Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Ford Tow Vehicle??

For you Ford fans here is the ultimate tow package.

http://www.f650supertruck.com/

I bet this dude would haul our Cambridge.....

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
That is sure one beefy truck. Could not imagine what type of fuel mileage it would get...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 08:37 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Thats quite a truck Dave,

You would really have to flip the axles over on the Monty to get it to ride even with one of those ones.

J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My wife had a significant reaction to just the pictures of the truck. The translation of which is roughly, "It will be either me or that truck, but not both." That woman is gonna pale my redneck yet. She said, "You'd think an elephant was beautiful too, but at least God designed the elephant." So, fellas, it looks like I'll just have to save that $92,000.00 for some other purpose.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:13 AM   #5
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Mighty tough looking truck!
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:18 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
More Ford stuff... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=109864
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:33 AM   #7
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
I think these class 5 and class 6 trucks make a lot os sense for what we are pulling. I posted the comments below in another thread and some of us have been bouncing it back and forth but I'd be interested in what the rest of you had to say.....

Convinced that I have overtaxed the limits of my old truck, I am looking at other alternatives and am wondering, why more of you don't go to the medium duty trucks or MDT's. Of course money is the first thing that would come to mind but my investigation says that I can buy USED, a very, very well appointed and certainly not worn out, class 6 Freightliner M2 or International 4400 with plenty of hp (330) for about the same as a new F350 dually diesel and tow up to 26000 lbs LEGALLY. Or you could make the same case with a class 5 with less capacity.

These trucks have essentially the same footprint as a F350 dually and since the front wheels line up with the outside rear dually, the turning radius is shorter that the F350 or 3500's.

I'm interested in why more of you haven't gone to MDT's.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #8
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
I have not gone to MDT becasue it is not needed. Ford F250 and F350 have towing ratings and GCWR higher than any Montana. MDT is harder to park and to drive in town. MDT will not go on narrow scenic roads and many other places. MDT is overkill. That is my opinion though To each his own.
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
That thing ought to be able to pull a train of Montys around!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did consider the MDT when looking for a TV however . A new one was out of the question price wise and we never found a used one that suited our needs that was within our price range,It was a matter of Dollars with us. The main advantage in the MDT in addition to being able to pull a bigger and better camper was the braking.Electro/Hydraulic disk brakes are the way to go on a camper and some of the higher dollar campers have them. In my opinion stopping these things with the brakes we have on the TV and the camper is a continual crap shoot. As usual we got what we could afford in both the Tv and Camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #11
Montana_5598
Established Member

M.O.C. #5598
Dave e Victoria;
Thanks for the link to the extreme Fords!
They are fun to JUST Look at !!
Montana_5598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:29 AM   #12
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I passed one of those big Fords on the way to the rally in Minden last fall. Sure looked sharp but I'm afraid by the time a 5th wheel was jacked up high enough to clear the bed rails you'd have an open sunroof on the trailer after the first over crossing.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by virgil47

I think these class 5 and class 6 trucks make a lot os sense for what we are pulling. I posted the comments below in another thread and some of us have been bouncing it back and forth but I'd be interested in what the rest of you had to say.....

Convinced that I have overtaxed the limits of my old truck, I am looking at other alternatives and am wondering, why more of you don't go to the medium duty trucks or MDT's. Of course money is the first thing that would come to mind but my investigation says that I can buy USED, a very, very well appointed and certainly not worn out, class 6 Freightliner M2 or International 4400 with plenty of hp (330) for about the same as a new F350 dually diesel and tow up to 26000 lbs LEGALLY. Or you could make the same case with a class 5 with less capacity.

These trucks have essentially the same footprint as a F350 dually and since the front wheels line up with the outside rear dually, the turning radius is shorter that the F350 or 3500's.

I'm interested in why more of you haven't gone to MDT's.
I'll stay with my 2500HD D/A for the same reasons rvghostdriver already stated....
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rvghostdriver

I have not gone to MDT becasue it is not needed. Ford F250 and F350 have towing ratings and GCWR higher than any Montana. MDT is harder to park and to drive in town. MDT will not go on narrow scenic roads and many other places. MDT is overkill. That is my opinion though To each his own.
I pulled my 2955RL for over 2 1/2 years with out incident. The 2500HD D/A has all the pulling power required and has had no problems stopping the Monty. I've had numerous incidents where an emergency stop was required and the 2500 performed to my complete satisfaction.

HOWEVER if I was pulling a rig like Dave's Cambridge I might consider the MDT but only if a 3500 SRW D/A wouldn't suffice or if I had more money than I knew what to do with.

Again as rvghostdriver already stated...MDT is overkill and that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:35 PM   #14
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Fuel consumption - MDT would consume much more and depending on engine type, maintenance would be more. Our F250 pulled the Montana with no sweat; and now the F350 does the same, gets good mileage (and it's not even broke in yet), and the integrated braking system works just fine.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #15
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
OK boys, it's just a discussion. I'm learning everyday from all of you and appreciate it. I agree an MDT may be a bit of overkill but would have much better stopping power and the mileage is an issue but only when not pulling. Here is what a Freightliner M2 owner said on another forum.

"I have a Mercedes 330 HP MBE 926 in my M2 and very happy.The fuel economy is very good....11 mpg with 20000 lbs fifthwheel and 14 mpg bobtail...Actually i have 14000 miles and no engine problems.
Richard *toubib*
Freightliner M2 106 2006 MBE 926 330 hp"

I guess it depends on how much pulling one would do and how much "bobtail runnin'" one would use the truck for.
Shouldn't we get a few points awarded for "cool". I mean come on guys think about it. You'd be drivin a Freightliner!
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Virgil,
GO FOR IT!! I would love to have the Freightliner M2, crewcab loaded with all the bells and whistles. Would sure make driving around this country a blast, well I already think it is thanks to my Silverado and Duramax diesel. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:28 PM   #17
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I could afford a freightliner or a Volvo hauler, I wouldn't have to worry about the mileage factor. But alas.......
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:45 AM   #18
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Another thing to consider is a MDT will last about 800000 miles and are very rebuildable. I opened the hood my F250 PSD when I first bought it and quickly closed it. Scared the heck out of me. Still not sure how to replace the fan belt. Cannot hardly see it.
I have a FL70 Freightliner as a work truck and I can manuver nearly as well as the pickup. Height is more of the problem. On small roads tree limbs sneak out and whack the mirrors.
If you do get one, stay away from the Cat 3126 engine. The Mercedes is a much better engine. More expensive going in but much more cost effective on the long run.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Do we need a cdl license for these large haulers? Are these trucks going to fit into some of the tourist areas and streets, like out east. Williamsburg comes to mind. How will they do in some of the National parks?Will we have to stay on truck routes?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by old turbo

Do we need a cdl license for these large haulers? Are these trucks going to fit into some of the tourist areas and streets, like out east. Williamsburg comes to mind. How will they do in some of the National parks?Will we have to stay on truck routes?
Therein is one of the reasons we don't go MDT. We like to explore backroads and even do some of the easier 4x4 roads in our travels (all sans Montana, though). We could not do that with a MDT. I don't think it would be that big a deal on conventional city streets, though. As far as I know the truck routes are for commercial vehicles rather than private MDT's. There may be some where trailers are not allowed but none of us can take those while towing.

There are plenty of 1 ton and even 3/4 ton trucks very capable. So in my opinion whether to go MDT is a very personal one. If someone wants an MDT, then go for it. It just doesn't work for our particular lifestyle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote