Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
adding AC outlets

We are in a 2007 3400RL. We want to replace the mattress with a Sleep Number bed, so I want to add an AC outlet in the bedroom. I would also like to add two on the outside of the coach - one in front and one street side. Has anyone done any of this? Any suggestions would be appreciated. As always, TIA for the massive collective wisdom of this group!

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:55 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yepper!
I installed two in the bedroom, one under the bed, and one in the bathroom. I also have a 3400RL.
For the front bed side, you can tap into the outlet for the bedroom TV set, run your power line over the slider doors, down to the drivers side wall. Now this will be inboard of the sliders.
Second option is to run power to the basement from the 120 volt power panel, down the wall, inside or outside it, to the basement. Put an outlet there, then come off it to the area under the bed. Put outlet there, from there, drill down to the underside of the overhang, put an outlet there. From the under-bed outlet, run a power line to an outlet in the bed frame on the front side, leave slack in the SO cord, (Extension cord material).
Check my Mod pictures under my Sig. let me know of any questions. Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #3
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
I’m in the process of adding additional outlets in our 3400RL, in the process of finding which breaker’s I needed and looking inside the electrical panel I’ve found that the main natural along with other natural and grounds were loose in the buss bars.

Now for the really good news It seems that the old world craftsmen, were in such a hurry to get ours out the door, or get to the local watering hole they cut through the insulation on the three main feeders as they come through the back of the panel exposing the copper on all the wires. So if you are going into the panel at all check for this in yours. I took the panel apart and put heat shrink tubing on mine. It’s a very easy fix to do, but can cause a short over time if not fixed.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad you checked it!
Yea, all my common and a few of the line wires were real loose. Not happy at all, since many who are not so inclined will suffer.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:35 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ozz, I have an '06 3400 RL that I have never used yet and quite frankly electricity scares the hell out of me. Should I have a licensed electrician check it out or have the guys at the dealership check it? Not sure who to turn too in these instances....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 04:38 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
ELECTRICIAN, please. The dealership guys vary in competence. Too much at stake to take any chances.
Ozz
Old 01-03-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pparamore

Ozz, I have an '06 3400 RL that I have never used yet and quite frankly electricity scares the hell out of me. Should I have a licensed electrician check it out or have the guys at the dealership check it? Not sure who to turn too in these instances....
There's no risk involved if you perform your inspections with the RV unplugged and the battery switch turned off. Then you can pull the circuit breaker panel and tighten the lugs.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Steve, you are correct, as far as facts go.
But if I am giving advice to someone, I try to 'read between the lines.' Phil stated the electricity scares him, therefore, I would assume he hasn't worked with it before, and doesn't care to. Even with the power unhooked, he wouldn't know if he saw something in the panels that was dangerous, or broke a breaker (which is easy to do with those thinlines with a screwdriver that is just a little too large) The cheap way they use plastic friction attachment to secure wire, so many things that an experienced eye would catch.
Just because one can do something, does not mean they should.
That is why I suggested an electrician. Money well spent.
Ozz
Old 01-03-2007, 03:16 AM   #9
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
There are many ways to add AC receptacles. Do a search on the subject in the Additions and Improvement section here and you will find some pretty good info.
I added a receptacle to my bedroom that gets its power from the 20 amp breaker on my outside RV Power box (rated 70 Amp). That way we can run a hair dryer or electric space heater and not use any amps from my factory 30 AMP trailer capacity.

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 AM   #10
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Ozz:
Completely agree and well said. I have to laugh to myself when doing a job when a customer or a friend replies thats easy, theres nothing to it. Anything is easy when you know what you are doing, that applies to any trade or task. Learning is doing and experience and we have to thank you for sharing your knowledge and wit.

Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Ozz has an electrician do the OE receptacles on your trailer scare you. I changed out a receptacle because I needed a 20amp plug and the OE outlet with there slide in wire connection bother me?? The more heavy used ones I'd like to switch out.. SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:56 AM   #12
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
They are what they are...slide in can ONLY be used with 14 gauge wire, stripped back at point of contact to slot. I do not consider it any worse than the push-in home outlets that have existed for years. It is a better connection to wrap clockwise on (hook bulk wire on left side around screw ending on right side) so when tightening screw terminal it sinks it under screw head...but these are Recreational Vehicles not homes and the debate rages on.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Don't really scare me, as they are safe, IF wired correctly, just cheap and inferior, and prone to problems if all is not perfect in the wiring.
I change them out when I come across any mods with wiring.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:10 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
OZZ, Your post of 3 Jan is right on. I have never worked with electricity and to look at wiring diagrams and the such is like looking into a bowl of chow mein for me and trying to figure what goes where. I would do plumbing before I would do elec. You mess up a plumbing job and you might get a leak or bad smell. Mess up elec and, well, you know the rest of the story. I would really like a life "DO OVER" to learn more about the things I know nothing about, But until that happens, I will gladly pay an expert for such work. I al beleive , wholeheartedly, in your saying about getting what you pay for. I usually never go with the cheap guys, for obvious reasons.

I might just have to move to Kansas City some day, lol!!!!!

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Phil, Sue and I decided to sell the homestead and continue hitting the road, so there may be an Ozz near you some day!
Old 01-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim and Sue
In that case, Northern and Central California should be your next adventure. Just in time to make the Spring Rally and the Shasta gathering.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Ozz,
I have checked the power box and tightened all the loose wires. There are empty slots for breakers, I'm currently runing a drop cord thru the closet to the bed to run our Blanket, want to make it more perment, where did you get the breakers to add a curcut into the basement and over to the bed? Or did you splice into another? Is that the same line you out under the front overhang?

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #18
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I can answer part of your question the breaker are available at any major hardware store. I added two GFI receptacles in the basement area and one in the front compartment. Installed new breaker and ran Romex wire to each. Not the OZZ but you can go to town and get the parts till OZZ come along.SeeYa
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:52 AM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well said, Dennis. I ran the front overhang from the basement service, power management is the key. I know where I can pull the greatest amount of Amps, or power, and which circuits I have to be parsomonious with.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 AM   #20
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Great, I dont need to pay the RV price for the breakers, the Home Depot has the regular for the home and some slim ones that have a hook on the bottom and a medal plug prongs on top and one with a medal prongs on the bottom, and hooks on the top. just need to see which fits mine and get a 15 and 20 Amp for spare,they don't cost much.

Thanks
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote