Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2007, 02:56 AM   #1
Bogeyplus
Established Member

M.O.C. #7610
Lakeshore RV Meskegan MI

OK got the old trailer sold and bought a F-350 Diesal Dually. Now we have to get the 5th wheel so we can be ready for spring. We have decided on the Montana after looking around. The quality seems much better than some of the other brands. I came across Lakeshore RV in Meskegan MI and their prices are $5000 below any local dealer. Looks like it might be worth the 600 mile round trip. Anyone had any dealings with them?

Bogeyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:23 AM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I have not dealt with them, but others on MOC have and all reports are very positive. Actually, I will probably buy my Montana there if all goes well, and it's about 500 miles each way for me. It's worth it.
Others who dealt with them will surely chime in soon.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #3
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We brought our unit from Montana Bob at Lakeshore RV and would not hesitate to send anyone there. They were great!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:38 AM   #4
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
I also bought my 3400 from Lakeshore RV and would not hesitate with a recommendation. John was wonderful to work with. My only complaint would be with the sales and service departments promptness (or lack of) in returning phone calls. I have not returned to Lakeshore for any additional service work so I can't speak to the important issue of after-purchase service.
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
I also bought from Lakeshore rv and received a very good deal. I have recommended them to everyone I know and to everyone I've meet. Just ask for Montana Bob,very nice person to deal with.There is no sales pressure,which I really liked.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Bogeyplus:
Hope you don't mind me correcting your spelling, but Meskegan is Spelled wrong. The correct spelling is Muskegon. I haven't heard of Lakeshore RV in Muskegon - What street is this RV dealer located on?
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
I bought my 3400 from Steve over there,great to work with.Matt is service manger,any problems he will take care of them.They are located on Apple Ave.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Montana Bob is very easy to talk to. If my local dealer can't compete with his price I will be purchasing a unit from them.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #9
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Everyone:
I noticed that some of the comments made are from members that are out of State (not in Michigan). Doesn't it create a problem with the servicing of a RV if you buy it in one State and want to have it serviced in another? That would be a concern of mine if I was not located in Michigan and bought here. I have heard that some dealers in the past have been not very cooperative with owners that didn't buy from them. Has anyone had any experience with that type of dealer?
Gary & Carole
Old 10-26-2007, 06:00 AM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
With some limited experience on any repairs or service needs on our Montana, the unit is warranted cause it's new, so most dealers, even other than the original one, get reimbursed for servicing. It's somewhat similar to buying a vehicle at one dealer and getting service elsewhere. Most don't care.

If you have extended warranty any RV Service would also be glad to assist again because they would get the warranted customer. I believe that is correct and others may have other views that can help Cargary on the question raised.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:20 AM   #11
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
It is true that it can be more difficult getting service when you buy your unit out-of-state. We have had that experience in AZ. One dealer told us it would be 2 months until they could get us in because they take care of those that purchase at their dealership first, the other said fine bring it in.............that was July 18 and we are still waiting to get our Big Sky back for the work we needed done under warranty. And who knows what will have been done when we get it. The system does not seem to work like warranties on cars and the ability to go from dealership to dealership. If I were to purchase again, I would do my very best to purchase in the state I live in or close enough to have warranty and service work done. Just my opinion and what I am currently going through. I think it was Richfaa that made a post earlier that one of the reasons there may be a problem getting the warranty work done at another dealer is that they do not get reimbursed from Keystone at the same rate they normally charge for their service work. You may be lucky and find a dealer in your area that will take care of your unit just as the dealer you purchased from. I think I would check that out.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
KWolff7 makes a better statement than I, being naive, I guess. I do have the Route 66 coverage that came with our Montana that is supposed to "embrace" customers that didn't purchase "locally" however, not using it yet I have no real experience on how good or bad the Route 66 program is. Dennis
Old 10-26-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
I too found Lakeshore's price to be much less then the local dealers, but when it got right down to nitty gritty, I quoted the local dealer Lakeshore's price and offered only that much and he happily took it. And the local service has been great. Good luck!
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:04 PM   #14
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Just to clarify, I made the original statement on this posting from the viewpoint of fulltiming or being on the road most of the time. We will probably never be near the original dealer when things go wrong.
Sorry if it was misleading.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:55 PM   #15
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We also bought ours from Lakeshore RV. We were located about 700 miles from them and they offered to deliver it for $1/mile. I offered the local dealer a $1000 more than Lakeshore quoted and the local guy couldn't match it. He tried, but said that was below his cost. So we made the trip to Muskegon and picked it up. Have never had any further dealings with them. I would get a quote from them before I bought another.

I do think that it is harder to get a dealer to service it if you didn't buy it there, but if you are on a trip it doesn't matter where you bought it.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Larry makes a good point that we hadn't considered. That is full timing causes those who are doing it to have to use other dealerships anyway especially when they are farther away from the dealership that it was purchased from to one that is closer due traveling or relocation for the winter months. Maybe some dealerships take this into consideration when they realize that there are circumstances that make using the original dealership impossible. All of us are going to have to use another dealership other than the one that we purchased our RV from some time or another. Thanks for the feedback everyone.
Gary & Carole
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #17
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
I bought mine in june 2003 never seen the place or met with the salesman until I picked up my 04 3295 had to take it back one time for some minor thing they fixed every thing that they possibly could and have not had to go back again. If I by another Montana it would very likely be from Lakeshore rv. They gave me a price that no one else could match so in my case it was a no brainer had to go for the best deal i could get. Good Luck, Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #18
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I received a quote with all of the options included and price of each from an out of state dealer in Oklahoma who where great.

Took that option list and price to a local dealer in Johnson City TN named Crowder RV. They looked it over and with my request for a front A/C, and slide awnings that the Oklahoma dealer did not include, the Johnson City dealer made a great deal with us to the tune of about 28% off the sticker, and the A/C, slide awnings and gelcoat. The model or unit we ultimately bought had gelcoat. The dealer took the cost of the gelcoat off before we negotiated final price.

I really believe many local RV dealers can sometimes do as well as the volume dealers if they have an priced option listing.

Do your homework, as someone on here that knew better than me told me. They were indeed correct! Dennis
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 AM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary

Everyone:
I noticed that some of the comments made are from members that are out of State (not in Michigan). Doesn't it create a problem with the servicing of a RV if you buy it in one State and want to have it serviced in another? That would be a concern of mine if I was not located in Michigan and bought here. I have heard that some dealers in the past have been not very cooperative with owners that didn't buy from them. Has anyone had any experience with that type of dealer?
Gary & Carole
Our "local" Montana Dealer, Dixie RV, is reported to discriminate against those who didn't buy from them but in all Fairness having never tried to get service there it is only a rumor in my mind at this point. Any dealer that sells you a unit hopes to make more than his initial sale to you. As RVers we are constantly adding and upgrading. In our case, we had a good relationship with a local rv dealer, Chesapeake RV Solutions. We brought our TrailManor travel trailer from them and refer many people their way. Some buy, some don't. This dealer also carries the Laredo, a keystone product and as such is an authorized keystone warranty provider. Tim, the owner, made it clear that we were more than welcome to continue to purchase our parts and supplies from him and he would be happy to handle any repairs and warranty issues we had. Good buisness in my book since we have since purchased our wind reflector, the louvered tailgate, had a plug put in the bed of the truck, had a second A/C unit installed as well as ordering parts for a 1976 wilderness trailer we are refurbishing all through this dealer. Plus we continue to speak highly of them and I for one talk alot! Other dealers can choose to thumb their nose at you if you didn't buy from them but if the dealer is near your home base it may be worth letting them know you are looking for a dealer you can establish a long time relationship with. If they are smart they will treat you like the customer you will become.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #20
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We purchased our '07 3400RL from Lakeshore RV in Muskegon in March of this year while living in upstate NY. They were wonderful to deal with. Their price was terrific, John worked with us to replace the original recliners which didn't fit Pat, we camped overnite in the new unit in their back lot (fully equipped) while some serious hitch issues were resolved by their service department. The PDI was excellent, all issues (what few there were) were taken care of immediately. Everyone at the dealership was committed to ensuring that our rig was what we needed and was in A-1 shape for the road. They mailed missing freezer shelves to us which reached our home before we did. We would unconditionally recommend them as a dealer you should seriously consider.

Since our purchase in March, we have moved to Colorado. Keystone has worked with us to find a dealer willing to work on a rig not purchased from them. RV America (as noted in another post) has been most helpful. Given the nature of the beast and the propensity of many owners to be on the road for months at a time (if not ALL the time), our recent experience has proven that you can buy here and get service there. For those who remind us that we have been at these repairs for several months, you are correct. However, that is not the fault of Keystone or the dealers but rather a result of family circumstances which intervened and were far more important than camper repair.

We could not be happier with our Montana experience.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote