Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Weep holes - for condensation?

I took my 372rd to a service center today for a water leak in the slide (and other issues). I told the tech I thought the weep holes might be draining into the wall. He said the weep holes only drain inside condensation on the windows to the outside. That was news to me. Does it sound correct?

Ohioken7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioken7 View Post
I took my 372rd to a service center today for a water leak in the slide (and other issues). I told the tech I thought the weep holes might be draining into the wall. He said the weep holes only drain inside condensation on the windows to the outside. That was news to me. Does it sound correct?
The weep holes should drain to the outside. I suppose if inside condensation was to drip into the window channel, it would also drain to the outside.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Any water in the channel should weep to the exterior. That doesn't guarantee it does...If there are any voids in the frame you could have leaking into the wall. Why do you suspect that it is?
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 05:52 PM   #4
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
I suspect because I removed the window after a heavy rain and the wall was Wet and mushrooms were growing in the wall (yes gross and we bleached it). We have been having wet floors and we had techs look at it in September. They thought the sweeps or the D seal.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
If you pulled the window out, could you see where the water was coming in? Was it wet at the bottom only or also around and on the top?

It's possible that the window isn't/wasn't installed correctly so that water is coming in around it. Also possible that there are in fact void(s) in the sill letting water into the wall below. Also possible that it's not the window at all but coming from the roof.

With the window out of the wall you could put some water in the track and see if it leaks through anywhere.

Also with the window out you can tape plastic over the opening to keep water out of the rig and watch when it's raining to see if there is any water moving into the opening from above.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:03 AM   #6
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I have helped two fellow campers fix window leak problems. In both cases the window wasn't centered in the opening. They cut the opening about 3/4" larger than window. If window is perfectly centered no leaks. If installed off center the sealant doesn't go into opening instead of being compressed window leaks.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:47 AM   #7
Ohioken7
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23846
Thanks. I suspect this is my issue. I am waiting to see what keystone will approve. Do you have suggestions in the meantime? Should I remove the window and reinstall with butyl tape or foam maybe? It will be another month before i can get it in.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:05 AM   #8
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
At my first job out of college, I worked for a window company that is now owned by Lippert.

The weep holes are there to let ANY water out that may get into the window. The RV windows (at least back in the day) were designed to actually keep out water as much as possible, but were also designed to be able to handle water leaking thru the seals, and ultimately out the weep holes.

During a simulated rain test, I've actually seen windows with water standing in the channels, and still taking on water, but all of the water is draining out of the weep holes.

RV windows are different than stick windows. When RV windows are installed properly, while they may take on water, they shouldn't actually leak into the unit...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 AM   #9
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioken7 View Post
Thanks. I suspect this is my issue. I am waiting to see what keystone will approve. Do you have suggestions in the meantime? Should I remove the window and reinstall with butyl tape or foam maybe? It will be another month before i can get it in.
My three previous campers were Sunnybrook and they used closed cell foam. Montana uses butyl tape. Either will work just fine just make sure window is centered.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
At my first job out of college, I worked for a window company that is now owned by Lippert.

The weep holes are there to let ANY water out that may get into the window. The RV windows (at least back in the day) were designed to actually keep out water as much as possible, but were also designed to be able to handle water leaking thru the seals, and ultimately out the weep holes.

During a simulated rain test, I've actually seen windows with water standing in the channels, and still taking on water, but all of the water is draining out of the weep holes.

RV windows are different than stick windows. When RV windows are installed properly, while they may take on water, they shouldn't actually leak into the unit...

Oh yea, LOL. You should have been in our unit at a beach campground in Maryland mid October. For 7 of the 14 day trip the wind was blowing 50+ mph. Then it monsooned with the wind. Water filled up the channels and was literally blowing through the window into the camper on to the dinning table. We gave up and closed the slides and went out to get some refreshments.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Oh yea, LOL. You should have been in our unit at a beach campground in Maryland mid October. For 7 of the 14 day trip the wind was blowing 50+ mph. Then it monsooned with the wind. Water filled up the channels and was literally blowing through the window into the camper on to the dinning table. We gave up and closed the slides and went out to get some refreshments.
Well, they probably don't work all that week when wind is forcing water backwards thru the week holes.

At any rate, they are there to handle more water than you would expect...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
That's exactly what was happening. Water was blowing backwards though the weep holes like a faucet. LOL
Old 11-20-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
Geezertrekker

M.O.C. #23632
Trust me there is wisdom and balony in some of the replies. Was in window and glass business for 30 years.
1. Weep holes ONLY direct water outward from the outside pane of glass
2. When window is out if water is at bottom of opening the seal around the window is probably leaking. Use window and door sealant all around.
3. If wall is wet above window your leak is not coming from window Probably roof or seams above. And not always directly above. Water will move along path of least resistance. Leak could be coming from several feet away. Check both directions 3-4 feet.
4. If you have condensation (water on the inside pane) it has nothing to do with rain or water coming from the outside. You need air movement to combat condensation.
Geezertrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:44 AM   #14
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
I had a leak in the pass thru door. pass thru floor was soaked. Dried everything out and sealed/caulked the whole door & latches. water was getting in past the metal strip above the door hinge, then into the weep hopes. When the channel filled up in the bottom, water overflowed onto the floor.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote