Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #1
JohnG
Established Member

M.O.C. #21965
Getting DSL from the termination into the rig

Hello All,
At our home base park, DSL is available (twisted pair basically). The termination is an outdoor box just behind the 5th wheel. I have a 2014 Mountaineer 337RET. The technician will be out next week to hook it up, my question is, what is the best way to get the signal/wires INTO the rig? If anyone has done this before and can offer some input I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm really new to this and I didn't see any likely connections on the external cabinets...not that I've scoured super hard, but all I recall seeing are coax connections.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would just go thru an outside wall near where you want the connection. Drill a hole on the outside wall and install a weatherproof exterior phone jack. Then at the same location inside cut a small rectangular hole to install a phone wall plate jack.

phone jack
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have two home bases. Copper in NM and fiber in KS. I take both of them from the box into the basement thru the hole in the convenience center. I hook up the modem (copper) and the backup battery (fiber) to an extension cord that comes from the basement outlet and then hook them to my router which is powerful enought to get thru the floor and give us great signal anywhere in the rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #4
JohnG
Established Member

M.O.C. #21965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We have two home bases. Copper in NM and fiber in KS. I take both of them from the box into the basement thru the hole in the convenience center. I hook up the modem (copper) and the backup battery (fiber) to an extension cord that comes from the basement outlet and then hook them to my router which is powerful enought to get thru the floor and give us great signal anywhere in the rig.
Okay, don't roast me, I told ya I was really new at this!

What is the "convenience center"? The only hole I'm aware of is where the water supply comes through the bottom to attach to the city water input, the same cabinet where the tank valve and fill controls are etc. Is that the convenience center? If so, that sounds like a good idea, I believe I can route wires from that cabinet into the "basement" (I'm assuming the basement is my big storage area under the bedroom, where there are outlets and coax hookups and a TV mount?).

Told ya I was really new at this....
Old 06-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
LOL John you are correct on the hole that DQDick is talking about in the convenient center. Sounds like you have a good plan for the wiring. I'm going to check Dick's setup out in about three weeks a the MOC Central Plains Regional Rally and see if I can actually so the same with mine while on the road. Good luck and enjoy the DSL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
JohnG
Established Member

M.O.C. #21965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Good luck and enjoy the DSL
Thanks Rondo! Not sure how much I will "enjoy" the DSL though, it's 25mbps max so when you've always been used to a broadband world, I imagine it's going to feel a little slow...but we'll see.

On a related note, I just went through two week's of headache trying to get HDTV antennas to work. I've spent a total of about $250 bucks on two different, very high-end antennas. I've come to the conclusion that where I'm at, the signal is just not strong nor reliable. And yes, I tried running a dedicated line to bypass all of the connection craziness that is probably going on behind the walls of my rig, to no avail. So I'm giving up and going with 100% streamed TV. After a lot of research and trial, I'm settling on Hulu. $39.99/month and I get local broadcast channels as well as live cable channels. Sure it's the same as DirecTV and Xfinity streaming, but with a twist...those other two service either restrict "airplaying" to a TV on IOS devices, and/or restrict attaching to a TV via an HDMI adapter (somehow it knows you're doing it in both cases), and/or they require you to be on your home WiFi to use a streaming device like a Roku or AppleTV etc. I've tried it all. Hulu is the only one I've tested that doesn't seem to care. Now I can stream ALL of my paid TV at my house (we have an immobile home too ), on my boat, and in my 5ver, whether hardwired from my phone/Ipad to my TV or airplay mirrored to my TV. Thus the dire need for internet, when I use my hotspot to do it I'm burning about 1.5Gb/hour and that's just waaay too expensive on a mobile data plan.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Well John you are lucky they got to you first. I call mine the inconvenience center. Aptly named since the galley tank pull is accessible by crawling under a slide to pull.

You can tell how much thought went into the design by things like how to handle the business end of camping and that cabinet door.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
[QUOTE=jeffba;1103368]Well John you are lucky they got to you first. I call mine the inconvenience center. Aptly named since the galley tank pull is accessible by crawling under a slide to pull.

Take a sprinkler system turn on tool, bend the two prongs 90 degrees and you have a tool to reach under there and pull the handle.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:58 PM   #9
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
[QUOTE=DQDick;1103382]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
Well John you are lucky they got to you first. I call mine the inconvenience center. Aptly named since the galley tank pull is accessible by crawling under a slide to pull.

Take a sprinkler system turn on tool, bend the two prongs 90 degrees and you have a tool to reach under there and pull the handle.
I'll have to give that a try. Still very upset I missed that. noobie mistake
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:04 PM   #10
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Regular HDTV antennas meant for rv's are only good for approximately 30 miles on average. And if you are sitting in a valley of any sorts, you can kiss that distance goodbye. Maybe someday a new design will be released, but I am not holding my breath.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Mark7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19032
I get digital TV one my regular OEM Wineguard antenna on my '04. About 25 channels, but I am only about 30-40 (flat) miles away from most of the transmitter sites. I don't think "digital" TV antenna's make any difference at all. They will be happy to take your money for them tho...
Mark7 is offline   Reply With Quote