Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2008, 01:18 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Las Vegas to Yosemite

Can anyone recommend the best way to get from Las Vegas to Yosemite. It looks like the quickest way is up the West side of Nevada but that seems to skirt Death Valley so any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
John & Dorothy,
It has been many, many years but IMHO, you don't want to go on the east side of the Sierras, US395 and down Tioga Pass the back way into Yosemite. I think taking, I15 to Ca 58 to US99 is about your best bet. I haven't done I15 with the Monty but we did tow US 40, to CA58 and up US99 on our way back from Arizona. Roads were good.

You didn't mention where you were going in the park. If you're heading to the valley floor, I would avoid the southern park entrance through Oakhurst. Instead head through Mariposa either up US49 from Oakhurst or US140 from US 99 @ Merced. I have not towed these roads but I would be reluctant to tow from the south entrance of the park to the valley floor, it's narrow, over a pass at Badger Ski area and narrow down to the valley. Not real sure about towing 49 from Oakhurst to Mariposa except it's '49er country and beautiful.

Hope that helps,

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
John,

I agree with Ken and Marilyn. Your best (easiest) drive is to take the route suggested. It is longer but much easier. The east approach over Hwy 120 is usually not open until the middle of May. Of course that is only a little over a week away. It may already be open.

I just checked the CA Road conditions and it is still closed.

The east side of the Sierras is a beautiful drive and I prefer it to the rather bland Hwy 99 or I-5 but it is a more difficult route.

If you are SKPs then I'd suggest you stay at the Escapees park located just south of Oakhurst. From there you can easily drive into the park.

Check out Steve and Vicki's Postcards section for details of the area. They have some great descriptions of the various roads in the area. They also have some great pictures.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
You didn't say if you were staying in the park. You won't get in on Hwy 49 through MARIPOSA. There was a rock slide last year. You can get through with a car or pickup but not with your Monty. There are a few nice camp ground just outside the park on the Mariposa side or on the south side near Oakhurst. You might be better coming though the southside/Oakhusrt. I've towed through there before.
Luck Good
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote