Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Air Compressor

Click
Air compressor that is lightweight and easy to handle for tire inflation. Seek your input. Tks. Dennis

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
This is the air compressor (part number 93186-0VGA) we fell in love with. It's really handy when you can't get to 120 volts. In our case, we also have one that operates on 120 volts and has a 2-gallon storage tank on it which we bought at Wal-Mart.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

This is the air compressor (part number 93186-0VGA) we fell in love with. It's really handy when you can't get to 120 volts. In our case, we also have one that operates on 120 volts and has a 2-gallon storage tank on it which we bought at Wal-Mart.

Orv
I have that one also.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Dennis I still like the 110 volt rather than battery power as to speed of air .. i have a 1 hp , no tank and does inflate in seconds so as not to be there for 5 min or so with a lot of noise.. also you always have 110 or stop in a gas station or if its flat , change it sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
I would rather go with this one, if your looking at a Sears 120v model. It probably has a higher cfm rating.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5312000P?mv=rr

I went with this one from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95498

It does a really great job. But, be warned, it will not run off of the circuit that Keystone ran to the basement of our 3400RL. It will kick the breaker, it pulls too many amps. I thought about pulling a bigger wire to the basement and replacing the 15amp breaker with a 20amp; but instead settled for a short piece of #12 rubber cord that I plug into the pre-wired receptacle for the washer/dryer. This works well for us since we do not have a washer/dryer.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Ive burned out two 12 volt compresses,the cords are never long enough,you have to extend them.I bought the sears 2-gal 120 volt compressor and am very happy with it and it comes in handy for other things
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I am still using my old construction grade pancake 110 volt unit for pre and post trip work, I also carry a full alum scuba bottle with an old regulator that has had the 2nd stage (low pressure) hose replaced with one with a air chuck swaged onto it. If we get a flat on the road or need air in a remote area the scuba bottle will fill all four tires twice... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:46 AM   #8
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I like my Husky tht I got from Home Depot. convenient and easy to tote aroumnd "Just in case your neighbor needs it. Sells for about $100.00
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:22 AM   #9
FLSTS03
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8231
We have the one that Orv has as well, but I only use it as an emergency backup to our 40lb nitrogen purge rig. I also believe Ozz has a built in system on his truck(with posted pic's)that's worth looking at. On another note Warn(the winch folks) has an identical compressor www.warn.com/truck/aircompressors_spc.shtml at about 5 times the price making the Harbor Ftg. comp.a great deal. Warn does have other air products worth looking at. Steve
FLSTS03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

I am still using my old construction grade pancake 110 volt unit for pre and post trip work, I also carry a full alum scuba bottle with an old regulator that has had the 2nd stage (low pressure) hose replaced with one with a air chuck swaged onto it. If we get a flat on the road or need air in a remote area the scuba bottle will fill all four tires twice... Dave
With that set-up, I suppose you have to be extra careful not to over-inflate your tires to 3000psi , and I guess a locking chuck for the valve stem could get someone in trouble in a hurry !

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ehmcfarl

I would rather go with this one, if your looking at a Sears 120v model. It probably has a higher cfm rating.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...5312000P?mv=rr

I went with this one from Harbor Freight.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95498

It does a really great job. But, be warned, it will not run off of the circuit that Keystone ran to the basement of our 3400RL. It will kick the breaker, it pulls too many amps. I thought about pulling a bigger wire to the basement and replacing the 15amp breaker with a 20amp; but instead settled for a short piece of #12 rubber cord that I plug into the pre-wired receptacle for the washer/dryer. This works well for us since we do not have a washer/dryer.
I am not an electrician but the amperage listed for the Harbor model is 15 amps? Why would it not work on your 3400? Also will it work from your outside receptacle near your door? Tks. Dennis
Old 02-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I have a hard time understanding the logic behind carrying a portable air compressor with an air tank if all you are doing is airing up tires. I have asked people what they do with them, and every single time the answer has been to air up the tires or for an emergency!!

The weight (50 Lbs) and size (~15x15x17) of these Sears models puts them out of my comfort zone. If I planned on running some air tools, then that might make them a worthwhile choice, but for most RVers are they really necessary?

At Ozz’s recommendation, I bought this VIAIR. I have used it for 2 years now, at least twice a month while doing my maintenance routine which includes airing the tires.

These units are quiet, efficient, weigh just a few pounds and take up very little space in my toolbox. As a fulltimer with limited room, every inch of space counts.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I carry a 120 volt portable from Sears that I have only used to air up tires. No holding tank as I don't have any air toolsl I do have a small inverter that plugs into 12V in case I need air and no 120. I feel the same way as Robbie, perhaps a tank would be good for blowing thing out with, but I usually use a can of air for that. Oh Well, to each his own..As most of you know, an '06 3400RL doesn't have a lot of payload to begin with......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

I have a hard time understanding the logic behind carrying a portable air compressor with an air tank if all you are doing is airing up tires. I have asked people what they do with them, and every single time the answer has been to air up the tires or for an emergency!!
I purchased the compressor I have (with the tank) from Wal-Mart when I was looking for a practical compressor. All the 12-volt compressors I had seen and tried just didn't cut the mustard but the one from Wal-Mart did. However, like you, I felt it was too cumbersome and I had to hold the air hose to the tires and it was tiresome. So after hearing so much about the 12-volt compressor from Harbor Freight, I bought one this summer and have not been disappointed. When I get back to Lakewood, NM where we have a lifetime lease on a lot, I'll put the Wal-Mart compressor in my shed. Incidentally, I have a large tool box on my truck in which I carry this compressor so it isn't that cumbersome.

Orv
Old 02-18-2009, 04:13 AM   #15
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
My father in law bought me a "jump N start" air compressor/ jump start tool from Menard's many years ago. It works well. It has it's own battery that can be charged by the 12v cigarette lighter or 110v house current. It has lights on it for night work and will pump up at least to 80psi (thats as high as I ever used it), and jump start the car. But it is loud and not very fast.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:06 AM   #16
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I have one of the aforementioned units from Sears with the tank. Love it. $99.95 on sale most of the time. It gets used a lot with tubes and things around to inflate, and run air tools. Actually keep it out of the Monty when not traveling because it's quicker and easier to use around the house than firing up the big one if I have a quick job requiring some air.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Clyde n Deb,

You made my point. Sounds like you have a good use for a compressor both in your rig and at home. Airing up tubes and the occasional air-tool application is exactly what I was talking about.

Before starting to fulltime, I had the mistaken idea that I needed a tank type compressor. What I was trying to say was that fulltimers just don't need one.

Thanks for making that clear.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I guess I've always looked at the tank on a compressor as a buffer to get a higher cfm when needed than the compresser can actually produce. Not always important but handy when airing a flat tire or using an air blower to clean something out. It also makes the compressor portable (I can walk it over to the yard furniture and blow it off after a windstorm).

I have the Harbor freight version of a 2-gal 110VAC

little compressor .

This little thing is lightweight (1/4 of the weight of my pancake), takes as little room as the 12volt type (handle folds down), has an internal fan for cooling, and is actually quiet compared to the pancake. With the on board generator, 110VAC is just as convenient, if not more convenient, than 12V on my rig (more outlets and easier to run an extension cord).

The only downside is it can't do 110psi. I will be looking for a replacement when I go to G tires.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:43 AM   #19
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Great discussion from all of you. I have been considering a lighter type compressor as Robbie clearly makes the case for and Brad also covers what must be considered if going past an E rated tire on PSI. Another consideration from everyone's input is need, various usage and capacity of loading the Monty with more "stuff". Tks everyone. Dennis
Old 02-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We are full timers and the fact that we have a tank-type compressor does not mean we don't have a use for it. We will keep it on our leased lot in Lakewood, NM and use it for powering some air tools, cleaning our electronic equipment (computers, scanners and printers).

It is true that full timers don't need one, but sometimes they have come in handy. I used ours to clean out our computers when they got too full of dust. But I can get by without it now that I have my 12-volt compressor.

Orv