Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
No shore power

I'm getting ready to leave for a trip tomorrow and when I plugged in I found that I have no shore power. I have power at the main plug on the outside of the camper. All breakers are ok. The last time I used it, I was hooked to a generator and everything worked fine.

Any ideas???????????

William Schelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
First I assume you have 50 amp plug on your trailer.
Check the two 50 circuit breakers to make sure they are not tripped. Actually turn them off and then back on.
If no luck then you have to do some voltage measurement with live wires. If you are not comfortable with this then "DO NOT DO IT" and let an electrician do it for the trailer and your safety. The reading I would take is on the input for the main circuit panel.
If no voltage then check the plug where you plug into the trailer.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:45 AM   #3
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
John, Yes I do have a 50 amp. I checked all the areas you suggested and just to add to this situation the battery works fine.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Generator through a transfer switch,or just plugged in to the generator?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:58 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
I believe Slickwillie is on to something here. Is the generator an internal unit or external?? If it is internal then you are equipped with a smartswitch that may have went kaput. If the generator is internal, I would check it to see if it still provides power to the rig.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 AM   #6
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
I have an external generator. I was wondering about that too. But when i unhooked it everything was fine.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Try the generator to see if it powers the rig, if it doesn't then the problem will be isolated to the rig. Is the same shore cord used on the generator??
Bingo
Old 10-15-2008, 03:20 AM   #8
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
yes the same shore cord is used but I have 50 to 30 amp reducer on it.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:48 AM   #9
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe I would check to see if the generator powers the rig. For the simple purpose of seeing if the previous method which you stated is still working. If it does not power the rig, then as H John states you will have to start taking measurements along the entrance power path, starting at the receptacle and then moving to the power center. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT to understand that if you are not comforatable, experienced and familiar with this, it should be done by professionals. Your safety is much more important than the power problem.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #10
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Bingo, Thanks for the info. I sort-of have an electrical background, so I am comfortable in checking stuff. What I was wondering was if there were any breakers or resets along the way that aren't obvious to the eye. I don't have any 120v and I guess the converter isn't in the picture because the 12v part is still working. The system isn't charging because of the lack 120v. One question that I do have is: would the generator damage the converter? I have used it before with now problem. Thanks for your feedbacks.........Bill
Old 10-15-2008, 04:18 AM   #11
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Bingo, I just noticed that you have the same generator that I do. Mine works fine.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:29 AM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
One thing about the generator. If you are using a surge-guard or EMS system with the generator (I am assuming a Kipor), I know on mine that I had to pigtail the neutral and the ground together because the EMS was sensing an open ground and would not allow power to the rig. Clarify your statement for me, you have fired up the generator now and have 120 in the rig?? Yet if you hook the same shore cable to an AC power source, you have no power?? Thinking out loud here, but the majority of power problems are usually ground related.
Bingo
Old 10-15-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
The following assumes that you ARE NOT CONNECTED TO SHORE POWER

Try this first - get your multimeter out (Radio Shack for less than $20) and set it Ohms. Then put one lead into the anaconda cord at one end and then to the other end's leads. Your first time check will be 50/50 since you have two 50 amp leads. Also, check the neutral; if you have no neutral, then you have no way for power to return to the grid, thus providing you with 120 volts of power. You are looking for no resistance.

If your 50 amp cord is okay, then using your multimeter again, WITHOUT SHORE POWER, jump the two incoming 50 amp leads at the rear of the 5er (where you plug the anaconda into). Now, go to the 120v power distribution panel and put the ohmeter leads on each of the 50 amp breakers at the top. If you have no resistance, then your supply to the panel is okay. If not, remove the the receptacle at the rear of the 5er and check for a loose/missing connection. Also, check the neutral from this receptacle to the power panel. You can do this by jumping ground and neutral and, by removing the power panel, use your ohmeter to check the resistance between the ground (green) and neutral (white).

Now, having said all of this, with more explanation if desired, I would bet that you have a bad neutral, either in the cord, the incoming receptacle or at the power panel. Why you ask? Simply, that if you have a good neutral, the probability that you have TWO bad hots are rather astronomical. Remember what I said - if you have no neutral to return the line voltage to the grid, you will have no power for your 5er.

Good luck!

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:33 PM   #14
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
To follow up...

A really good mentor of mine, when I was a young man, told me that when tackling any diagnostic problem, split the problem into two's. As an example, take the family car. If the gasoline powered car doesn't start and run, then it really is just one of two problems - either fuel or spark. If you can get a spark, then the problem is now focused on fuel delivery.

If we assume fuel delivery, then we need to see if fuel is being sprayed into the carburetor. If no fuel being sprayed into the carburetor, then there are two possible problems - either no fuel in tank or no fuel after the last fuel filter. If fuel in tank, then check the fuel filters - one in the tank and the other prior to the carburetor. If fuel is being delivered to this second filter, then you probably have a bad filter prior to the carburetor.

This idea of troubleshooting helps to take the overwhelming factor out of the equation. Just keep it simple...
Old 10-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks for chiming in Michael, I have been off-line for awhile. Sorry for my reference to ground, but we are thinking along the same lines (no pun intended). I am anxious to get a status update on the problem resolution if Bill sees fit to keep us informed.
Bingo
Old 10-16-2008, 02:30 AM   #16
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
Michael and Bingo
Your ideas are great. I worked on it last night and found something very interesting. I have power at the shore line breaker box. But, when I put the rv plug into the shore line plug and the other end is already plugged into the rv. the voltage goes from 120v on each leg to zero. and no breakers are popping. Also, I can't smell anything. We are leaving today for Gettysburg. I am going to take an extra battery from my boat and a charger. I will figure this out even if I have to run a new wire to the breaker box in the rv. Thanks again for the help. I will let you know what transpires.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Sounds more and more like the shore cable. I believe I would follow Michaels suggestion and first check the continuity on the nuetral and ground legs of the cable, then the rig receptacle itself (continuity from outside to inside). Another possibility is to borrow another shore line and see if provides power. Interesting but I still have a hunch that the solution is going to be really simple once you isolate the problem (check the neutral and ground connections and insure that they are tight at the receptacle and the breaker box input). Good luck and keep us informed, these kinds of problems and eventual solutions are good knowledge for all MOCers!!
Bingo
Old 10-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #18
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Bill,
If you're going to be in Gettysburg, Montana dealer (Beckley's) is south about 15-20 miles right off Rt. 15 near Thurmont, MD. They hosted a lunch for the MOC NE Rally in June. Great folks w/good service dept. and store. I'm sure they could check your power cord, or you could stop w/the rig for some high quality diagnostics. Good luck!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 05:51 AM   #19
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Perhaps I am lost here, but is that not the same cable the OP plugged into the generator? If so, I would suspect the circuit he is plugging into. As stated before, I would lean toward the neutral wire having a loose connection that opens under load. I suppose this is a mute point now, if they are on the road.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM   #20
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I agree with SlickWillie - sounds like the pedestal is at fault - probably a loose neutral.