Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
What a beautiful drive

At the last minute when we were leaving Casper, WY. we decided to take the highway instead of the Interstate to Billings, MT. What a wonderful choice. Why have I never heard about this route before. We went on Hwy 20/26 to Shoshone and then North on Hwy 20 thru the Wyoming Scenic Highway along the Wild River Canyon. It was absolutely beautiful. We made it as far as Thermopolis which boast the worlds largest mineral hot springs. I can tell you that they are correct. We have been to many hot springs before in the lower 48 and Alaska but these are huge. We just came back from a long soak at the Bath House and feel wonderful. (There are three different places you can go and the other two have water slides) We chose the bath house because there were not so many children and there is no way I could climb the ladder to the slides in 95 degree weather. The water was 104 degrees. Wow does that take the aches and pains away.

I am trying to post pictures on the blog as fast as possible but it is a little slow on the uploads here.

We found an excellent Passport America park for $14.50 a night and the park is right on a river. That will help a little when we get to Billings tomorrow and have to pay $58.00 a night. Yup, that is correct. Fifty Eight Dollars per night at the KOA campground in Billings. What can I say except that we have to be there for the next two nights and Walmart is our of the question with 95 degree weather.

Helen

adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #2
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Hi Helen and Bill,

Al says when we retire we should just follow you two around! We have been reading your blog and just love hearing about your adventures. I can't wait to take that highway. It looks absolutely beautiful!!!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I'm gonna have to remember this one...I want to get back to Glacier so bad, and this would be a good run...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Helen,
You have an amazing way of finding the best "off the beaten path" sights and adventures. Glad to hear you are enjoying your trip northward.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Brenda and I took the road last summer on our trip to AK. We also stopped at the Hot Springs in Thermopolis. It was cool and raining the day we stopped there. It was a welcome end to the day.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #6
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
It was 94 degrees when we went into the bathouse's outdoor pool. The water was 104 but it was so relaxing and surprisingly it cooled us off but sure did make us sleepy. I wish we had time to stay another day but we have it in our "must come back to someday" place.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:18 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen.we stayed at the Fort Casper campground also a PA CG. The fort was on the Oregon trail and a way station for the pony express.We camped right out side the walls of the old fort where those folks on the Oregon trail also stopped over and camped to take advantage of the forts protection and some supplies. It was a strange feeling knowing that right on that same spot over 140 years ago camped a family in a very different caravan.. We could feel their presence
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We were at the same park Rich and felt the same way the first time we camped there. Bill's Sister lives in Casper and we make it a point of visiting her often. I just kinda burns us though that the first time we stayed there it was about $15.00 a night and now it is up to $42.00 and not one thing has been done to it. I heard from those that know that the reason for this is because Casper has very low unemployment and a very high housing shortage therefore many of the workers are buying RV's to live in and Fort Casper is reaping the harvest. I sure am glad that we got the PA price this time.

Helen
Old 06-30-2007, 05:29 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Like I said.. When wandering around the country aimlessly you never know who you will run into. So here we are in a nice out of the way PA campgropund on Co 115 south sort of near Ft Carson but not really. There is music down at the office patio area so Helen and I walk down to listen. As we approach we see a couple standing there listening also and they look a lot like Mike and Kathy, AKA Snfexpress. In fact they were Mike and Kathy who we last ran into in Lake Havasu City, Az during the winter. They are parked through the trees less than 100 yards away. Had a nice reunion last night with more to come...We MOC'ers sure get around... Oh we got high today..went up Pikes Peak..Gasp....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Well Helen that is bring you back to some of the old NWB&J accts as they are all out there and it mite bring back some old memories , good or bad ,, have fun , but that part of my life will never be gone as i made a lot of friends out west in billings and lots of area, i remember the time a suit mafg fron ny came out to minn and wanted to ride the westen states as why wernt there more sales out there ,, well the salesman took him on the dirt rds from jackson hole to billings and the whole west never a blacktop rd , when he got back to minn he jumped out of the car and ran to the airport , left his luggage in the car , he had it , that story went around northwest for years john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 03:20 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sounds like that might be Jack Silverstein from Crown Clothing. (although Jack was from Boston) I can just picture it and am laughing my head off.

Now if anybody would like to join us in Billings, we are at the KOA (first KOA in the world) and we are only paying $63.00 per day. Yup, you're reading that right. Our site is $58.00 plus tax. This is the most expensive campground we have ever stayed at but for three days we can handle it because it enables us three days to be with my grandson before his big wedding next Saturday.

We are in the most expensive area of the park and it is real nice with our own patio and swing etc. because the park is full of Honda Gold Wingers that are having a rally over the 4th of July. About 6,000 of those beautiful machines. Most of them in the park are being towed by some really nice (expensive) Class A's and our Tana looks good beside them.

Rich, I'm glad that you and Helen got your high. Isn't it an awesome view from the top?

Helen
Old 07-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #12
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
We just tried to get a spot at that KOA campground in Billings. It is one of the prettiest KOAs I have seen with the Yellowstone River running behind it. We are now in Butte MT, for the next 6 days at a PA campground at the Fairmont Resort. It sure does get cold at night and the fireworks in Butte were beautiful last evening.
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote