Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2019, 12:12 AM   #1
ebds2019
Established Member

M.O.C. #23940
Dually Tire Rotation

Hey everyone. So I have a 2019 Chevy 3500 dually. Fantastic for towing my heavy 5th wheel............. but ........ I have two questions:

1. OnStar is telling me it's almost time to rotate the tires. I have special valve stems on the back tires to make it easy to put air in all 4 back tires. How do you rotate the tires on a dually?

2. The other question pertains to tire pressure. The truck tires say maxiumum pressure 80 PSI cold. That's what I fill them to when towing the 5th wheel. But do you folks lower the tire pressures on the dually when you're not towing for periods of time? If so, how far down do you lower them? I have Michelin tires on the truck (don't remember the exact model).

ebds2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 02:33 AM   #2
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I usually rotate the front tires side to side only as the rears should wear fine. For the newer trucks with only 4 aluminum wheels and two steel inner wheels, by the time you pay to have them broken down, dismounted, remounted, rotated and balanced every 5-7k miles, you've just about paid for a set of front tires.
As for tire pressures, I run 65 in the rears most all of the time and 75-80 in the front as my truck does mostly pulling. With these pressures, the ride is decent. Many will run max pressures constantly though to keep from having to air them down and back up again. I would suggest that you check all of them each time you tow heavy though.
Old 10-28-2019, 04:29 AM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I use the chart on the drivers door to set pressures, as for rotation i opted for steel wheels, then any tire in any position at any time. A transporter that i talked to once in a rest area recommended the steel rims as he was also tired of the rotation problem with aluminum rims.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Have never rotated the tires on my Dually. I generally swap out because of age, not mileage. Don't use the truck for anything except towing except during our Florida snowbird season. I set the tire pressure at 80 and generally just leave it there.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
As a couple of folks have already stated, aluminum/alloy rims present a problem. And to a lesser extent, so do raised white outlined letters.

I tried before at about 7,000 miles and it was a learning experience for both me and the dealer I went to. I thought I had alloy rims and raised white letters at ALL positions and everything would swap around fine. I was wrong. After the dealer broke down everything, they informed me that the two rear inners were on steel rims and the tires were blackwalls not raised white letters. After much consternation, we settled on a rotation. Unfortunately, their tire/wheel guy boogered up three of my rims. They replaced them at over a grand each. We both also learned that the front and rear alloy rims are not the same. So now its fronts side to side and nothing to the rears unless they show uneven wear.

If you do have steel rims and blackwalls all the way around, there is a rotation pattern.
left front to right rear inner
right rear inner to right rear outer
right rear outer to right front
right front to left rear inner
left rear inner to left rear outer
left rear outer to left front

As far as tire pressure goes, use the sticker on the truck.
That's the recommended for your truck's GVWR/GCWR/PAYLOAD.
For some reason, handling I assume, you do not inflate EVERY tire to the same psi. Rears are generally 10psi lower than the fronts. On my Ford its 75psi front and 65psi rear. That being said, I run 75psi front and 70psi rear. Those numbers appear to give me the best ride and best wear.

Running your tires at the max psi listed on the tire does increase the payload capacity of the tire. But, if you do not need that extra and leave your tires inflated to the max, your ride will be harsher and your tires will wear more in the middle.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:03 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Over the years I've had a number of trucks and driven a lot of miles and never rotated the tires on any of them and got the mileage the tire folks bragged about on each truck each time. On our dually I set the fronts at 80 and the rears on 65 and leave them there as it recommends on the door. The neighbor hear at Enchanted Trails ask me just yesterday how many miles my tires had on them as he's look to buy some new ones. When I told him a little over 40,000 he said that's how many his tires have on them and they are worn out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Many of you may not know this, but the stock alum wheels are exact the same on the front and rear (at least on my 14). They can be rotated.

However, unless you are very meticulous at keeping the wheels clean on both sides, your will end up like mine. So dirty on the one side that I cant get them clean with anything.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I have the aluminum wheels and never rotate. That being said if I ever buy another new truck I will never get aluminum wheels again. Not because of the rotation issue, but because of the damage issue when buying new tires. Trying to find a tire place that 1st. can handle/ balance dually wheels and 2nd not damage aluminum wheels is very hard.
Goodyear gouged one of my front alum. wheels and refused to pay for it. I almost got into a fight with the owner and had to leave before I got arrested. Then Sams Club damaged one of my rear alum wheels but they paid for it. I dred when it comes time to buy tires for that reason...
Old 11-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by DmaxDually View Post
I have the aluminum wheels and never rotate. That being said if I ever buy another new truck I will never get aluminum wheels again. Not because of the rotation issue, but because of the damage issue when buying new tires. Trying to find a tire place that 1st. can handle/ balance dually wheels and 2nd not damage aluminum wheels is very hard.
Goodyear gouged one of my front alum. wheels and refused to pay for it. I almost got into a fight with the owner and had to leave before I got arrested. Then Sams Club damaged one of my rear alum wheels but they paid for it. I dred when it comes time to buy tires for that reason...
I have had many trucks with aluminum wheels and have had many tires installed on them without any issues (just had 7 new tires installed on truck in sig ). I think you need to find a more reputable place to give your business to.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #10
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I have had many trucks with aluminum wheels and have had many tires installed on them without any issues (just had 7 new tires installed on truck in sig ). I think you need to find a more reputable place to give your business to.
Believe me I'm still looking. I had a chevy dealer tell me that they don't do Dually/aluminum wheels and they sell the dam trucks. It's a 2 part problem. The 1st part is the aluminum rim issue and the second bigger part is that my truck is a crew cab, long bed dually. The majority of "tire" places in my area can't handle it. They tell me they can but they can't and they don't have the large size cone to hold the wheel on the spin balancer.
The guy at GoodYear broke his lift when he tried to lift my truck. It was an "H" lift. He pulled it into the bay, he positioned the the arms on the lift under the frame and proceeded to lift the truck. Once the lift started taking the weight off the suspension, my tires were still on the ground, one of the arms on the lift snapped. Luckily my truck wasn't off the ground yet..I wish I could find a place that I don't have to worry about getting my wheels or truck damaged..
Old 11-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #11
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
Quote:
Believe me I'm still looking. I had a chevy dealer tell me that they don't do Dually/aluminum wheels and they sell the dam trucks. It's a 2 part problem. The 1st part is the aluminum rim issue and the second bigger part is that my truck is a crew cab, long bed dually. The majority of "tire" places in my area can't handle it. They tell me they can but they can't and they don't have the large size cone to hold the wheel on the spin balancer.
The guy at GoodYear broke his lift when he tried to lift my truck. It was an "H" lift. He pulled it into the bay, he positioned the the arms on the lift under the frame and proceeded to lift the truck. Once the lift started taking the weight off the suspension, my tires were still on the ground, one of the arms on the lift snapped. Luckily my truck wasn't off the ground yet..I wish I could find a place that I don't have to worry about getting my wheels or truck damaged..
Have you tried Dick Norris GMC in Palm Harbor? We spend the winter months near there but haven't had them do any tire work. But what warranty and other work we've had there was very good. Got a great deal a year ago from a GMC dealer in St. Clair, MI on a set of Goodyear Kevlars. But they botched the balance on one front tire and broke 2 of the TPMS sensors. Won't go there again.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
You would not believe the place that I have been going to for many years. Its basically a small po dunk tire dealer. It consists of a residential house with an old shack full of state of the art tire equipment behind it. Mostly Mexicans doing the work. They have NO lifts of any kind. They used 4 floor jacks to lift my truck. I called the day before and got prices. They cant be beat. Tires were waiting for me the next day. From the time I arrived to the time I drove away was less that an hour to mount/balance and install 7 new tires.

K&k tires in Linthicum MD
Old 11-14-2019, 11:21 AM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

One of the reasons I rotate my own tires. The other reason, is that a lot of places torque your wheels, but the problem is they set the air wrench too tight ,and all they do is hear the torque wrench click, they are already too tight.

With that being said ,I buy my tires pretty much from the same dealer . Have had no issues with them damaging my alloy wheels. They always match prices, and even if they don't carry what I want ,they will get them.

What I do is stand over them ,and won't let them use the air wrench, and as said the only chance they get with my wheels is the mounting ,and balancing when I purchase them . After that I rotate. I know thats not for everyone ,but so far I rotate myself. There will be a day I'm sure when I won't want too. But at 72 not a problem yet.

Another thing, back many years ago , I did go in for a rotation, and balance, he asked me when I said I need them rotated ,and balanced, do they need balancing ,and I said they feel fine , just thought they were supposed to be balance when rotated. He told me if there was no issue with them leave them alone. To this day I have yet felt like I needed tires balanced , lucky ? ,maybe.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
[QUOTE=PSFORD99;1166302]One of the reasons I rotate my own tires. The other reason, is that a lot of places torque your wheels, but the problem is they set the air wrench too tight ,and all they do is hear the torque wrench click, they are already too tight.

With that being said ,I buy my tires pretty much from the same dealer . Have had no issues with them damaging my alloy wheels. They always match prices, and even if they don't carry what I want ,they will get them.

What I do is stand over them ,and won't let them use the air wrench, and as said the only chance they get with my wheels is the mounting ,and balancing when I purchase them . After that I rotate. I know thats not for everyone ,but so far I rotate myself. There will be a day I'm sure when I won't want too. But at 72 not a problem yet.

Another thing, back many years ago , I did go in for a rotation, and balance, he asked me when I said I need them rotated ,and balanced, do they need balancing ,and I said they feel fine , just thought they were supposed to be balance when rotated. He told me if there was no issue with them leave them alone. To this day I have yet felt like I needed tires balanced , lucky ? ,maybe.[/QUOTE

I will not let them tighten mine too tight. In fact, I reinstalled the wheels. I carry an torque wrench with me at all times are do it my self.