Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #21
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Tools:
  • Small grease gun for wet bolts
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • Infrared temperature gun, for hub temp checks
Not really tools, but:
  • A fair length of 4" wide Eternabond for emergency roof repairs
  • Wood blocks as cribbing for hydraulic jack

Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #22
poloace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13649
One thing I was glad I had last week, was spare fuses.
Blew one on my solar panel. Glad I had a bunch of different ones.
poloace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #23
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You also need to think about what you can do. There is no need to carry tools you can't or won't use. Some on this forum could almost rebuild a Diesel engine on the side of the road. We rented our old home place to a couple who couldn't change a fuse. Most of us fall somewhere in between. You need to know your limits and have tools that fit you.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:08 AM   #24
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Two most important things go in the toolbox. 1st is the guys credit card for those emergency items at the Home Depot, Harbor Freight toy stores. 2nd, is the wife credit card to get her nails done while we are at the toy stores. Just a little humor for guys, lol You know they hate to wait, lol.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 04:48 AM   #25
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
[quote]Originally posted by mlh

You also need to think about what you can do. There is no need to carry tools you can't or won't use. Some on this forum could almost rebuild a Diesel engine on the side of the road.

This is so true, but the sad part is every time I haven't used something in a couple of years and leave it at the RV home base I need it the next year. This year it was an extra socket set that has sockets to fix appliances and you guessed it, had to buy some special sockets. This summer the cordless grinder is going to be left (weighs a ton) so you know what I'll need next winter.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:42 AM   #26
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
I carry my tool bucket that I worked with for 40 years, which included my Fluke digital meter. Added a plastic pipe cutter and pex crimper. 18volt combo drill/flashlight, an invaluable 2-3 gallon oiless pancake compressor [very light/compact] with attachments for blowing up tires and blow gun. MOST IMPORTANT DIGITAL TIRE GAUGE and I carry a Bostich combo pneumatic staple gun/pin nailer. PORTABLE ICEMAKER ! Good quality bicycle pump for adjusting airbags when load is on
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 AM   #27
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bigsky3625RE

Beer?.....just kidding. Already covered in previous posts. Maybe some gloves. Towels.
Don't think you should ignore the Beer comment. With the right beer you can talk your camping neighbor to help you fix what broke and he can bring the tools.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #28
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Even if you can't or don't know how to replace wheel bearings on the trailer, it is still a good idea to carry a set of inner and outer bearings with seals. My wife has been complaining about all the "stuff" I carry, and when we lost the bearings in Laredo, and I pulled out the bearings and the tools to replace them, she has changed her mind, especially after we were back on the road in a couple of hours. Of course you should also have all the various lubes needed for the rig, and I don't think a good torque wrench was mentioned yet.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:22 AM   #29
getontheroad
Established Member

M.O.C. #15997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by scott-pati

P2 square bit screw driver/drill attachment, that is the most cost common screw that is used through out the rv.

Scott

There were 3 with extensions when we took possession...hope that is not a sign that I will need to use them often.
getontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #30
bobcat92
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12853
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LDMoore06

I'm also building up my tools. I would like to buy an air compressor and need some ideals.12 volts or AC? brand? Any help would be a big help. Thanks.
I have a Harbor Freigth 12VDC Compressor.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12volt-...sor-69285.html

The cord is long enough to get to all the tires on the trailer and the truck. I could have bought a 120 VAC and used my generator to power it but thought the DC would be more convenient.
bobcat92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:45 PM   #31
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Here's a corollary to keep in mind. The tool you don't have is the one you need. I tried to lighten my load and left half my blocks at home. You guessed it. The landing gear failed and I had to use my truck to hold up the front cap since I only had enough blocks to lift one side and was lucky enough to use my neighbor to run the necessary errands to get it fixed. I refilled his diesel fuel tank and bought him a hands-free clipon flashlight to show my appreciation. I now carry enough blocks to free up my truck next time. That cheap $8.95 drive shaft rod that broke taught me an expensive lesson.

I now leave other stuff at home, but I find a place for tools (truck bed tool box, behind the back seat, the whole front compartment under the cap and even more tools in the desk drawer and the basement. I've been able to help others in time of need. Don't worry, I am still within the weight ratings, too, whew.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:19 AM   #32
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
I prefer an oil less pancake compressor, I thought it was 2 gallon tank, but it is 1 gallon, and a 20 foot coiled air line. It's light and fits in a tote, the tank allows me a bit of storage for inflating tires. I am considering on adding an aluminum tank in the 5er for additional air storage, the tanks are compact and only 11 lbs. I don't have to take it out of the basement, I can just plug it in there. It's a 120v, if I need it beside the road, I have two Honda 2000i gensets mounted in a aluminum checker plate work box in front of my hitch, under the backflip tonneau cover. I did it this way so my gensets are with me, and once the tonneau is down after unhooking, it keeps the desert sand out of everything and "out of sight, out of mind". You can buy one of these compressors most places, "Made in China ", eg. Harbor Freight, Lowes, Home Depot
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 03:54 AM   #33
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Speaking of gloves, rubber gloves for dumping.

I found these gloves on Amazon. They are incredibly tough. Another great use for these gloves is to remove pet hair from your furniture. Just put one on, and rub over your furniture. It is like magic.

Yes, they are not cheap, but they are incredibly strong and thick.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:46 AM   #34
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Here's the real problem with this thread and trying to trim or stock your tool boxes in general. Last night we stopped behind a Cracker Barrel in North Phoenix and when I went to adjust the slide valves to only put the bedroom slide out the knob for the livingroom slide fell off in my hand. The problem was a little allen set screw that had come loose. Since I carry a full set of allens both metric and US I was able to solve the problem fairly easily. I haven't used those allen wrenches in four years, but what do you do in the dark in the middle of the night? I admit I'm a little nuts since I carry four Dewalt tool boxes. The detachable top part is a clear storage box with adjustable compartments and the bottom is a tool box. I have plenty of room for spare parts and hardware and, since I've left tools out and then had to buy a replacement on the road, I only take tools out if I get a tool that will do the job of two or more and then remove them both.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote