Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #21
Capindad

M.O.C. #6802
I think I'll leave everything just the way it is. It is time to close the can of worms.
Thank you "all"

Capindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #22
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
For those of you who have a Duramax/Allison, why would you even think of the after market additions? Seems to me that you have everything you need to pull any of our Montanas. I do know that the Chev/Buick dealership in Victorville, CA sells the new pickups with Banks installed, however. Almost considered buying one but couldn't break away from my trusty old Ford.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:26 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Orv, the only thing I was thinking was gas mileage. If I could get an entry level Banks system for a few hundred dollars (don't need all the fancy stuff) that could give me 1 or 2 mpg better, it might be worth the 3-4 tanks of diesel - @ $3/gal - for the long term savings.

Have not done a lot of research on this though. If I could start seeing a return on investment within 12 months, that would be of interest to me. If not, maybe I'll get a GPS...

One thing to be aware of is that some GM techs mentioned that people who install these tuner systems will likely see a decreased lifespan of the engine, as tuning to put out more HP than factory specs call for will obviously increase the wear on the engine and its systems over time.

They did not caution people NOT to add tuners, just that they wanted them to be aware of the long term effect of the increased forces on the engine parts.

Makes sense.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:41 AM   #24
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Dave, I don't think they can guarantee any increase in mpg. When I had the Banks system installed on my Ford, it was for purposes of power. I did get an increase of 2 mpg so that made me very happy. But Banks never said that I would see an increase. It was just an extra blessing.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:53 AM   #25
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Well, here's my 2 cts. I kept the stock air filter for all of the reasons stated; you just can't replace it with anything better. I did add the VA SmartBox E, but only use it on the lower setting, and only while towing. The little extra helps keep the Allison from "hunting" and that adds a small increase in mileage, and it does offer some tranny protection as well. There is a night's worth of reading on the dieselplace.com on these subjects. I agree that the stock Duramax is adequate, but I'm hoping that a modest increase in power used responsibly won't adversely affect the engine or drivetrain. Allison specs for HP and torque are higher than the stock Duramax produces. Flame on!
happy campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:08 AM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Orv, I agree. I guess I'm really thinking that I need a lot of other things a lot worse than a tuner for my D/A. Think I'll leave well enough alone...
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 AM   #27
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
Now your thinking right!! Just another thought... I read in one of your previous posts that you run your front tires at 55psi and the rear at 80. Have you ever thought of increasing your front tire pressure?? I run my truck at 60 cold when not towing all the way around. And at 80 cold all the way around when towing. You might try that to see if you get any better mileage, especially since air is free. =)

Actually now I am curious, what is your average fuel mileage towing your coach?
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #28
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Good topic, I have owned 4 Duramax/Allison and have never needed any more Horse power that the D/A puts out. And for K&N filters, I used it on our 2500HD, and noticed that it lets more dust thru and made little or no difference in power or fuel mileage.

Our Chevy Kodiak on has 300 hp but it has 605 Torq, I have heard that
the 4500's are detuned because of the 5.13 rear gear. The 4500 does turn up more RPM's than all previous Duramax/Allisons we have owned. Thats because of the 5.13 gear vs the 3.73. I also believe that putting gadgets on the D/A are taking a big chance with the warranty. Just my thoughts and opnion. GBY....

Got our RV cover finished and we think its great..... Delaine will post pictures on our Web site.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #29
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I'm another who adds nothing to the D/A...why? As it sits, it cranks out 360 hp and 650 ft/lbs of torque, and as previously noted, pulls anything Keystone makes very well. As for the Diesel Place, like lots of forums, there is some very good information there, but also some very bad information. One poster was very proudly pulling a trailer with a srw one ton with a GCWR of 39,000, a mere 17,000 over weight! Unless the consensus of opinion is unanimous, a person is better off doing his/her own research.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

Dave,
Now your thinking right!! Just another thought... I read in one of your previous posts that you run your front tires at 55psi and the rear at 80. Have you ever thought of increasing your front tire pressure?? I run my truck at 60 cold when not towing all the way around. And at 80 cold all the way around when towing. You might try that to see if you get any better mileage, especially since air is free. =)

Actually now I am curious, what is your average fuel mileage towing your coach?
Dave, I just lowered the fronts from 80 to 55. I was just following the door post specs. During towing, I don't remember now, because I have lowered and raised tires so much. I think I have only pulled with 80 all around - not with the fronts at 55. Could probably do this though. With the Montana on, my front axles have 10# LESS than when I'm empty.

