Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Recomendations Please

Hi to all,
We are planning a trip from Q-site AZ. in Feb 2010, after the MOC Mini Rally, our plans are to go from there to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico, this is our first travel to that part of the world, there will be three RVs in our group and will hit two overnight campgrounds inroute to New Mexaco and the third day arrive in Carlsbad for a week of camping. we would love any input, and sugestions on good clean campgrounds that like pets and people. also has anybody info on the KOA RV Park in Carlsbad Good or Bad. before I start to make reservations.

We might go to Texas after that.

Thanks. Don

On edit I got my information wrong I also had a brain fart, which caused this error in what state is and has.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don, I think you might just want to go to New Mexico to see the Caverns, Texas is a little too far and no caverns.....grins
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks Phil I have corrected my error.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:41 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Don here is a site that might help. I usually throw out the top and bottom ratings and look at the ones in the middle. I find it gives you a good idea what the park is like most of the time.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
We started to do this trip a couple of years ago. Unfortunately we got sick while in Las Cruces and ended up turning around and going home. We did manage a day trip to White Sands. Well worth the trip.

Where are you planning to stop for overnighting? From Q we went to Benson and spent a few days there then on toward the Caverns. We had a really nice CG in Las Cruces but I don't remember the name right now. If you're not in a hurry there are some nice State Parks near Deming. If you're an SKP there is a park right in Deming just off the freeway.

South of Deming about 30 miles is the State Park called Pancho Villa. Nice park. Water and electric and a dump station. Very nice park. It is about a mile or two to the little town of Las Palomas, Mexico. Very small town but has a very nice restaurant ---- The Pink House. You can get some meds there if you are in need of any. It is only a couple of blocks in any direction so very easy to walk. Also nice and free parking lot just this side of border.

Sort of South East of Deming maybe 10 to 15 miles is another SP called Rock Hound. Very nice park sort of on the side of a hill. Very large sites again with water and electric and dump station. So if you are into rocks this is the place. You are allowed a certain amount of rocks that you can take home!

North of Deming about 30 miles is a SP called City of Rocks. An awesome park among some unique rock formations.

Should be a great trip. Plan for very cool to cold weather.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Hi Dennis, we hope all is well with you and the family.
thanks for the information
We will be making 2 overnight stops per day, we figure about 300 miles per day that should put us there early on our third day of travel.
Pay parks are mainly what we want, with all the goodies.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We thought the KOA Camp was a very nice one. I don't think you will find a better one in the area. The sights were roomy.. The wind was awful. Enjoy the caves. They are awesome.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
thanks Helen I will look that KOA campground up.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree with HamRad that White Sands National Monument is a good place to visit. Take some of the easy trails on the dunes.

Also, south of White Sands National Monument, on US 70, is the White Sands Missile Range museum. This is a very interesting place. The url is http://www.wsmr-history.org/Museum.htm . We stumbled upon this when we saw a sign out on the highway. You have to park (room for rv's) near the gate and walk a short distance to the museum, passing through the gate of this active Army installation. Cars can drive through the gate but not rv's. Here's an excerpt from the website giving directions.

U.S. Highway 70, from the East:

From the intersection of US-70, US-54, US-82 on White Sands Blvd in Alamogordo, New Mexico, go Southwest on US-70, US-82 approximately 44 miles. Watch for the brown "Museum - Missile Park" sign and exit to the right. Proceed around and through the underpass. Go approximately 4 miles to the Main Gate at White Sands Missile Range. See procedures below.

U.S. Highway 70, from the West:

From the intersection of US-70, US-82, and I-25 on North Main Street in Las Cruces, New Mexico, go East on US-70, US-82 approximately 19 miles. Watch for the brown "Museum - Missile Park" sign and exit to the right. Proceed approximately 4 miles to the Main Gate at White Sands Missile Range. See procedures below.
Entrance Procedures for White Sands Missile Range:

You will need to show your drivers license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. As you approach the Missile Range Main Gate, you must stop at the visitors center on the right just before the gate. Park in the parking lot and proceed inside the visitors center where you will need to show your license, registration, and proof of insurance. You will be given a red placard to display in your vehicle. Return to your automobile and proceed to the visitor entrance gate, where security personnel will perform checks and allow you to pass through the gate. You may then proceed approximately 75 yards and turn left into the museum/missile park parking lot.
You may be offered the option of leaving your automobile parked in the parking lot and walking to and from the museum. That will be your choice, and is not necessary.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One more thing, or two. If you are at Alamogordo, the drive up the mountains to Cloudcroft is beautiful. Cloudcroft is an interesting place, too.

Also, when at Alamogordo, you're about 80 or so miles from Lincoln, in Lincoln County, Billy the Kid country. If you are interested in the Old West, Lincoln is worth a visit.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Don't y'all listen to Phil now, y'ear! He's not a Texan

We have the The Magnificant Seven Caverns/caves. Although, some may be further than y'all would like to drive.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:35 PM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Don,
We stayed at the KOA in Carlsbad. Nice enough park but it is located about 15 miles north of the city of Carlsbad. Quite a drive to the caverns. Besides the caverns there is not a heck of a lot to do in Carlsbad. Inclimate weather in the mountains kept us from visiting Cloudcroft. Also forced us to take the long route from Carlsbad through ElPaso to Las Cruces. We felt there was more to do and see in Las Cruces then Carlsbad. "Hacienda Resort LasCruces" is a really nice park. Little pricey but nice.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:01 AM   #13
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We also stayed at the KOA in Carlsbad and it is one of the nicest campgrounds we have ever stayed at; however it is 40 miles one way to the Caverns as they are way south of town and the KOA is way north of town.

If you are going to be in the area for a week, north of Carlsbad is Roswell, home of the UFO museum. It is an interesting campy sort of a place.

Also about midway between Carlsbad and Roswell is the town of Artiesia. They have several large bronze statues throughout the town that depict scenes from the history of the area.
As you get closer you might want to check the Carlsbad Caverns web site for reservations. Some of tours were sold out when we were there.

Another suggestion would be to check out Kartchner Caverns near Benson. They are a completely different cavern experience than Carlsbad and it is interesting to compare the differences. Again check the web site for tour reservations.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #14
TekeAngel

M.O.C. #9512
You also might want to check out Kartchner Cavern, a "live" cave, near Benson Arizona on your way to New Mexico.
They have a campground however per their web site "All sites are developed as electric hook up sites. NO sites have been developed or designated for basic “dry camping”. Non-electrical and tent campers are welcome use these sites but the full fee will be required. A paid camping permit entitles the holder to use of the shower/restroom, water, electrical and dump station facilities. All sites have a table, hose bib and power post. Each site has a 20 amp and a 110 electrical outlet, some pull through sites have 50 amp service. Sites vary in length from 35’ in the shortest, ”back in” sites to 60’ in the pull through sites, all sites are single width. Sites have ample room on the side areas for pull out units. "
TekeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:51 AM   #15
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wow this is great, all this information, I have a lot of research to do and planning. keep it comming.
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, Almost a Texan, spent 14 years there, met and married Cathy there and second son born there, I even used to drink Lone Star with the best of em. Got my first pair of Noconas there also. Liked it so well we will be wintering at Medina Lake this winter.

You will love Carsbad Caverns, especially if you visit at dusk and watch all the bats leave the cave.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
OK Phil I'll deffinatly have to watch that, that would be so neat to see.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #18
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Don sorry about the website not being there here it is.
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Hope this is a help.
Don
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

Don sorry about the website not being there here it is.
http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
Hope this is a help.
Don
Thanks Don I can sure use that site, great information.

Don
Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 AM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Don,

I agree, the KOA is a nice park, but it is a long ways from anywhere; and if you are going to the caverns from there, it is really a long day. You will need several hours to visit the cavern.

We stayed at the Carlsbad RV Park and Campground. This place is nothing special, but the staff was very friendly, and the cost fit our budget.

Don't even think of staying at the RV Park at the entrance, White City, it is a real dump.....doesn't seem very safe either.

The Carlsbad Caverns are wonderful; you might want to check to see when the bats are there, think they only open that area during certain times.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote