Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Water line question

We have a 3791RD. I have 4 water lines going to our bathroom sink. 1 red, 1 blue, and 2 white lines. What are the white line?
Second question. I do not have a washer/ dryer. I want to put on-off valves on the lines to keep from having to winterize the lines every time. Can anyone tell me how to find these lines in the basement>
Thank y'all.

Joe Hollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:01 AM   #2
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
White lines go to vacuum breaker valve for black tank flush. Now that you found them replace the cheap plastic valve with a brass one. Think of it as leak prevention.

You W water lines should come through the top of your pass through storage on your Door Side. Best place I found to install the shut off valve is to remove back wall of pass through and install them right where the water line tees off.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Thanks jeffba. That helps a lot!
Joe
Old 02-08-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Typically when under the sink, the white lines will have that vacuum breaker valve at the top of them, looking something like this;

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
What exactly does a vacuum breaker do for the black tank?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Probably not much in the case of an RV. But it is almost always a requirement that any connection that is in any way connected to “dirty” water and connected to a public water supply that that system must have some means to prevent any possible backflow or dirty water into that public water system. Lawn sprinkler systems is s common example. The vacuum breaker valve or anti siphon valve is there to prevent any possibly siphoning of dirty water into the clean water system.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #7
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Thank you BB TX. I didn't know that.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #8
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
I cut my lines in the pass through. Still have to winterize that section but, will be easier to reconnect if I ever get a washer or, sell the camper.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:01 PM   #9
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrash1 View Post
I cut my lines in the pass through. Still have to winterize that section but, will be easier to reconnect if I ever get a washer or, sell the camper.

That is exactly what I was thinking!
Joe
Old 02-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
The back flow valve on the black tank is not connected to your fresh water supply so you don't have to have it there I cut it out in the basement and just bypassed it. The W\D I cut the lines behind the wall in the basement and caped them so they can be hooked back up if we ever sale or trade in.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Many of us have removed that cheap valve and use an exterior brass one instead.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:19 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As Dick said, if you remove that valve, you should use an external valve as a "just in case" safeguard.

As I mentioned in my previous post, that valve likely will never come into play in an RV. BUT. It could. Remote, but possible.

First we have to go with the statement that not everyone is as intelligent as the rest of us. Now let's suppose that one of THOSE people, for some reason known only to him, connected his flush hose to the black tank flush connection, turned on the water, and his black tank was still nearly full! And he had previously removed and bypassed that vacuum breaker valve. Now suppose just as he opens the water faucet, the water company shuts off the water supply to the park. Water in the company pipes will start to drain to the lowest points in the system, pressure will fall, eventually pulling a vacuum on the rest of the system. And that would, in turn, start pulling (or siphoning) water from higher points in the system. Meaning it could start to siphon water from any open source connected. I am sure at some time in the past you have had a loss of water to your house. And when the water source was restored, you opened a faucet and had air spurting out for a minute or two. That is because of the vacuum caused by loss of pressure had sucked water from all your lines, and maybe even some from your water heater. And if you had a lawn sprinkler system without a backflow preventer, it would have sucked water from the lawn sprinkler lines possibly pulling in dirty water from the lawn.

So that is why it is there. But they use the cheapest ones possible, prone to failure.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I found an easier fix for the backflow valve. Mine came apart and has a little plastic ball inside that would stop the back flowing water. I just took the ball out!!! Wide open and no pipe/hose cutting, etc.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #14
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
As Dick said, if you remove that valve, you should use an external valve as a "just in case" safeguard.

As I mentioned in my previous post, that valve likely will never come into play in an RV. BUT. It could. Remote, but possible.

First we have to go with the statement that not everyone is as intelligent as the rest of us. Now let's suppose that one of THOSE people, for some reason known only to him, connected his flush hose to the black tank flush connection, turned on the water, and his black tank was still nearly full! And he had previously removed and bypassed that vacuum breaker valve. Now suppose just as he opens the water faucet, the water company shuts off the water supply to the park. Water in the company pipes will start to drain to the lowest points in the system, pressure will fall, eventually pulling a vacuum on the rest of the system. And that would, in turn, start pulling (or siphoning) water from higher points in the system. Meaning it could start to siphon water from any open source connected. I am sure at some time in the past you have had a loss of water to your house. And when the water source was restored, you opened a faucet and had air spurting out for a minute or two. That is because of the vacuum caused by loss of pressure had sucked water from all your lines, and maybe even some from your water heater. And if you had a lawn sprinkler system without a backflow preventer, it would have sucked water from the lawn sprinkler lines possibly pulling in dirty water from the lawn.

So that is why it is there. But they use the cheapest ones possible, prone to failure.

BB That really explains it to me. Thank you so much for the detailed response. Where would you mount a good brass valve?
Joe
Old 02-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
I found the washer water lines. No big problem. Looks like 6 screws and the basement wall will open up just fine. I will isolate those water lines from as close to a tee as I can and once winterized, I won't have to do it every time. Happy, Happy
Joe
Old 02-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I just swapped out the plastic valve for a brass one I kept the location the same
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #17
Joe Hollars
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22879
Thanks jeffba!
Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #18
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
waterline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post

what a great explanation of the operation of that valve. thanks
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #19
RichardD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22381
Water line

Install ball valves with bleeders and have the bleeder on the washing machine line side of the ball. This will make it easy to drain those lines if for some reason you were to open these valves. The valves with the bleeder are only a few $$ more than without them.
Be sure to install the valves right at the "T" fittings of the main line so that no water gets trapped and freezes.
I hope this helps.
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote