Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #1
snoking

M.O.C. #8873
Question on E rated Marathon Tires

My friend has a new 3400RL and it came with the Goodyear Marathon 235/80/R16 E rated ST's. How are this chinese Marathon tires standing up to the job? He is leaving for Arizona soon and I think he should put G614 on it.

Chris

snoking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Chris, Although we have had numerous failures with the Mission tires there have been no reports on the Goodyears as yet. Just because they are made in China does not mean they are junk. Back in the 50s and 60s Japan started exporting everything they could to the US. Here in the states we all called it "Jap Junk". Well in the past 50 years this "Jap Junk" has proved itself to be as good as if not better than a lot of our Made in USA stuff. China maybe the next Japan.
Don't get me wrong, I didn't support the Japanese back than and I am not necessarily supporting China today. We must face the facts that unless the USofA manufacturers get their acts together in another 50 years everything we buy will be made in Japan, Korea or China.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
SREIGLE had several blow outs with the Maratahon tires on his prior trailer. Not sure the Goodyear equipped Monatana's have been out long enough for any kind of track record. RV.net may shed some light assuming SOB have used them in the past.

By the way - Welcome to the Forum!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:05 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, we had enough problems with the Marathons that I'll never again have them on my trailer. We had them on our 1999 Jayco Eagle, 2001 Montana and 2003 Montana. I always carefully checked tire pressure and tire condition. I never managed to wear out the tread before the Marathon would blow.

On the other hand, others have reported no problems with their Marathons. If it were me, I'd run them until they prove they should be removed. Just be sure to have a road service, like Good Sam's ERS or similar, to change the tire for you. It's not always an easy task when you're sitting on a sloped interstate highway shoulder three feet from the semi's going by and rocking the trailer. Bottle jacks are not a good idea in that situation.

We put BF Goodrich Commercial T/A E rated tires on our prior Montana after the Marathon problems and had zero problems with those tires. This Montana came with Missions. Two have been replaced under warranty with the Freestar tires (no problems so far) and the remaining Missions are about to be replaced, also. Same problems.

The G14 is a good tire and your friend should have good luck with them. However, if it were me, I'd run them at 80 psi rather than the rated 110. I **think** at 80 their rated for the Montana weight. If he runs 110 where they're rated for higher weights they may be too hard for the Montana's weight and may well shake things pretty good back there. That's just a thought. No facts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 05:32 AM   #5
snoking

M.O.C. #8873
Anyone put a lot of trouble free miles on a new trailer with the LRE ST235/80R16 rated to 3420 LBS? Trying to gain knowledge for my friend and all those that post tire questions on rv.net. SNOKING
snoking is offline   Reply With Quote