Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Fifth Airborne Pin Box

I am about to purchase the fifth airborne pin box. I have a 2011 326rlt Montana Mountaineer, but unlike the new units it did not come with the MorRyde Pin Box. Before I pull the trigger, any comments on difference between MorRyde, Trail Air and the fifth airborne. Seems like fifth airborne is better on chucking, but trail air better on forward/back motion from various threads.

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Chucking is essentially forward/backward motion as the trailer and truck pass over highway imperfections at slightly different intervals and tend to fight each other. Truck hits a "bump" and trailer tries to push the truck. Trailer then hits the same "bump" and tries to pull back on the truck. Get a series of those close together and you will get a lot of push/pull motion.
I installed the 5th Airborne pin box 3 years ago. I did not have much chucking to begin with, mostly on old concrete highways. The new pin box eliminates virtually all I did have. It also softens the ride. I can watch in my rear view mirror and see the trailer moving up and down somewhat independent of the truck taking some of the shock off the trailer. Definitely worth the money.
Pretty easy to install. I did it by myself. But would have been a little easier with some help. I just lowered the tailgate, backed under the pin box, lowered it near the truck bed, removed the bolts, and lowered the old pin box onto the bed. Then raised the trailer, pulled out, moved the old pin box out, moved the new pin box in place, backed back under the trailer, lowered the trailer on the new pin box, and inserted new grade 8 bolts. Not bad at all.
Can't comment on the other brands.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
We have the Trail-Air pinbox. Never really had any chucking to speak of even with the old pinbox. As with the previous post, we can see the pinbox working it's magic in the rear view mirror. We are in our second year with it and would not be without it. When we eventually trade up the pinbox will be moved to the new unit if it's compatible otherwise will have to make a deal. Would I buy it again??? - ABSOLUTELY!
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Thanks for the input, found a place here in town (Hitch House) which will do the install for $80, so out the door for $830 plus tax. Seemed reasonable, since my dealer wanted over $1000 to install the MorRyde.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Have owned both 5th Airborne and Trailair of the two I prefer the 5th.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 AM   #6
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
That was my first mod I did on our 5th wheel, and from what I remember when towing the trailer home and towing it with the 5th Airborne that there is a definate difference, if we ever trade this one in and get something different I will be either exchanging it out or buying one to put on the new trailer.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Get the Trail-air Tri Glide, I love it and the wife does too. My wife has a bad neck and after the install there were no more complaints while towing. I did gain 2 inches between the camper and truck bed after install, it's now at 8 inches.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #8
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

Have owned both 5th Airborne and Trailair of the two I prefer the 5th.
Stiles
Did you have the newer Trail-Air Tri-Glide, we love ours.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote