Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
OK, you got my curiosity. GCI engines have been around for many years in cars and trucks. And, googling, I could not find that there has been any problem with them other than different manufacturing requirements. What are you referring to?
Bill thanks for asking. I’ve been in the Machine shop business for almost 40 years so I’m always curious about anything Machine shop and a friend has sold machine tools and tooling to rebuild auto engines for 40 years. CGI has been around since the 40s but hasn’t been used to make production engines but for a a few years. The trouble with using it for a large number of engines was we didn’t have cutting tools that would hold up. The cutter would be wore out in a single cylinder and need to be changed. With new cutting tools that is no longer the problem it was. CGI was used for limited production engines for a long time because it is much harder than cast iron. Wore much longer dampened vibrations much better and as an added benefit can be cast thinner to reduce weight. A CGI block can be almost as light as an aluminum block and stronger than a cast iron block.
Ford uses it for their 2.7 Ecoboost and their 6.7 Diesel. Cummings uses it for their 3 L Diesel used in the Ram 1/2 ton. Either Peterbuilt or Kenworth uses it in their latest engine. Audi used it in their prototype racing Diesel engine and won almost every race it ran in.
So why don’t everybody name their blocks CGI. The machinery can’t be switched from cast iron to CGI. The boring heads can’t be retro fit to old machines because the boring head spins and the cutting tools are round and they spin on the boring head. This is what I’ve been told. This is all a little out of my league, let’s say millions of dollars out of my league. One of the boring heads are worth more than any machine in my shop.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote