Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Montana_2008
Established Member

M.O.C. #2008
Sofa and Chairs

I want to replace the cheap stuff they put in my Monty. Is it hard to get the sofa and chairs out the door and get new ones in? We are full timers and these we have lasted one year. will appericate you answer. Does any one know the best make of furniture to put in my Monty. Jerry Peggy and Cody Kiger, 3400RL with electric awning, wing Deck 250 Ford, stainless ezhaust, airaid, and air ride springs. Deisel 6.0

Montana_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #2
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
We replaced our sofa with a leather loveseat made by Legacy. It would have been quite expensive, but our son is CEO of a high end leather furniture store. We had no problem removing the hide-a-bed from the Montana thanks to three strong sons. The door is big enough to wriggle it through. Not only is the leather loveseat more comfortable; it also gives us additional room. We are still using the recliner that came with the Monty.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am looking into replacing both recliners with either Flexsteel theater style leather chairs with center storage console or OptimaLeather Euro-recliners with ottoman's. The local rv show is coming up the end of Jan, I hope to get some price quotes on both styles.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 04:42 AM   #4
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
A lot of MOC members have changed their furniture, and as I understand it can be a little difficult getting the old out and the new in, but it does seem to be possible. Measure first.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
We replaced the crappy recliners with leather Lazyboy recliners (have two dogs). The backs are removeable from the Lazyboys, so easy to move. We got a leather love seat which is very comfortable---the dogs approve! It was a little harder to get in, but get some folks with a strong back and it is no problem.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have had our sofa out and back in. The back comes off the sofa hide a bed. Lift up on the back and it will slide up and off. A lot of new furniture make the kind the backs come off.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
It seems a little harsh to call the recliners (which we love and still have) crappy. IMHO. From the lady with the crappy recliners.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
We replaced the sofa with a Lazy Boy sleep sofa and put it across the back in front of the window and put a man size lazy boy recliner where the sofa was orginal.
We moved the kitchen table out about 8" so you have plenty of room.
Yes it is a little heavier then the boy is it comfortable!!!!!
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 01:27 PM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We like our sofa bed sofa that came with our Monty. The orginal recliner is not junk and will be used in TV room downstairs in stick house. The recliner we put in Monty is more comfortable than the orginal recliner. We will probably replace the recliner in Monty with a new one when we find the right one. But don't need to do right now. (We put an extra recliner we had in the stick house into the Monty. A Lazyboy.) Fits wonderful! And is lighter in weight.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:50 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We got fed up with RV furniture and replaced both the chair and the sofabed with a lazyboy recliner/rocker and a sofabed intended for a house. We bought both at Nebraska Furniture Mart, if you're familiar with that store. But any store selling home furniture will do.

You can see the size of both in the "Our Home" link on our website (the Our RV Travels link in my signature) if you want an idea of what will go through the door. On the sofabed they had to unscrew one of the wooden feet. Otherwise it came through the door just fine.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 06:14 AM   #11
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Sorry about calling the recliners crappy, but didn't want to use the other word that means the same thing.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:09 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The furniture in a camper is camper furniture meant for recreational use. It is NOT near the same quality of chairs and recliners you would buy or find in your home and they are usually "trailer size" (smaller). We had two recliners in our TT one we took out a kept in the bedroom, rarely used, it still looked good and it went back in the TT when we sold it.The other lasted @ 2 years when a fellow camper @ 250lbs of him sat in it and it collapsed in a heap.We will attempt to NOT order the recliners in our new camper as you can get much better "apartment sized" or trailer sized" furniture.(it will cost more of course) If the original camper furniture is of such high quality why do a lot of folks delegate them to the "stick house" and get "better, more comfortable ones for the camper.Huuummmmmm? mobilvan. crappy is a strong word. How about structurally inadequate, quality challenged, low bidder....stuff....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 11:36 AM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Guess I like quality challenged stuff. I really think there is perhaps two grades of furniture in the Montanas. I don't want prospective buyers to think they have to go out and buy new furniture for their new Montana. Try it first and upgrade if possible.
Happy trails...................
Old 12-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I also like quality challenged stuff, but want to say the main reason I am looking into getting rid of the recliners is they are large and heavy. Am looking for something that either fits in the location that does not have to be moved each time I close the slides or something that is lighter in weight for me to handle. Both of the recliners are comfy and will be going in the stick house to use downstairs by the tv and fireplace. The second reason I want to change the hide-a-bed and recliners is I like leather furniture, (personal choice) and would like to add them to the coach since I spend a great deal of time in it during the summers. Believe me I look at every brand of rv's I can get into and have seen some really poor quality furniture in them,(at all price levels and size of rv) I am happy overall with the furniture Keystone chose to use in the Montana.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:29 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Dave
If you do the switch of the chairs and sofa, you don't have to move them. Just put the sofa cushions between them and they don't move. But I agree with the leather. That was one of the BIG things I didn't get in our new truck - I've had leather in all four of my last cars and I love it. (The other BIG thing was the Bose sound system and it cannot be added after market). Other than these 2 things I love the truck.
Happy New Year and
Happy trails....................
Old 12-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue and Ed,
Thanks for the idea, thought about switching the two last spring but just forgot about actually doing it. If I do not end up with some new furniture at the rv show in Jan. will try to move the two and see what how that works. No leather in the new truck, how can you stand it? I have the LT package on this Silverado and love the leather and Bose, but even more I am really enjoying the seat warmers during this cold winter we are having up here. This is my 2nd rig with leather seats and I do not think I could go back. Enjoy the new LBZ Duramax. =)
Old 12-30-2005, 03:54 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well it appears that I have been misinformed and my eyes deceived me about the quality of the furniture and we will order the fine quality recliners that are provided in the new whatever model we will order.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:33 PM   #18
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we find the recliner chairs and sofa are really quite comfortable--the ones in our first rv were terrible--very soft and the chair was made for a midget. I wonder if the newer ones are better than what was in the units a few years ago?
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 08:00 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will be at the Toledo show in Feb and we will turn one of those chairs upside down and see what they are made of.Can anyone give me a brand name of their recliner..my guess is that there will be many.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:48 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
There are two grades (at least) of chairs. I just looked at our listing and we paid extra for upgrade on lounges. It was the way it came but it is listed. Also we have the sofa bed and our experience is these are more comfortable to sit on than the Jack Knife (not necessarily to sleep on). I have a $1,000 sofa bed in my living room in the stick house that has the same uncomfortable bed as the Monty has on the sofa bed. If we used it, we would upgrade that mattress but we haven't used the one in the Monty as yet. We put sleeping bags on the one in the stick house on that rare occasion we have guests that stay overnight and the Monty is not available.
Happy trails....................