Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #1
youngr3
Established Member

M.O.C. #17677
Hwy 89 from I40 to Page, AZ

Planning a trip to the North Rim of Grand Canyon. Is Hwy 89 a good road for an large RV. I have a 35 ft Fifth Wheel with a 12 ft trailer behind it. 66 ft total. It looks like it is a scenic route according to the map. Also any info on Page Lake Powell campground would be helpful.

Thanks !

youngr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
We traveled 89 from Flagstaff to Lake Powell a year ago and it was no problem. We also dry camped at Lone Rock Beach National Park. We did camp in the upper lot to keep out of the sand down by the beach. We spent 6 days touring the area.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:48 PM   #3
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
There are a couple of 5-10 mile stretches where the road is very ?? swaily ??. I have to slow down about 10 mph and it is still bad.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:14 AM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
When we went in 2014 highway 89 was closed due to a landslide so we took another route. Are you planning to see Antelope Canyon while you are there?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 07:00 AM   #5
youngr3
Established Member

M.O.C. #17677
We have not looked at any other site seeing spots yet. We are trying to figure out if we can stay in Page. I know there are a lot of things to see up that way. I think Page would be a good base camp & then take day trips from there. If we can't get to Page with our combination we will probably stay in Williams.

Thanks

2017 Ram Tradesman 3500 4x2 Dually Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins HO, Aisin 6 speed trans. 3.73 gears
2013 Montana High Country 318RE
Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #6
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Antelope Canyon: if you don't go there when you are in Page, then you will be sorry. This is a bucket list kind of place. Look it up. Here's just one picture of the many I took. By the way, when we went to Page, we were actually staying an hour north of the north rim of the Grand Canyon. We took a day trip to Page for the express purpose of seeing Antelope Canyon. Since Highway 89 was closed at the time, we had to go the long way around through Utah to get there. We also saw Horseshoe Bend while we were in the area. A bit of a hike though. Antelope Canyon is very easy to get to. There are two: Upper and Lower. The Lower one is right near the parking lot and the Upper one is further away so they take you in jeeps. We did the Lower one, but if we go to Page again, we will see the other one. One thing: don't go if rain is in the offing. You cannot go in if it rains.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-29 (97).jpg
Views:	40
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	494  

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We made the exact same trip two years ago. Hwy-89 had just re-opened after a slide. The road was fine for our 40' Montana and the friends 45' motorhome w/tow'd. You won't have any problems towing on Hwy-89.

We stayed at Lake Wahweap RV & Campground. It was very nice http://www.lakepowell.com/rv-camping...rv-campground/

Wahweap is close to Page and Slot Canyon. Also take the dam tour. You will cross the dam several times going to/from Page/Wahweap.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
We made the exact same trip two years ago. Hwy-89 had just re-opened after a slide. The road was fine for our 40' Montana and the friends 45' motorhome w/tow'd. You won't have any problems towing on Hwy-89.

We stayed at Lake Wahweap RV & Campground. It was very nice http://www.lakepowell.com/rv-camping...rv-campground/

Wahweap is close to Page and Slot Canyon. Also take the dam tour. You will cross the dam several times going to/from Page/Wahweap.
I think what Carl and Susan mean by Slot Canyon is Antelope Canyon. It is considered to be a slot canyon.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 08-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #9
youngr3
Established Member

M.O.C. #17677
Great info from all. I was looking at the website for Lake Wahweap RV & Campground this morning. It has much larger sites than the other park in Page. I did see a picture of the dam as I did a goggle earth on the RV park. That is an Amazing Picture of Antelope Canyon Lone Oak we will put it on our list.
While I was surfing this morning, I also found Monument Valley which looks Great also. We will probably spend a week in the Page & Grand Canyon area if we can. We need to be in Yuma by Oct 1.

Thanks !

2017 Ram Tradesman 3500 4x2 Dually Crew Cab
6.7 Cummins HO, Aisin 6 speed trans. 3.73 gears
2013 Montana High Country 318RE
Old 08-21-2017, 05:51 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
My bad Loneoak, The proper name is Antelope Canyon which is a slot canyon.

As long as you are in the Page area, consider taking the “Canyon Adventures” boat ride. It will cruise through two famous Lake Powell Canyons - Antelope and Navajo Canyons.

Monument Valley is only 138 miles away and offers unbelievable scenery. As many of the monuments are on Indian land, you will want to take one of their guided tours. Also in the area are:

• Goosenecks State Park – This is a geological wonder and worth seeing. The San Juan River winds around fabulous rock formations 1000 ft below at least four times in front of you. It is located about 30 miles from Monument Valley. Take US 163 North for about 24.5 miles, left onto UT-261 and then next left onto UT 316 for 3.5 miles.
  • Moki Dungway – was constructed in 1958 by Texas Zinc, a mining company, to transport uranium ore from the "Happy Jack" mine in Fry Canyon, UT. to the processing mill in Mexican Hat. It is three miles of unpaved, but well graded, switchbacks that descend 1100 feet from the top of Cedar Mesa. There is a steep 10% grade and the road is somewhat narrow and winding. The bottom of the road is located on UT Hwy 261 and is the route to Goosenecks S.P.
  • Valley of the Gods - Valley of the Gods offers views of isolated buttes and towering red rock pinnacles. It is an unpaved road for 17 miles. The Valley of the Gods Road runs between Highways 163 and 261. The dirt is firm and packed but there are some bumps along the way. You will have to drive slowly but the rock formations are interesting. The most prominent peaks in the Valley of the Gods have received fanciful names including Rudolph and Santa Claus, Setting Hen Butte, Rooster Butte, De Gaulle and His Troops, Steamship Rock and Lady in the Bathtub. I
  • Natural Bridges National Monument - There are 3 majestic natural bridges at this park. You can view all of them from the overlooks on the paved scenic drive through the park. The bridges are named "Kachina," "Owachomo" and "Sipapu" in honor of the Native Americans that once made this area their home. There is hiking trails to all the bridges for a closer view. Go north on UT-163 for 24.5 miles, left onto UT 261 for 32.7 miles, left onto UT 95 for 1.8 mi and right UT-275.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:32 AM   #11
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
Great info, but be sure and stay at stay at Gouldings in Monument Valley. You'll need more than a week to see everything in the area. Also make sure to hike to Horseshoe Bend in Page. It's where the photo on my blog header was taken.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #12
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Make your reservations for the slot canyons early. They are very busy and fill up fast. I had booked a Photographers Tour which limits the number of people on the tour so you have time to use a tripod and not get other tourists in your shots. Got there and they had cancelled the Photographers tour because of having too many people. Went on justthe regular tour and it was fine but very crowded.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote