Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Big Bend Texas advance planning

Hi, wife and I are planning a trip for mid Jan - mid Feb to Big Bend National Park in Texas.

Any info, comments, recommendations welcome. Current plan is taking I-10 east through AZ, NM, into Texas. But nothing is in stone.

2955RL early 2007, 2007 Clasic 2500 Crew, short bed, 5th air borne sidewinder, air bags.

rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:12 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Bob ... You will love Big Bend! I can't help you with the best route to take, but I can make some suggestions on what to take with you and some places you simply must see.

The phrase "In the middle of nowhere" was created with Big Bend in mind, so make sure you have plenty of all the non-perishable items you think you might want/need. Steve had a problem with the water and I thought it tasted terrible, so you might want to stock up on bottled water. There are a couple stores around, but they are of the "convenience store" variety and do not offer much and charge a lot for what they do have. (Steve paid over $4 for a box of Club crackers) The closest grocery store is in Presidio, about 67 very slow miles away ... and even their selection is limited.

Now, the plus side of the 67 mile drive is that it's very scenic will lots of pull-outs. There's also an old movie set from "The Streets of Laredo" with James Garner (one of my personal favorites ) along the way ... be sure to check it out!

Terlingua is just outside the west entrance of Big Bend and there's some neat things to explore there. It is also the home of the original chili cookoff ... I still can't imagine over 10,000 people in that little bitty town.

We initially entered the park through the north gate and stopped at the Visitors Center. They have some terrific and inexpensive guide books there and the Rangers and volunteers are extremely helpful.

Big Bend is amazing ... there's so much more than what I've mentioned here ... we're hoping to get back there one day. Check out our website (see my signature for a link) and look at the 2004 Postcards, starting with the February 25th Postcard.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Bob, if I may add to what Vicki said, consider taking some of what are labeled "4x4 roads." Most of those do not require 4x4. On some we even saw ordinary passenger cars including one full sized 1970's Oldsmobile, doing just fine. Those roads are rough but certainly not challenging to your pickup. There are a few I would label true 4x4 roads but those will be obvious when you see them.

If you are into short hikes, there are several good ones. One I'd highly recommend is to Santa Elena Canyon. The canyon walls are 1200 feet and you are at the bottom of it, hiking along the Rio Grande. Take it all the way to the end. It ends at a bluff and the river so it's obvious you've reached the end. It's not more than a mile to the end. Maybe less. An easy hike. There are several other good hikes in the park.

As Vicki said, our website will give you some ideas of what there is to see. I'd also recommend stopping at the visitor center and talk with one of the rangers about what there is to see and do. They're very helpful.

You picked a good time of year to be there. We also were there in February. It was beautiful weather and NO SNAKES that time of year.

Here's a couple of pictures for you.

This one is just on the road somewhere in the park:

And this one is on the hike in Santa Elena Canyon:
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Bob,
Big Bend has 2 campgrounds for Rv's, Cottonwood(no generators) and Rio Grande Village which is dry camping. There is also a full hookup area near Rio Grande Village run by a concessionaire but it's like a parking lot with small spaces. If you want hookups reservations are almost a must. The park is huge and all the attractions are far apart but well worth it, just give yourself plenty of time there.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
About 30 miles South of Marathon, heading into the park by the North entrance is a place called Stillwell Ranch, this is before you get into the park. It is a working ranch and there is an R V park on the place, nothing fancy. There folks there are really fun, if the neighbors come into the store to get a few things or to do laundry a great conversation is had by all sitting out on the pourch of the store. There is an interesting musem on site and the lady in the store makes killer burritoes. A neat stopover place.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Thanks to all for the great information. Nice pictures Vicki and Steve.

Now we will have to add a couple more days there.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Ole Dude thanks for mentioning Stillwell Ranch, I've been suffering from a bad case of CRS and couldn't come up with the name. We usually spend a night or two there on the way into Big Bend, well worth the short detour. This way you get to the park early and have a better choice of campsites
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We stayed at an rv park in Terlingua, three miles outside the west gate to Big Bend. We had full hookups. I don't recall the name but Vicki has it in her notes so we can get it if you want it. If you decide to go with a full hookup site inside Big Bend, call for reservations as suggested. They were full when we were in the area. There were only a few full hookup sites inside the park.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:51 AM   #9
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Charlie, Had I not been there recently, I'm sure I wouldnt have remembered,, what ever it was we were talking about?
Old 08-26-2007, 11:01 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ol Dude, how far is Stillwell Ranch from the entrance to Big Bend? I'd like to go back to Big Bend one of these days.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:05 AM   #11
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Stillwell Ranch is about 10 or so miles from the North Gate as I recall. Then I think it is another 15 or 20 miles to Panther Junction which is like a welcome center.