Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
teaching family how to tow

I guess I'm going to be giving some trailering lessons soon. Any ideas besides large parking lots, less traveled roads, and lots of advil.

Then progress up to more traffic 4 lane and I-xx roads. Then more advil. I hope that I can get by with less advil and no $ mistakes with this teaching experience.

I guess when each lesson is over then I'll settle into a nice large adult beverage. It will be great if it ends all positive, lots of knowledge and no $ mistakes.

I just realized that I can start this with the 24' flatbed trailer then progress up to the horse trailer and Monty. Yes this makes me feel safer already.
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Please don't mix adult beverage and advil. (Not strong enough!!!!) LOL. I like your spirit though. My DW wants to learn to tow also. I told her as soon as I learn she can learn. How's that for the blind leading the blind???? I figure I have 2000 miles of the ALCAN highway to learn the ins and outs of towing. Just pray I make it to the lower 48....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
You're making a trip that I can only dream of. Is the 2000 mile mostly low traffic with areas of higher traffic? How many large cities / towns will you go thru? Good luck by the time you get down here you'll be a master behind the wheel. Just tell DW "I got us down here, now you can drive back". (always with humor) -))-))
Old 04-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
lwcdg..You are doing a good thing. Every adult who travels with the camper should be and can be proficient in all aspects of trailering. A large parking lot is a good place to start. Unless a individual is physically or mentally incapable of performong the task, regardless of gender, it can be done.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #5
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
I agree with Rich and Helen. Everybody who enjoyes this life style should know how to "do it all." I know how helpfull other campers are but both ma and pa should be able to hook up and tow the rig away. Camping is diffently a shared experience.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
msmoonsatx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6700
Once you have gone through the experience of not being able to do something and having to rely on the other partner, you realize the importance of all drivers being able to handle the rig. We were in Nashville with our 23 foot Jayco when I pulled my back. I tried but could not drive. My DW had to pull the trailer for a couple of days until the spasms subsided. When we got our first fifth wheel, I pulled into a rest area and handed her the keys. Actually an interstate highway in a rural area is a pretty good first step. It doesn't have a lot of tight corners or require a lot of intricate manuevering. The hardest part has been gas stations that can require some fairly tight turns.

Regardless, I highly encourage all spouses to learn to handle the rig.
msmoonsatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Chuck, I think it's a great idea to teach. A large parking lot is good for getting the feel of turning and backing (although nothing replaces experience). Use some traffic cones to simulate small sites. It really isn't that hard for the dw or younins to learn. We do it all the time. Oops,,did I just say that?
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:50 PM   #8
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
I agree with the spouse learning. What I failed to specify is that these lessons are with my kids. 18 yr old daughter and 21 yr old son each have thier reasons for trailering. Daughter: horse trailer and my f350. Son wants to "borrow" the f350 and monty for some RR after finals in about a month. I was just going to give the f350 to my daughter. Since the subject came up it seems that even if I get a new truck I'm keeping the ford, (so the kids can just "borrow" it). Nice being a Dad. I can see my folks just laughing like crazy now.

DW will get some wheel time also.

Chuck
Old 04-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Starting with a small trailer is probably the best thing you could do to a new driver. My dad taught me how to tow with our 22' boat trailer. We keep the boat moored so it was just an empty "lite" trailer. He claims he did it for two reasons; one, to keep the cost down on the damages if I hit anything and two, I could not see the trailer behind the truck. It forced me to use my mirrors for backing up as well as cornering. Now towing the Montana, that has really come in handy as one cannot see anything out the back window. =) Happy teaching...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wanting to learn is the big thing -- my DW will not even drive my truck empty much less with the 5er in tow. I've asked several times what happens if -- the answer has always been the same -- we'll cross that bridge if it comes. No amount of cajoling, pleading, bribing (shoes or jewelry - neither worked , can get her behind the wheel.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #11
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Boy does this thread bring back some memories. When I was 16 my family was heading out for a weekend outing to a friends cabin. We took our 1972 19' Corsair with, got out to the interstate and Dad pulled over. Said "hey big shot" time to learn how to drive I'm tired of doing all the driving. Got behind the wheel white knuckled scared out of my mind. But after 50 miles and dad talking me through it we made it safe and sound. Had to pry my fingers off the steering wheel when we got there. A very humbling experience for a "know it all" teenager but one that will stick in my mind forever! I feel that teaching a person to drive one of these rigs will also bring other benefits that we would not even think of. Building confidence and beating the fear factor driving your home on the road in some ways helps in all areas of life.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 AM   #12
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I think that a family member instructing another family member is sometimes not the best situation. The tension seems to run higher for some reason. A knowledgeable friend could be invaluable at times.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #13
KBLH
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5867
Tom Gina 06

Your dad sounds like mine...always wanted us know he was in control but wanted to know we could get into control in an emergency....he taught me to drive a standard...well, we will just forget how many years ago that was...(I have to admit that he had a large adult beverage as we left!) Anyway...years later I can say I have towed once in this past 2 years just to know I could do it. After reading several of the forums about women drivers I am thoroughly impressed with many of them and I think 'ole Mr. Larry is getting ready to become a passenger soon.

Kelly

KBLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 12:56 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I can't wait to teach my DW how to tow, after I learn, of course, then I could sit in back seat with Samson (golden retriever) and do what he does best. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! LOL!!!!

Phil P.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:38 PM   #15
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Yes, women and kids can learn to drive these things. I grew up on a farm pulling all sorts of things and making turns in the fields. I have no problems with towing the 5er, just that there is more traffic on the highways than on a farm. The first time I had to do it I hadn't planned on it but I had no choice. We were traveling with friends in a motor home and he drove behind me for a while and helped me get used to seeing other traffic around me. We were on a four lane road, then I followed him and made up my mind that if he could go there i could too, because he was bigger. Of course there was road construction shortly after I started driving. LOL Now I love to drive, in fact Paul won't let me drive as much as I would like.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:17 AM   #16
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
When I think back to how I learned to drive, I think I may be lucky to even be here...LOL I was 14, in the car with my mom, and complaining that my older brother (by 3 years) had learned how to drive at a young age. So, she pulled over, and told me to get behind the wheel. As I was sliding over, I was really thinking that I was ALL THAT!! We were right by the on ramp for I-75. My mom told me to get on the freeway. I was like... WHAAAAAT??? YOU HEARD ME...ON THE FREEWAY!!!! As I was going up the ramp, she said "punch it". I had no idea what that meant. She repeated..."I SAID PUNCH IT"!! She then reached her leg over and put her foot on top of mine on the gas pedal...and floored the car. Yikes, THATS how I learned how to drive...LOL

Jan
Oh yea, it was a 1967 Chevy Impala fast back.
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote