Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Campingmike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11204
LP gas switchover problem

I am having a problem with my new 2010 Montana. Last night I ran out of propane on the tank closest to the switchover unit but it did not switch to the full tank on the far side, which was fully open. I had this same problem last year and they thought it was the switchover unit, so they replaced it, still have the problem. I had to physically go out and switch the tanks around to get it going again, so I know the tank is OK. I had read about the red regulator problem and was just wondering if this could be the. Problem. I looked at mine, which is connected to the black iron pipe just before it goes through the wall to the other side, and it is the 30# one. Any insight to this problem would be appreciated. Thank you! Mike

Campingmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Had the same problem on our 2011, are you doing as the owners manual says when opening the valve on the tanks ? On the newer units if you open the valve to fast they will create like a interlock and not allow gas flow. I then did as oweners manual says and just crack the valve until you hear flow, wait a minute then close the valve and then slowly open it all the way.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 02:02 AM   #3
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As they say, yes it could always be that #30 regulator but more than likely it's a lock. This is the remedy described to me and it did work for me after the 3rd try. Close both tanks and disconect, then go inside and burn off any gas at the stove, open all the elements. Then shut stove off stove, reconnect both tanks and only turn on the problem tank but very slowly, it doesn't matter what position the switchover is in. I think it took me 3 trys because my turn on slowly motion was not slow enough. When they say open that tank slowly they mean just a teenie weenie bit at a time. Hopefully it's real quiet when you do this because if you open the tank too quickly you can hear a click and that I believe means you have opened it too fast and it's time to start the proceedure all over. Worked for me and I was convinced it was the regulator. Let us know your results.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jliveit

Had the same problem on our 2011, are you doing as the owners manual says when opening the valve on the tanks ? On the newer units if you open the valve to fast they will create like a interlock and not allow gas flow. I then did as oweners manual says and just crack the valve until you hear flow, wait a minute then close the valve and then slowly open it all the way.
Exactly how we dealt with the same problem....
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Campingmike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11204
I will give this a try guys ! Thanks for the info !! Our local Campingworld where I bought the camper mentioned the same thing, they are coming up thursday to do my refridgerator recall fix and if I have any problems after trying this I will have them look at the regulator ! Thanks again !! Now if I could only quiet down my slideout awning through the high winds we get up there I will be a happy camper !! Sounds like the whole camper is going to blow when they start flapping around !! Especially the double wide slideout awning !!
Old 04-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Campingmike

I will give this a try guys ! Thanks for the info !! Our local Campingworld where I bought the camper mentioned the same thing, they are coming up thursday to do my refridgerator recall fix and if I have any problems after trying this I will have them look at the regulator ! Thanks again !! Now if I could only quiet down my slideout awning through the high winds we get up there I will be a happy camper !! Sounds like the whole camper is going to blow when they start flapping around !! Especially the double wide slideout awning !!
Wind and slideout awnings just don't mix.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Mike, what indicated you were out of propane? Reason I ask I had a similar problem a few weeks ago where the furnace would not stay lit. It would continue to ignite, burn for a few seconds, then go out. I ignited a burner on the stove to verify I had propane in the tank. I immediately thought I had a furnace problem. Outside temp was about 28. Fired up the electric heater and forgot about it until morning. Worked on problem the next day when it was about 50 outside and could not duplicate the problem. That night, temp about 32, same problem. Then I remembered a post, I think from SReigel, about propane tanks not delivering the same pressure when they get low and temperatures drop. Manually switched the valve over to the full tank and the problem went away. The tank I was running on was about 2/3 empty. It could provide plenty of fuel for the stove, satisfy the switchover valve, but not near enough fuel to satisfy the furnace. Will be interested to find out what your final solution is. Jim
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #8
Campingmike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11204
Jim, the way I found out something was wrong was when the furnace came on and then shut off after not sensing that the burner was lit. I knew I had another full tank and, yes, it was opened but the switch over did not take place. When I was out to check on the tanks, the indicator showed that the tank I was on was empty, which it was, so I switched the lever over to the other tank and it still stayed red. So I went around to the far tank to verify that it had gas in it and that the valve was oped, which it was. I was puzzled so I closed both tanks, changed the full one to the side that I knew was working ok and every thing started working again. I filled the tank that went low and will be bringing it back up to camp tomorrow, and I will try starting over with the far tank being my supply, and do like people have mentioned with the opening procedure to see if it will feed from the far side. I will post my outcome tomorrow night. I am hoping that is all that is the problem. MIKE
Old 04-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #9
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Had the same problem, proved out to be the pigtail on the curb side
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
Campingmike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11204
Well, I put 2 full tanks on, had them both shut off to start with, opened the far one SLOWLY like the instructions said and still had the problem. I went back over to the side closest to the switchover unit, opened that one slowly and that one worked fine. Last year when I first got the fifth wheel I had the same problem and they thought it was the switchover unit so they replaced it along with the pigtails connected to it. I guess that wasn't the problem. Tend to think it is either the 30# regulator or the pigtail that connects it to the tank. I will have them look at it tomorrow when they do my refrigerator recall shield and keep everyone updated! Thanks for all of the suggestions! ! MIKE
Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Pig tails have what's called a excessive flow valve built into the end closest to the tank which fails, not allowing propane to pass thru. Easy check is to remove end of pigtail from the regulator and open the tank breifly to check for flow.

http://tweetys.com/propane-pigtail-connectors.aspx
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I've had this happen twice and finally took the suggestion of another member and removed the little regulator on the passenger's side tank and now just "SLOWLY" open it and no more problems!
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Campingmike
Established Member

M.O.C. #11204
Well service guy from Campingworld was up today to do my refridgerator recall mod, then we worked on the LP tank problem. He says that they have been having trouble with the red 30# regulator and he ordered me a new one along with the short little pigtail that connects it to the tank. Hopefully that will be the solution to the problem ! Luckily I am still covered under waranty with this, better to find all this out now, rather than after this September ! I will keep everyone updated Thanks, Mike