Mileage has been 11-12 pulling and 19-21 empty.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #31
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
My door sticker says the same thing; 55 psi up front and 80 psi in the rear. Your mileage is right about the same as mine, I average 12/13 towing and 21/22 empty. Let me know if you see a difference now that you have dropped your front tires...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:38 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll let you know at the end of next week when we finish our trip.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #33
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

I'm another who adds nothing to the D/A...why? As it sits, it cranks out 360 hp and 650 ft/lbs of torque, and as previously noted, pulls anything Keystone makes very well. As for the Diesel Place, like lots of forums, there is some very good information there, but also some very bad information. One poster was very proudly pulling a trailer with a srw one ton with a GCWR of 39,000, a mere 17,000 over weight! Unless the consensus of opinion is unanimous, a person is better off doing his/her own research.
Unless you're familiar with the Duramax, you probably wouldn't know that the '07's are the 4th generation of this motor. Among other changes, the HP and torque ratings have been upped each time, and there has also been a change in the Allison with the addition of a 6th gear. I think that the manual transmission, clutch & flywheel, and rear end are all the same. It's my opinion that a modest increase in HP will bring the earlier motors near to where the new stock motors are now, and if used responsibly, won't compromise durability. But as a kid I remember my Dad asking me why I thought I new more about cars than the engineers in Detroit; if they thought it was better, they would have made it that way. That might be true, and while we probaly don't need the cabin filters, the underhood light, the glovebox light and all the other things that they removed, we could use a fuel pump and a second fuel filter, along with an EGT and a boost gauge. Just my opinions.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:53 PM   #34
mmrxboss
Established Member

M.O.C. #1425
I have run the Edge with Attitude control head for 3 years - love it. In boost mode 1 there is just enough change in engine/trans dynamics that I can run most highway grades at 65mph in cruse control. My dealer svc mgr asked me why I had the chip and when I told him the above example he just walked away. Nothing about my warranty has ever been said by the dealer. I have been told to completely disconnect it prior to having any on-board system scan done by the dealer to prevent any possible error. With the Edge this is a 1 min job.

I occassionaly !!!!! run in boost level 3 when I need a burst of power and then for as short a time as possible.

This chip is NOT for mileage - heck, if you are towing for get mileage.

I put a larger exhause system on and should have sved my $$$. Factory is just fine unless other engine mods have been made.
mmrxboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:28 AM   #35
happy campers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6523
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mmrxboss

I have run the Edge with Attitude control head for 3 years - love it. In boost mode 1 there is just enough change in engine/trans dynamics that I can run most highway grades at 65mph in cruse control. My dealer svc mgr asked me why I had the chip and when I told him the above example he just walked away. Nothing about my warranty has ever been said by the dealer. I have been told to completely disconnect it prior to having any on-board system scan done by the dealer to prevent any possible error. With the Edge this is a 1 min job.

I occassionaly !!!!! run in boost level 3 when I need a burst of power and then for as short a time as possible.

This chip is NOT for mileage - heck, if you are towing for get mileage.

I put a larger exhause system on and should have sved my $$$. Factory is just fine unless other engine mods have been made.
My feelings as well on the exhaust. The factory exhaust is adequate for a stock truck, although a 4" would have been nice. I see no sense in replacing a perfectly good exhaust system with another for the minimal gains realized. Now when it needs replacing, that would be a good time to make the upgrade.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #36
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
My thoughts are that detroit and it's so called engineers also thought that by making cheaper cars in the 70's and early 80's that they could just keep on selling the american public the junk they were putting out at that time. It wasn't untill the japaneese started cutting deep into ther pockets that they finally woke up. I still wonder why GM needs to be in bed with the japaneese with the Duramax. But I also wonder why GM and Ford keep messing around with a V-8 diesel design. Most all of the big boys runnin up and down the road are in line 6's. As for chips and air filters. My Dodge is chipped and the only air filter I run is the Amsoil EaA replacement filter for the Dodge. Flows better than stock and is good for 100000 miles. Just my .02 cents worth. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote