Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #21
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Several nice things about the B series of diesel are that it has much more lubricity (even the very low percentage blends), cuts down on bad emissions, and cuts our dependence on foreign oil.

I worry about the filter problem and the possible deterioration of the rubber products.

But I'd sure like to see our country move toward a renewable energy source so we don't have to worry about foreign oil.

This would also help our farmers.

HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 03:22 AM   #22
pgurrisi

M.O.C. #6335
Finally something a newbie can contribute to.

Biodiesel is produced using methanol. That is a form of alcohol which is a very strong solvent. This gives biodiesel the ability to breakdown all the sludge in your tank, fuel lines and injector system. Of course this can be looked at as a positive or negative. I personally would see it as a positive. Once your system is cleaned of sludge it should operate with less restriction and less wear becuase the sludge is cleaned from the tight clearances in the pumps.

It also attacks certain elastomer materials and some metals. This shouldn't be a problem on any new diesel engine. It is more of an issue with pre mid-90's diesels.

The reason it isn't a problem on the newer systems is that they have started using viton seals (replacement for rubber) and stainless steal lines (not rubber or zinc plated steel fuel lines).

Now you will have to change your fuel filter, but keep in mind that it is doing what it is supposed to do. If you have a new low mileage truck then it is unlikely you will need to replace a clogged filter since you haven't had the time for the sludge to build up.

As for the warranty, you will hear the conspiracy theorists say that the big three manufacturers are in league with the oil companies.... I am sure there are some ties, but the real reason they won't back the use of biodiesel is that they just don't have the time and testing compiled with it to determine if there are any negative longterm effects. It is priamarily warranty liability.

All that being said, I have to agree with Glenn. There is a 100K mile warranty on the duramax engine. Until that is up, I can't see giving GM a reason not to cover me if something goes wrong.
pgurrisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:15 AM   #23
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
pgurrisi,
Thanks for the detailed info. It fits perfectly with what the article quoted from the Escapees magazine. The bio-diesel produces much fewer bad emissions compared to regular diesel.
HamRad
Old 10-13-2006, 08:19 AM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Paul. Good writeup. You sound like you know what you're talking about. Are you in a related field?

I also agree about the warranty. We're maybe a year or less from running out of that 100k engine warranty on our Ford. At that time I'll make the decision on the fuel. We used to use gasolhol (10% alcohol) fairly frequently in our gasoline vehicles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:39 AM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just got home from the shop having my LOF and 60,000 mile service done. Already have 65,000 on the truck... Opps. Anyhow, I asked about the bulletin that John brought up and my service advisor confirmed that a bulletin has been sent out. He saw it, but has not had the time to read it completely at this time. GM is producing an additive to be used in "pre 2007" Duramax trucks. It is not available at this time, but will be coming shortly as the new fuel goes live January 1, 2007. The advisor said if his memory is correct, GM is suggesting adding this new additive once (1) every 3,000 miles (at time of oil changes). I asked if I could get a copy of this bulletin, he is going to locate it and mail me a copy next week. (hopefully)! Just love how the EPA has yet again managed to screw things up!!! I ran 2 tanks of the new (15ppm) and lost over 3 mpg, tell me how we are doing better by using more fuel to do the same job as before????
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #26
pgurrisi

M.O.C. #6335
Steve,

No. I am not in a related field. I am a mechanical engineer who does a lot of research when I want to know about something. I looked into the biodiesel recently. It is actually pretty easy to produce the stuff in your own home. There are a ton of folks out there on the web that are doing it and recommending others do it too.

There are a ton of problems with it though. consistency of quality, time to make it, cost of production, storage of caustic and flammable liquids.

In other words is was too big a pain in the butt to bother with.

Paul
Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM   #27
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Would like to use B5, but bio-diesel is hard to find in a lot of places. Know this sound sort of dumb, but with the lack of lubricity in the ULSD (maybe), could a person just dump a gal. of veg. oil in a tank of fuel? If it were that easy, it sure would help and a guy wouldn't have to buy high priced additives and the veg. oil seems to do wonders according to forum folks everywhere. Wonder if DW would miss the extra-virgin olive oil?
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 PM   #28
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mobilrvn,
You may be on to something! Hadn't thought about olive oil but it should work. Apparently it does not take much bio stuff to get the extra lubricity.

Thanks for info.

HamRad
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #29
pgurrisi

M.O.C. #6335
Gentlemen,

All I can say is DON'T DO IT. If you pour that olive oil directly into the tank. You are almost garranteed to have problems with it gelling up and clogging the fuel system.

When people run pure vegetable oil properly, they modify the vehicle to have two seperate fuel reservoirs. They start and run the vehicle on diesel fuel until it is up to temperature. When they are running veggie oil they change over to the second fuel tank that has a multitude of heaters to keep the oil hot and thin so it does not solidify and clog the system.

Before they shut down they switch back to diesel and clear the fuel system of the oil.

I hope that helps
Paul