Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2007, 03:11 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Austin Texas

Sue and I have decided to stop for a week or so in Austin, we were going to San Antonio, but have spent time there last year.
Any tips for us in Austin? Places to stay, sights to see?
Only thing I know about it, is to not take the low road on the highway going through.
Thanks in advance.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Ozz, my friend,
I remember Steve Reigle had some very pleasant experiences in Austin and will, no doubt, be along to share from those experiences.

I only pop in to say that we, being 'travelers' and not full-timers, tend to prefer the State Parks. We stayed out at McKinney Falls State Park out on the Southeast side of Austin; a very delightful stay.

Only one comment to those who have any choice of travel routes: Austin is one of the most congested cities to 'pass through'.

The Bob Bullock museum, the Lyndon Johnson Presidential Library, The University of Texas, The State Capitol--many other places of interest make a stay in Austin worthwhile.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Something you might consider is a trip to LBJ's home site. It is now a National Park and located at Stonewall between Johnson City and Fredericksburg on US290. There are also a number of wineries on 290. Fredericksburg has many things to see, mainly a museum for Admiral Chester Nimitz, this was his home. Lots of good German places to eat in Fredericksburg.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good tips, I sent away for their visitor's booklet too. As of this date, I think we will stay right downtown at Austin Lonestar, but that may change with input and further research.
Thanks, guys. (We usually drive through Austin and stay in Budda.)
Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 AM   #5
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

My son lives in Round Rock.

We spent a ~month in Georgetown at the San Gabriel RV Park just a short distance from Austin. The price was right, the people were real nice and the convenience for us was there.

San Gabriel River RV Resort
40005 Heritage Hollow
Georgetown, TX 78626
512 868.1401

Hope this helps.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:34 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, we stayed at the Lone Star Resort on I-35, south side of Austin. It was a decent park. As for things to do, there are lots. If you don't mind perusing Vicki's postcards, go to www.geocities.com/stevereigle , then click on 2004 Postcards. The Austin postcards from 1/12/04 through 2/4/04.

We enjoyed the Austin area but there's another town about 80 miles from there that we have enjoyed so much we've been there three times. That town is Fredericksburg, TX. One of the highlights, of many, is the Admiral Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War. Absolutely awesome. Even Vicki really enjoyed it. And Luckenbach, TX, of Willie Nelson / Waylon Jennings fame. Also nearby is the LBJ Ranch, which you can tour and his childhood home, also tourable. The Fredericksburg postcards follow the Austin postcards and are from 2/9/04 through 2/18. There are some more postcards in other years from our later visits but these will cover most of what is to see.

Either way, Austin or Fredericksburg, that's a great area to visit in our opinion. If you get a chance to get to Marble Falls (between Fredericksburg and Austin, the Blue Bonnet Cafe is very highly recommended. It's on US 281, east side, just north of the river bridge. I know you like the Corner Cafe. You'll like the Blue Bonnet. We have friends in the Marble Falls area who introduced us to that cafe.

We've not seen the park Robbie recommends but have toured the park (and the falls) at McKinney Falls State Park that Padre recommends and it is as he says. A very nice state park. I don't recall whether they have sewer hookups, though.

If you decide to take US highways and are going to Fredericksburbg, US 281 in Texas is good road. There are the usual complement of small towns but they're not too frequent and are interesting, at least to us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great information folks, I will print this thread when complete, and take it with us. Steve, I will look at the postcards of your charming wife. Hey, did you hear that Bush and his entire group had a meal at Corner Café? It was quite a thrill for little Riverside. He was kind to everyone there, spoke Spanish to the cooks and had pictures taken with the staff.
Robbie, you may be the best one to ask about bike trails, any around that you know of and recommend in the Austin area?
We traveled the paths in Albuquerque, 18 miles of great trails right on the Rio Grande, fun stuff...
Old 09-16-2007, 07:27 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ozz, we will drive a couple hours to avoid Austin. With that said, my oldest son lived in Austin in the early 90's, and we found the area around Barton Creek to be beautiful. I don't ride a bicycle any more, so I don't know about trails, but you might check this out; http://www.texasoutside.com/bartongreenbelt.htm.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:44 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,

We picked that park because of the nearby San Gabriel River Park (about 3 miles away) with several miles of easy bicycle trails that wind up the San Gabriel River to the reservoir.

I looked for some decent updated information, but could not find it on the web, but the trail is complete to the reservoir, and real beautiful for Texas.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We also stayed at the Lonestar just this past April. We enjoyed a few days in Austin but like Steve and Vicki, we could hardly wait to get back to Fredericksburg. You can find pictures and the story on our blog also. Just look back to April 2007.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 10:02 AM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
If you want to get off the beaten path take HWY 281. Hico claims to be the final home of Billy the Kid. I have not had the chance to stay there, it is on the list. We had a job in Goldwaite and I passed through there many times. Neat place. Looks like an old west town. And that highway will take you to Austin as well as Frederickburg.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:43 AM   #12
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Town Lake hike and bike trails, Zilker Park, L B J Library, Bob Bullock Museum, The Tower at U T, The Drag, Barton Springs, Lady Bird Johnson wild flower farm, Hoover Cooking on Manor Rd(corner cafe stuff), Mexican-La Palapa on 290 East, Huts on 6th st.-hamburgers, Salt Lick in Driftwood-barbeque. Have fun
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Ozz,

It was nice talking to you the other day on the phone. Austin is a wonderful place to visit and can keep you busy for more than a week. I went to the Lone Star RV park website and it is about 20 minutes from our house. People have mentioned lots of place to go and see while you are here, all of them good ideas. Depending on how far you like to bike there are lots of places to do so. Remember Lance Armstrong lives in Austin and has tons of fellow bikers on the strees as well as the roads. There is a Velloway near the Wild flower center with a great subdivision that you can ride through. There are hike and bike trails all near Town Lake. We haven't been to the LBJ ranch and would love to see it while you are here. Wimberley is a great town to visit too. Six Street is called the live music capital of the world. Barton Springs Pool and Zilker Park are great places to ride bikes and there is a botanical garden right next to it. This is all close to the downtown area of Austin.

Colleen

I think that the Lone Star RV park used to be a KOA campground. Not sure, but it is easy to find our house from there. Let us know what route you are coming in on, as Austin now has some toll roads that would make it easier getting to the campground. We can also give you some tips on back roads that would be RV friendly.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Colleen, it was fun talking with you. Sue and I are excited about our visit there. We are leaning toward the Lone Star, a little pricey, but within $10.00 a night of most others. I'll contact you after we schedule what we think will be our route, then finalize after we speak. Can't wait to start our journey.
Ozz
Old 09-29-2007, 05:28 AM   #15
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Lone Star was in fact a K O A park many years ago. Nice place dont know how noisy it may be because its right on IH 35. Most parks in close to Austin will probably suffer the same delima. Would probably need to travel 20 or so miles out to gain quite.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote