Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Dometic Penguin AC

I remember a post or two , but I could not find under search. I have the AC dripping onto the bed underneath the AC. I have checked the AC on the roof and added some plastic to increase the height of the drain tray. Thought that the water may be standing and not flowing out as it should. Still had the dripping. I have installed the aluminum duct tape inside the cavity between the ceiling and the roof to prevent any air loss into the roof. Fir the AC folks, could I have condensation on the tape that is the cause of the dripping water? I am thinking of taking down the ceiling cowl and placing duct tape over the aluminum tape. My thought is that would reduce the "sweating" and hence the drip.

Any thoughts?!!!

Thanks to all for your help, thoughts and ideas

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Bob-- I did the search also but came up empty. I remember the posts also and if I am not mistaken, the answers came back that the unit was torqued down to tight on installation. They retorqued the four bolts and the leaks or dripping stopped. Maybe someone will come along that posted to that thread that has the exact thread or the answers they gave! Keep us informed on what you come up with!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
On ours there are green marks around bolts like paint or Locktite. As I watched the Tech. install it he pointed them out to me. He said to never torque passed the marks. Maybe yours has the same. Larry P.S. I always run fan on high during high humidity to prevent condensation.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hmmm,
1. Dripping when the AC is NOT being used and its raining outside?
You need to focus on the mounting seal to the roof, which could be insufficiently tightened to compress around opening.
2. Dripping when the AC is running and its really humid/hot outside?
Coil could be freezing from insufficient air flow...open dump door slide to allow maximum air flow across coils.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
To clarify, no rain, the seal is tight. When the AC is running, and it is on High, vents are open. The AC cools the bedroom. The AC then will drip water onto the bed. In checking outside on the roof, the water trough is not full of water. What water there is is running into the spout and onto the roof. Somehow there is some water that has collected outside of the drain trough and around one of the screws (that hold the unit onto the roof. In addition, I have added the aluminum tape on the inside cavity to prevent air escaping into the roof area. My thoughts are the tape "sweats" when the temp and humidity is high or wherever the water that collects around the screw is running down the screw threads and then drips onto the bed. Or a combination of both. I will return home on Monday and will be able to spend more time on this. Again other ideas are welcome
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:27 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Seems I read some posts about the early Penguins leaking due to design issues. We had ours installed in the summer of 2007, and have never had issues with water leakage. Might want to give Dometic a shout.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yep, I would call the factory. But it sounds like our are on top of it.
If you want to insulate the tape, use the sticky-sided rubber/foam type tape like you use on a truck rail when installing a camper shell.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
I think I am the one that posted a solution about Penguin leaks over on the RV Net. I had a leak that soaked the bed just like BW2. I pulled the air distribution box and could see the water entering on the front corner of the unit. The install manual for the Penguin tells you to torque the 3 bolts to 50 inch lbs. Note that the Penguin has only 3 bolts, two in the front at the corners and one in the center of the rear. Not having a torque wrench that would measure inch lbs. I just used a small 1/4" drive wrench and carefully tightened each bolt 1 turn at a time alternating from front bolts to rear bolt. They were loose as I got a few turns on each of them. Just be careful not to over torque them, just make them snug. The dripping ceased and has not returned.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote