Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
A warning to check out your fresh water tanks

Here is a "heads up" for those of you with "older" Montana's. Ours has developed a small leak around the drain valve for the fresh water tank, and I had an opportunity this last week to check it out.

This involved removing the underbelly plastic covering, then cutting into the insulation foam layer to reveal the tank. As I removed the plastic sheeting, I noticed one of the steel "bands" or "straps" that support the tank was no longer supporting the tank, but had dropped down, off the angle iron that should be providing support for the band!

As I cut open more of the insulation, the free end of the third "band" (there are only three) had swung out, and also was no longer being supported by the angle iron. So the water tank was only really being "supported" by one band, and the plastic sheeting covering the insulation.

What led me to investigate this further was a strange swelling of the underbelly - which was caused by the weight of water in the watertank, causing the water tank to bulge severely on the bottom, since there was no support!

Once we had used up the water in the tank, I was able to readjust the support straps, and I also tried to secure these straps from shifting (at least temporarily with duct tape. (Where we would be without duct tape and bailing wire??)

It seems strange to me that these tanks are only support by three small bands, maybe someone can elighten us on this??

I used duct tape to "secure" the loose end of the strap, or band... ANY better ideas???

skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi al,

What year and model is your rig? You said you had a water leak, was this from the tank being loose, or something else?
Thanks for sharing your problems. This is something I will add to my to do check list.

bill

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #3
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Sorry - I didn't forget you! I was out of town the last week, at our local "Star Party"

It's a 2001 3280 Montana. We bought it one year old. As to what caused the leak, I don't know. There appear to be some very small cracks in the BS, right in the small "lower" portion that houses the drain valve, and the stem for the fresh water supply.

We're back home now, and will have a chance to fill the tank, and see what happens.....
Old 07-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Skyguy
What type of scope do you have and where are you located.
I have a celestron Nexstar 11 GPs. In fact two of them.
Thanks
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:23 AM   #5
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RMccord

Skyguy
What type of scope do you have and where are you located.
I have a celestron Nexstar 11 GPs. In fact two of them.
Thanks
Oooh - that would make one heck of a bino viewer!! A little duck tape...

I'm sending you a private email...