Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Twin water pumps??

I was just sitting idel in Q-site thinking about the water pump in the Monty,
Could a person conect another Sure-flo water pump on the supply to the hot water heater, by conecting a "Y" conector prior to the in house water pump, and connect the out line of the new pump to the hot water inlet supply. In other words a seperate pump for the cold water and a seperate pump for the hot water, giving a RV more pressure for each service.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
how would you get more preasure unless you put in a bigger pump to start with john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
More pressure may not be the problem. There have been many threads about opening up restrictions, usually at the faucet, to get more flow. Worked for me.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Don't forget you are dealing with a 1/2 inch supply line, so there is only so much volume that you can get through there. I'm not a plummer, so I don't know the volume vs pressure ratio's. For CC water, I have found that the pressure is O.K. after I set up a pressure gage, whole house pressure regulater before my water filter, and a second pressure gage after the filter. Now As long as I have 50# pressure coming in, I can get close to 50 into the coach and that works well for us.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'm realy not trying to get more pressure, just water volume, it seems that the one pump has to push water through the complete system including the water heater which seems to need some help when running both at the same time ( hot & cold ) cold seems to win over hot in the mix.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now As long as I have 50# pressure coming in, I can get close to 50 into the coach"

We are talking dry camping here there are no other water sorces except the water in your holding tank.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-27-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Balancing the pressure from the two pumps might be a problem because the two streams will mix in the faucet. You would probably be better off just to buy a single higher volume pump.

Also, if you are dry camping, don't you want to be a bit miserly with your water consumption? More pressure = more used = more fetching and carrying.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:19 PM   #7
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have been running this through my mind and about convinced it would work.....but how would you convert back to being hooked up to a water supply. Two ways to do this as I see it is to run two pumps together to increase volume and also would take out some of the pulsing. The other is to simply get a larger volume pump. A accumulator tank would also help.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
One pump should do fine, if you don't have enough pressure, either the pump is not working correctly or there is a blockage somewhere in a line.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our on board pump puts out more volume/pressure than our park water supply. Went and bought a Oxygenated shower head from CW (as have several others here). Works great in faking more volume/water than we actually have... Also makes our hot water last MUCH longer - 2 full showers, back to back.

*On Edit~ also, the advantage to the Oxy shower head is that we do not need to shut off our shower, thereby eliminating our "cold surprise" common to many (see the other thread currently ongoing).
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:31 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks for all the feedback on the topic, I'll try a bigger pump, I guess it will be the biggest one out there by Shur-flo, and I'll also look into the Oxygenated shower head from CW, I guess it fits right on the existing hose connecter.

TT2

P.S. I was just on the CW web page and could not find the Oxygenated shower head in there catalog does anybody have the part number.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I see an opportunity to say again how pleased we are with our Oxygenated shower head. Wow! 'nuf said!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #12
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Folks, I fixed the problem by replacing the original water pump with a higher gpm unit that has a microprocesser in it that dictates how much water to supply based on how far open the faucet is. Paid a couple hundred bucks for it but it sure works nice. If you don't have a faucet open all of the way you don't have the noisy pulsating going on. Only a humming sound.

With this new pump, it runs as fast as it needs to supply the demand you are requesting. And it is conciderably quieter, too.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, here it is...

Oxygenics Showerhead - CW
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Don, here it is...

Oxygenics Showerhead - CW
Thank you, its been ordered. did it come with a holder I noticed that they sell an aditional holder why would I need 2 of them. now I'm looking at that microprocesser pump I saw it on the web 2 big ones though will have to save for that.
Thanks all.
Old 01-29-2008, 02:02 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don, we did not need to order anything except the shower head. Sets right in our current setup in our 3400.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #16
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Although I think 1 better pump is the ticket, Im curious as to how a second pump would function when added to the existing system. Since the current pump works on a pressure drop in the system, would you have to have each pump set with different start stop pressures?
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 05:23 AM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Snownyet

Although I think 1 better pump is the ticket, Im curious as to how a second pump would function when added to the existing system. Since the current pump works on a pressure drop in the system, would you have to have each pump set with different start stop pressures?
My way of thinking, the hot water is a seperate sorce line on the output, than the cold, it just uses the same inlet feed for both, if I were to iceilate the hot water inlet feed with a seperate pump that side of the system would have the full 30# plus of pump pressure for hot and the other pump would operate the cold water line only, so in reality one pump just works hot water only and will only operate when the hot water valve is opened, and the same for the cold. the water would be mixed at the facute by the valves. its like having two water sorces from the same tank.