Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2007, 01:59 AM   #21
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Stay firm Bob. I think Keystone is used to people buying this crap and repairing it themselves after they get disgusted with the dealer. No doubt the dealer should have caught the problems, but then they shouldn't have to rebuild the unit on their lot either. Best of luck.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 AM   #22
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
Your best defense against being treated like this is to walk away. Do not allow the dealer to dictate the terms of your sale. Tell him what you want and how you want it and give him a deadline to meet. If he can't or wown't meet your deadline then go somewhere else.

Do not get caught up in the "I gotta have this one" game. There are other dealers out there who want your money and will bend over backwards for you to get it.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:20 AM   #23
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Brad. As for the generator that is easy to install being you have the gen prep.
The tray is just 4 bolts to install. The dealer should be able to fix the rest. The dealer should have resolved all those issues before calling you to make the trade.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Old Turbo finally hit on what struck me almost on the first post here. Did the dealership drop the ball? YES! (unbelievably BAD drop). Did the Mfr drop the ball? YES. However, another area to consider/investigate... the transporter who hauled that unit from Goshen to CA. It's possible that Big Sky did not arrive in the same shape that it left the factory in. That is a LONG haul. Dealer should have never accepted that unit.

BTW - and Old Turbo can correct me if I am wrong on this - but I believe the DEALERSHIP contracts the haulers - NOT Keystone/Montana...

As badly as you have been looking forward to getting this Big Sky, I would be very concerned about future problems with it.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:32 AM   #25
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
Tell Mike Thompson that they just bought a Big Sky for inventory on there lot. I would not accept this kind of monkey business from them, you need to ask yourself is this the kind of customer service I would want now and down the road. We have a Big Sky ordered and due in Febuary, I will GUARANTEE YOU if this had happened to me I would walk away and not look back.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:51 AM   #26
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Having read this post from start to here and after having visited this link http://www.rvservicereviews.com./Rev...h=&CategoryID= I doubt if I would even drive by Mike Thompson's. This review alone would discourage me... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:53 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is plenty of blame to share.. The dealer should have caught the mistakes and problems and you should never have had to see that unit.Keystone..Your order was accurate and Keystone built that mess and let it ship... Stand firm Bob.. Your evaluation of the dealership and Keystone is correct.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:00 AM   #28
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
When I spoke to the dealership yesterday they had only one excuse and that was that the salesperson left the dealership the day before the unit arrived and it is the salespersons job to go through the unit and make certain it meets what was ordered and to do a pre-PDI and advise the service dept what is needed. Since he was no longer with them the ball got dropped. I do know that that part is true. But what does not matter is that no one else took it from that point on.
My concern now is. If there are this many issues on the surface what is there that I will never see?
I am not going to be the one to start some kind of stand on quality but every time I haul my unit that MFGR is getting some FREE ADVERTISING and I am not going to swallow substandard construction and then wave the flag where ever I go for them.
If they get this unit together for the next delivery attempt and we go through the PDI with NO issues I will most likely accept it. However if one of the known items is not corrected and I discover any new ones the deal is OFF. They have assured us they are going to go through this unit thoroughly from stem to stearn. If they do and they make it right I will also be on here stating that.
The problem is the factory gets a pass too easily. Every truck and auto mfgr transports their products all over the world and you and I do not buy them expecting the radiator to leak, the alternator to be missing, the glove box door to be handing on by a thread, the transmission to be loose, etc. These mfgrs' deliver products by the 10's of thousands annually and they average probably less than 2 issues per vehicle. I am not expecting that but I am expecting pride and a reasonable amount of care and handling. If the dealer is to blame or the transporter then I still hold Keystone at fault. They have CSI indexes and they preach this to their dealers. If they have any concern for their image and respect for the customer then they will be monitoring these stats and insuring a certain quality of delivery. There are measures the mfgrs can take that will insure that the product they are building is delivered as they advertise the unit to be. Warranty issues will never disappear a human is involved but a decent level of QC can dramatically reduce them.
I am considering asking Keystone to provide me a Keystone warranty of 2 years to make certain if I accept this unit that they will stand behind the product. If they balk at that then they can either build and deliver a good one or I will move on. Or we can do the same deal at another dealership and I can take delivery there. Their choice.

Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:00 AM   #29
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I would run not walk from that dealership. If you check his record on the website for dealer ratings he rates poor.

I know you all were looking forward to your new coach but that dealer is not doing the right thing. His reviews are bad on warranty issues too.
I would go to another Montana dealer and check them out first. This review website has people like all of us that rate the dealers on service and repairs.

There are other Montana dealers that want your business. We wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Here is the link again.
http://www.rvservicereviews.com./
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:11 AM   #30
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Bad deal all the way around. What ever you do, be determined and grin at'em, really messes with their head.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:21 AM   #31
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
RMccord,
Having been in the same situation many years ago with Pulsbo RV in Wash. I would recommend you leave the unit behind. I didn't and it was a huge mistake. Items that were not readily visible cropped up regularly and the dealership was worthless for repairs and the manufacturer only blammed it all on the dealer and washed their hands of it.
I looked at Thompsons ratings on the web. I have to agree, with a poorly prepped/built trailer and their poor rating---- RUN---- No matter what you resolve with them you will have problems in the future. Give yourselves a greater Christmas present in that you will not have the future stress and hassles.
There are alot of dealers out there and you can get the deal and equipment you want without the problems.
Best of luck...
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:31 AM   #32
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, You have asked for advice and what others would do. Here is my take: I would politely tell him that the deal is off and not to bother me again as they evidently received someone elses unit and not the one you ordered. I would have no other conversations with this dealer and would go elsewhere immediately. You WILL regret buying a substandard product from this guy and repairs will be impossible. All the clues are there Bob, you need to listen to them.......

In any case, best of luck, whatever you decide....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:21 AM   #33
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
Sounds like the same problems I had when I purchased my 2007 Montana 3650 from Camping World. I messed up and paid for the unit when we made the deal, 3 weeks later I took delivery and messed up my not personally checking every item to get it home and found it was never serviced period. I have made several trip to Camping World to get this resolved, and as I was putting the trailer down for its winters nap, not all the problems are resolved. I just thought that with a name as Camping World, I wouldn't have had to watch them Boy was I wrong. The salesman even offered Patty and I a gift cert for our inconvience and we never recieved that. I will have the MOC checklist next time and make very sure. So don't take the unit untill you are satified.
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 04:43 AM   #34
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Keystone makes big mid year changes in the models over the holiday. Last year they introduced 3 new floor plans and incorporated new axles, flat screen TVs, and basement plugs on all post December 2006 units. They have already announced all of the new changes for the Big Sky that will be avaliable after the first of the year.

If it were me, I would use this as the reason to cancel the order, and start over with another Dealer. At the very worst, you will get a model with better features over this one.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:19 AM   #35
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Keystone contracts with the transport company. They may contract with several transport companies. The one I drive for takes pride in the way we transport the units, we take three days of class on how to transport, others may not. If this rv was not up to delivery standards then the dealer should not have accepted the rv as delivered. The dealer should have told the transporter that he was not going to accept the unit because it did not meet order specifications, unless keystone is telling dealers to accept the rv anyway it comes, and make adjustments, this is a fine line. If it had all wrong with it that this one did, the dealer had the right not to accept the rv. The transporter was to call his dipatch and notify them that he is going to return the unit because the dealer will not accept delivery. He was to let the dealer talk to the dispatcher for varification of refusal. The dealer was to then write on the origanal paperwork he refuses delivery because of major defects on the origanal order or on the rv unit. This is the only way the transporter will get paid to bring the unit back to Goshen.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #36
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
What a terrible ordeal this has already been for you and I can't ever imagine that you will truly be happy with this unit at any point down the road. In the back of your mind you will always be questioning what next and without a SOLID dealer to back you up these problems will only become larger than life each time one poses it's self. We also have been very loyal to the Montana line and Keystone since our 1st purchase in 2003. Almost all of us proud owners let Keystone off the hook to a degree by putting a lot of the problems on vendors and stating the problems to be industry wide. WELL, look at your problems so far they are all Keysone/dealer problems and you haven't even got to the vendor equipment yet. Would this have been acceptable if you were picking up a new GMC truck? Hat's off to you for standing your ground.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #37
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Only you can decide what you will accept. Me personally if this is who the dealer is starting out, I would run form him unless he gave me deal I could not refuse. Find you a dealer that is worth your business and thinks you are worth it not just passing a substandard unit out to the public and getting you money and running.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #38
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
From my take on your situation, contracting for a premium unit and expecting same. I would take all this into consideration and start looking at premium units all over again, none being a Montana. Looking at the price point of a Big Sky it appears that there are several true premium units out there that are in the same range but are not a prospective problem on 4 wheels.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Old Turbo for the explanation on how haulers operate. My dealership had his own set of drivers, but he also was only 2-3 hrs away from Goshen.

If a CA dealership had to send a driver all the way across the country to Goshen to pick up a trailer, then it was rejected at the dealership, the driver would have to pull it all the way back to Goshen, then deadhead (probably) back to CA again. It would make sense that Keystone does the contracting - especially for these long hauls.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:35 AM   #40
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. Have to agree with others that I probably would not accept this particular unit at all and would contact another dealership to order a Big Sky. Keystone AND the dealer dropped the ball. As far as Charles Wade is concerned, without going into detail, I can tell you that we had less than satisfactory customer service from him also. After talking with him on the telephone about an issue we had, he did not follow up on things as he said he would, so I would insist on speaking with someone higher up in management than CW. Good luck.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote