driving over the pass which has lots of road construction. I assume it was probably from a rock.
If possible at a dealership go into a unit that has dual pane and one that doesn't. Open the shade on a sunny day and stand in front of the window and see which one cooks you quicker.

Tom Marty
Old 01-24-2018, 07:15 AM   #13
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
I have them on my unit and agree on the noise reduction and in my opinion it helps in both cold and hot weather. It is and has been a requirement for my last three RV'S. I can tell you they are expensive to replace as I learned when I had a window disintegrate as I was driving over the pass which has lots of road construction. I assume it was probably from a rock.
If possible at a dealership go into a unit that has dual pane and one that doesn't. Open the shade on a sunny day and stand in front of the window and see which one cooks you quicker.

Tom Marty
Are yours frameless and if so do they look like the non dual pane windows from the outside?