Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2019, 02:08 PM   #21
stepheco18

M.O.C. #22686
winterize Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredetteb View Post
I'm about to winterize our 2018 381TH for the first time and don't know how much antifreeze to buy. Since we have been full-time we've always managed to stay in warm locations, but this year we are going to store the RV and stay in a "real house"

I've winterized other RVs we've owned but this will be the first time with this one. I just don't know if I should get 2 bottles or 20? Any one have any idea?
I would use 4 bottles of you have washer/dryer.

stepheco18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:19 PM   #22
saber707
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17531
2-3 gallons.
saber707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:42 PM   #23
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
We have a 2019 HM331RL. We have the Samsung residential refrigerator with the ice maker and I had our rig winterized this past Monday. I was told to empty the refrigerator and leave the frig doors and freezer drawer open at least 24 hours prior to winterizing. I had gone to our camper two weeks prior to winterizing and opened all the faucets and low-point drains after turning off the water. When we leave (it is on a rented site in a campground that is open March thru part of November) our camper after a weekend stay, we always turn off the water heater and the water. I went back about two weeks ago (we live in mid-state NC) and did all this because it was supposed to get really cold for several days or longer. I did leave the shore power connected and ran a ceramic tower heater with thermostat until I could get back this past Sunday afternoon.

Now to get back to the real story. The guy I had come to winterize disconnected the water line that runs along the outside of the slide that contains the entertainment system, stove/oven and refrigerator. This line goes to our refrigerator, He blue air thru the line to the ice maker to blow out any water. I had shut off the water supply to the ice maker earlier.

This is a new rig for us and a little different from our 2007 Keystone Cougar that I had winterized myself in the past. I wasn't quite sure about how to use this 'new" winterization system on our new coach so, I paid a local company to winterize and they will also come back and de-winterize in March 2020. Next year, I can do this on my own, but is still a two person job. Need someone inside to watch for the 'pink stuff' to come out of the faucets and someone to operate the pump on the outside pushing the antifreeze ('pink stuff') into the plumbing system. Don't forget to depressurize the water heater and remove the anode to drain the water heater and also by-pass the water heater.

Hope this diatribe was helpful.

John
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #24
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Well, thats pretty economical for a $2.50 worth of antifreeze per gallon
https://www.campingworld.com/boiler-...lon-72724.html
Here is what I get. Wish I lived in your hood.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #25
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I use 2 gallons including all faucets, outside shower, and W/D. I collect what comes out of each faucet in a cup and run it thru again until I am sure all of the water lines are full.

I do blow it out ahead of time... I always put the water heater in bypass, remove the anode rod (drain) and then hook up the air. It is amazing how fast the water exits the water heater with 45 PSI pushing it. I have it in my head I blow out a lot more sediment that way, rather than just letting it drip. I leave the drain out and put a piece of cotton clothes line rope in the drain hole to wick out any remaining water. Concrete will be wet under that rope for a week or so afterward as it wicks out the bottom of the tank.

I only blow out the black tank flusher and have never had an issue... again with 45 PSI.

Whatever antifreeze remains goes in all the traps.

20 years of this method and never a problem.
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote