Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2014, 02:28 AM   #1
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
SOB"S are using G114 tires H rated.

Was cruising through CW yesterday and saw that SOB's were using this tire Goodyear G114 215/75R17.5 H rated. I saw these on what I would consider to be equal or lesser type category 5th wheel than the Montana.

Here's the link to the Goodyear tire - http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/ti...rodline=160807

Again seems like the mighty Montana is lagging behind. I don't want to hear that Keystone will be putting this tire on the Bigsky, if they do or will at all. The fact is simply that the SOB's were not putting them on their top of line.

I know that in most of the MOC's opinion that the Montana is the "Bang for the buck" and I agree too, but it just seems to rub me the wrong way after spending so much money, that WE have to spend even more for to have certain "Peace of mind" features added.

I mean, even at The Rally Keystone is showing us their new units with the same inferior tires, but blowing their own horns on "look at the new LED lighting", "Look at the new wood color", etc...

How about Keystone saying "look at the new safety features we've added and or changed. I know, I know, safety doesn't sell.

Whew........ I guess I went on a little rant, huh?

Ok, I'm done venting. "Honey is that coffee finally ready yet?????

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:52 AM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
We went looking at new 5th wheels too and yep a bunch of them got G 614's on them which made me happy....didn't see any with H rated tires, although we were not looking are real heavy 5ers...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When the buying public becomes aware of the tire issue, Keystone will change. Until then it's "our rig is better and cheaper" and folks are buying it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:28 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I feel soooo good that I jumped over the g rated tires and went straight to the H rated wheels and tires. Cheaper than fixing a monty after a major tire failure...okay...the two blow outs on the marathons got my attention...guess I was not smart enough to change those out when one camper in georgia told me he lost a couple of them. John
Old 11-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We have had perfect service with two sets of G614s.
I did listen closely to the Tredit Rep at the rally and he said clearly to keep them aired to 110 and not to expect any troubles. He also said that G614s were the only tire that had a longer than five year life, saying they would go seven or more.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 05:59 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
have to disagree with ya a little on this one Before we bought our 2015 a few months ago we looked at MANY SOB's in the "mid Luxury" category before we got our Monty and only a very few had G rated tires on them the vast majority still have ST E rated tires ,My dealer would have upgraded to G614's for us at a great price but I already had New LT G rated tires on my trade in so I had them transfer them to the new one and Problem solved but you are right it is crazy that Keystone would put ST E's on a 13,200 LB DRY rig but all the big players ,Heartland Big horn,Forest River Cardinal, Jayco Pinnacle,Grand Designs Solitude etc...still put cheap E rated tires on their big rigs it is a OPTION to Put G's on all these just like Montana,and if you are talking Redwood 5er's they are in the same category as our Big Sky not our Montana's
Old 11-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As far as we know the Big Sky is OEM with G614 tires. Our 2013 3402 Big sky came OEM with G614s. I do agree that the heaver Montana's should have the G614 or they should a order option.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I upgraded to 17.5 inch rims and G114 tires. My upgrade was because if rim failure. The cracked in the hub and lost air. My F rated Carlisile tires survived well. They were the newer version vice old ones. The new G114s survivable the Alaska trip nicely.
Tredit replaced the 16" rims under warranty but I did not want failure the third time in the wilderness.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

I upgraded to 17.5 inch rims and G114 tires. My upgrade was because if rim failure. They cracked in the hub and lost air. My F rated Carlisile tires survived well. They were the newer version vice old ones. The new G114s survived the Alaska trip nicely.
Tredit replaced the 16" rims under warranty but I did not want failure the third time in the wilderness.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

The G114 “H” rated tire cost less that the G614. The drawback is having to purchase rims the first time.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:13 PM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Yep Big Horns come with G614's along with I think some of the Columbus's and there where others just cant remember the brands....some of the heavier Cedar Creek Silverback's had LT tires on them....
Old 11-02-2014, 07:03 PM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
steelpony5555 have you shopped for any new 5er's lately ?? l have ALOT just looked at Big Horn's and Palimino Columbus AND Bay Hill etc... before I bought my new Monty and None has G rated tires as standard tires ,if they did they were added as a option as a matter of fact the Columbus does not even offer it as a option,like I said I looked at most brands before I bought mine a few months ago and ST E rated are the Norm
Old 11-03-2014, 01:34 AM   #13
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
There are many popular and middle to upper quality without Goodyear G614's. It's not just the Keystone Montana line that still uses the ST tire. It's all about buyer beware. We or I learned alot and still do after I bought a 5th wheel and not all prior to my purchases.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 03:58 AM   #14
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmm yep bout 3 weeks ago below is off of the Heartland Big Horn site you'll see comes with G rated tires....the ones on Columbus may have been a toy hauler.

Correct Track Alignment System
Heavy-Duty G-Rated 16#733; Tires
Aluminum Rims
Spare Tire
E-Z Flex™ Suspension System by Dexter with Quad Shocks - for the Smoothest Ride Around
7,000 lb. Dexter Axles with Easy-Lube™ Hubs (All Models)
2#733; x 12#733; Nev-R-Adjust Brakes by Dexter
Monogrammed ABS Fender Skirts

Some may have been options as below is off the Evergreen site

Optional Features
MOR/ryde® Rubber Pinbox
Raised Axles for 4-Wheel Drive Truck
Dexter 8,000 lb. Axles & Disc Brakes
Nev-R-Lube™ Axles
2" Rear Hitch Receiver with Skid Bars
Goodyear® G-Range Tires with 16" Wheels (Including Spare)
Goodyear® H-Range Tires with 17½" Wheels (Including Spare)
TRC® Electric Marine Cord Reel for rear off-door side compartment
MOR/ryde Independent Suspension in Chassis with Dexter (2) 8000 lb. Axle & Disc Brakes

below is off Cedar Creek

for Improved Stopping Power in Half the Distance
•E-Z Flex™ Rubber Equalization System
with 1/2#8243; Link Plates and 8 Grease Zerks per Side
•Heavy Duty Axles with Bronze Bushings in Shackles
(No Plastic Bushings Like Our Competitors)
•Correct Track Trailer Alignment System
•8-Lug, LT, "G" Rated, Goodyear Tires (American made)
on 7,000 Axles (36CKTS, 38CK, 38FL, 38RE

below is Cardinal...listed as an option

•5.5 LP Generator (Includes prep)
•“Level Up” 6-Point One Touch Automatic Hydraulic Leveling System
•Outside Ice Maker
•Bike Hitch
•Exterior Entertainment Center with 32#8243; LED TV
•G-rated Goodyear Tires

But we saw many 5th wheels with either the G rated tires and some with the 17.5 inch wheels and some with LT tires....That was just last month and we were surprised to see that.....Most 5th wheels also came standard with the EZ Flex or Equafles suspension which is still an option on the Montana.....although I do have to give credit to Keystone since I see they now list G rated tires as an option.....but when we went to look at them on a Montana dealers lot none had them on?????? But the dealer was willing to work a "deal"....hmmm imagine that....lol lol
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 AM   #15
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
To be honest we went to Fun Town RV in Waco and the salesman there agreed that there is a problem with ST tire and they get a lot of repairs from blowouts. Said that's one of the reasons they order their heavier 5ers with the G rated tire cause customers are not happy if they have a blow out and it reflects back on them as well as the manufacturer. Now the salesman at the Montana dealer when I asked about getting G or LT tires put gave me the usual deer in the headlight look and the normal "Well I never heard of that" response. Give you 3 guesses which dealer I will buy from.............That is gonna be the new problem, now that manufacturers are offering better tires, dealers won't order them in because of cost....
Old 11-03-2014, 06:48 AM   #16
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Like I said before Alot of them offer G614's as a OPTION not standard Equip Which ALL of these brands should including us, My Dealer has heard it MANY,MANY times about the E rated tires and that is why they would put G614's on at Their cost if I wanted them but I already had new one's on my trade in AND EZ FLEX Susp????? as a option? no big deal I would not call that a upgrade from the New Montana's which come with the Mor Ryde LRE 4100 AND Correct track
Old 11-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Well if you got a dealer that admits to the problem keep him. Just saying the lot I was on deal in several different brands and most all his heavier, upper crust rigs had either G rated, LT or 17.5 tires already on them....my Montana dealer which had maybe 10 rigs were all ST tires and few had any type of upgraded suspension....I'm not talking Big Sky here..that's just a Montana with all their options. The Mor-ryde is an option for regular Montana's I believe unless they changed this year...,....
Old 11-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #18
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep the Dealer also told me just as many people do not care or just do not know about the ST E rated tire issue OR do not want to spend the extra money for the G614 option so they let the customer decide if that is important to them,my buddy with a SOB that is almost as heavy as mine is not worried about it and neither are bunch of other Montana owners I have met on the road with ST E's... SOOOO whatcha gonna do?? I see it as a problem and took care of it as have many on this Forum

Old 11-04-2014, 02:09 AM   #19
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I agree with everyones findings on the tires. Some tire upgrades may not be coming from the manufacture, but the dealers. But either way, the people or companies that are in the know do the correct and moral thing and upgrade the tires do to their findings and repair histories.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 AM   #20
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
G614's became an option on non-BigSky models the year we bought ours-April 2012. It was made available on the 2013 model year. I tried to get the option after I had ordered, but was told it was too late for my unit-it was already on the production schedule with a VIN#. Comments so far have referred to what is on dealers lots. Dealers order units to sell. Adding an expensive option like G614's, dual pane windows or second A/C boost the price and might make the uneducated buyer less likely to purchase. Because Montana's are price like they are, I think it's likely that it is their first "heavy" RV. They've not had a tire problem on their previous RV's and so don't expect any on a new purchase. Thank goodness there are forums such as ours to educate those new to the Montana family.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote