Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #1
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Gray Tank Issues

Well just returned early from our first outing with the new 3121RL.. Had to leave and come home early and not very happy about it.. Had some small issues we expected and made a few notes for the dealer to address..

After a couple of days I got ready to drain my tanks for the first time.. Pulled black and it went no problem,, Pulled the main gray handle in the doghouse and heard stuff flowing like crazy.. Waited for that to finish and closed it and pulled gray 2 up by the wheel under the slide. The whole handle came slap out in my hand along with about 16 inches of bare cable. Literally was not attached to anything.. Go back inside I am showing Gray 2 empty and Gray 1 still slap full.. Called my dealer this morning and he tells me its just come loose from the rod etc, Tells me to cut out the plastic floor down there and just screw it back together and they will fix the floor. So I crawl under there and open it up. The only valve is the one hooked to the main gray pull in the doghouse. Get my son to pull it and you can feel it slide inside the housing. The other pull cable is just sticking out pointing at nothing. There is no other pipe, no other valve, no rod to hook it to etc. Just some wires and empty space. I literally think the factory never put a valve on the other gray tank. And the one that's on there just pulls for the kitchen side tank.. I am sure glad I didn't haul it all the way to the beach or something. We were only about 20 miles from home.. Still not how I wanted to end my trip, but we were essentially shut down with the main gray tank full and no way to drain it.

So far am I far less than impressed with my top of the line new Montana, that's for sure..

2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
Carguy1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #2
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Well it would seem there was very little interest in this thread so I must be the only person ever to have this issue.. But in the interest of potentially helping out someone else who might here is what happened.

After taking the rig back to our dealer with a list of mostly small things but the whopper being no way to drain gray tank No1 the dealer service manager called me to swing by and see what they found.

Turns out the factory hooked up gray tank No1's pull valve in the doghouse to the valve for gray tank No 2. Thus the pull handle I went to pull for what I thought was tank 2 as stated was attached to nothing. Likewise the actual valve for tank one was sitting snug in its place farther forward with nothing at all attached to it. Once they attached the proper pulls to the proper tank valves all was right with the world. A small thing as all the plumbing was in fact correct, but a big issue when you are camping and your main tank is full.. I would recommend anyone taking delivery of a new unit have them put water in both gray tanks and verify that they will in fact drain when pulled. Not a bad idea for the black tank as well. I was of course showed the pull valve locations in our walk through, but obviously at this point the correct operation of both was not tested by my dealer. They have apologized and done a super job addressing all our item list, but you might want to check before you camp if you are picking up a new unit...

Happy Camping !

Old 07-12-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi

plumbing issues are my nightmare too.
Glad your dealer fixed that quickly.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:30 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Every time you think you've heard all that they could screw up at the factory a new one comes along. Glad it worked out for you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Nutmeg
Established Member

M.O.C. #24249
This must have been so frustrating for you.
After reading you post, I just shake my head.
Just like Dick said........when you think you've heard it all.
Old 07-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #6
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Hi

plumbing issues are my nightmare too.
Glad your dealer fixed that quickly.

Mike

Sorry to hear that Sir, What issues are you having and where did you get your Montana out of curiosity as we both seem to be in the metro ATL area..

Old 07-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #7
Carguy1965
Established Member

M.O.C. #22777
Thanks folks. Looking forward to our next run with no plumbing issues...

Old 07-14-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
When we took delivery of our new rig we put water in every tank, ensured water pump worked, tested black tank flush and then drained every tank. Your right, everyone should do that. Glad yours was a simple fix.
Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Your next problem will be with the cables breaking. Search the forum and you will find several ways to make tank draining reliable. BTW, they only break when it is raining.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Wow! That's why we always do a close to home run for a few days to catch these kinds of problems.

Being in IT most of my adult life, we had a saying - final QA is always in the customer's office.

Glad the dealer was able to get you good and I hope the factory paid them a bundle to do the work.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:38 PM   #11
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
We have a 3121RL as well and have had it back to the dealer (for over 2 months) for a couple of issues:
- Bedroom slideout just would not work properly even after all the methods to re-synch etc. New motors installed under warranty.
- Fireplace replaced because it did not produce heat (our walk thru was on a nasty 95 degree day so we missed that on our walk thru....more like a run thru due to the heat)
- Underneath storage units when locked could still be pulled right open (sure I could have fixed that myself but was upset an factory QA/QC)
"Maiden voyage" after the rig is back from dealer is in August so hoping all goes well.
This is our second Montana. Loved our first one, but jury is still out on this one primarily due to cheaper materials utilized and the overall lack of quality control.
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:49 PM   #12
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
This is why I try to read every post. I will add this check to my extensive list, fill and dump all tanks. I have a 3561 coming off the line in 10 days and have notified the dealer I will need 5 to 6 hours of the unit being hooked up to electric, water and sewer for a personal walk through, they were not happy but want their money.
GreG L. is online now   Reply With Quote