Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
New surround sound system (photos added)

Ever since I installed the flat screen TV I’ve not been able to get the TV to play through the current surround system that we had. It may have been possible but I certainly didn’t know how to accomplish it.

Perhaps most people aren’t quite as naive as what I am when it comes to hooking up a surround sound system and so forth. I used to do this kind of stuff all the time when I was younger but with all the new technology we have today I can’t even pronounce the names of the connections much less capable of figuring it out. It sometimes gets more complicated than trial & error.

Anyway I took my manual for both the TV and the new amp and went to Radio Shack. I asked them to help and the guy looked at the schematics and helped me figure it out. I only noticed input connections on the TV and I knew I needed an output connection for it to work. Well, he indicated I could use the optic connection. Never assume that optic means video, it is the type of connection I assume for fiber optics. I got an optic line, hooked it up and it worked great. I may have been able to have used this line on the older unit but I know I’m going to really like this newer system.

When they say “You got questions, we got the answers” I think they meant it. So if you’ve had a problem getting things like this to work, don’t overlook these newer types of connections. It may save you some frustration.

I didn't replace the speakers but I swapped out the sub woofer for a different one I had available. That made things a lot easier.

This is how I strapped it down.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Bill: I have the same problem with the surround sound and since I am not the least bit capable of figuring out the system can you give me an "Idiots Guide" to how to do it?
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Use the optic out on the tv & the optic in on you amp system. You will need to get an optic cable. That is how i had to set it up and it worked for me.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #4
McIver
Gone Traveling

M.O.C. #12840
Got the optic cable today. Is the three foot length long enough (rig is in for mx and I can not get to it immediately)
McIver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #5
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

If the TV is in a separate compartment from where the player/amp is located; you’ll probably need at least a 6’ piece. I find that it takes that length to keep it out of the way. By the time it’s redirected it takes way more length than one might guess at first thought.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Tomg
Established Member

M.O.C. #12667
I purchased a 2013 3150RL that has a samsong HT D 550 installed interconnected with the TV. It's a complete disaster. I've had help from two reasonably intelligent knowable people. It takes seven steps to open the cd drawer. No AM receiver only FM hence no ball games. One has to deal with a "anynet" program that I havn't quite figured out. I sent it back to the repair station and got it back with no explanation as to what was wrong with it but I suspect there was nothing wrong with it to start with. The call in service is no help and their web site has hundreds of questions with no answers. Good thing the TV works with one click. If I want radio or a cd player I'll get a Boze.
Tomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
the new 3400 had surround sound for only the DVD. have tried to get surround sound from my satellite receiver and just off air cable/air but can't figure it out. tried the internet and still to confusing...i'm lost after they passed "stereo" systems 20 years ago.
i did pull out the optical cable and did get around surround from the satellite receiver but not surround sound.

oh well, there goes another $100 to somebody who knows what is what.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
When I got my 3400RL, I took the surround sound system out (it was junk), and replaced it wiht a Sony. I used the same speakers that were installed at the factory, and it works fine on tv, cable, dvd, and satellite.
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Tomg
Established Member

M.O.C. #12667
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had problems. Looked up the complaints with samsung and found there was 935 negative complaints out of 1083 total. Mine I suppose is in the negative group. Terrible,I hope Montana/Keystone stops putting that junk in their units. I'll try and advise Keystone of the bad servive and equipment. Doubt if I have any luck.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Tomg
Established Member

M.O.C. #12667
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has had problems. Looked up the complaints with samsung and found there was 935 negative complaints out of 1083 total. Mine I suppose is in the negative group. Terrible,I hope Montana/Keystone stops putting that junk in their units. I'll try and advise Keystone of the bad servive and equipment. Doubt if I have any luck. Futher, On FM no seek capability for stations,no surround sound out of the back speakers,bad,bad,bad. There,now I feel better,still don't work tho.