Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #1
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Experience with the Reese Sidewinder

Hello all, been awhile, but I'm back LOL anyway, I did a quick look and didn't find any other threads on this so started a new one. The reese sidewinder, anyone have it or have experience with it? I love my Pull Rite Super Glide, but man , I'm getting sick of using a shop crane to get it in and out of my truck Was thinking about going with the Reese sidewinder and a standard, much lighter fifth wheel hitch.
Thanks in advance.

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #3
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Comments from a Sidewinder Owner

I removed and sold my Pullrite Superglide and replaced it with a 5th Airborne Sidewinder pinbox along with a Demco Recon hitch.

The Pullrite worked like it was supposed to and I had no problems with the hitch. I was however unable to put my generator in the truck bed because the pinbox is located about two inches inside the bed and when I turned tight the pinbox would hit the generator. Also the back end of the pinbox would hit and damage the rails of the bed when turning tight.

The pullrite also was a filthy WD-40 mess. There was a fair amount of back and forth movement between the slider plate and the rails it ran on.

The Sidewinder is perfect. Tows great without any problems. The Demco hitch is light weight at only 100# and it quickly comes apart into three pieces when removing from the truck bed. It also gives me a lot of room in the bed now as it takes up much less space than the pullrite.

Since the pullrite required me to hitch straight on I had no problem with doing the same with the Sidewinder. I can also jackknife the trailer into a spot and disconnect/connect at that same angle, something I could not do with the pullrite.

The Demco hitch is adjustable in height which I needed as I run it in the lowest position to allow my rig to be level. The Demco is much more robust than most hitches in the wrap around jaw for the kingpin and also the lock bar on the jaw. It is rated at 21K so I'm no where near its limit with my rig weight wise.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
diesel,, thanks for searching and finding those for me
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
So I just read all the thread that diesel posted, they are pretty old. any current experiences? and prn thanks for sharing yours
Old 03-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I researched all the forums I could find for information on the sidewinder before I made the move. I did not find any posts that were negative or problematic. One person said his kingpin came out of his hitch but further reading showed he had high hitched his trailer. His latch was still closed and locked after the disconnection.
I could not find any evidence of the sidewinder causing frame problems either.
Lots of expert opinions from armchair engineers.
I bought two bolts as described in the sidewinder information that I can easily install to secure the arm should I need an emergency tow. Those and removing the lock piece render the sidewinder a normal pin box. This is actually easier than removing the pullrite catchplate from my old morryde pin box which also must be done so another truck can tow the trailer.
You be the judge, I think my setup is great.
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Looks like I have to use the standard Sidewinder, the Airborne has a max capacity of 16000, the GVWR of my unit is 16,800....