Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
05 Big Sky 3670 has a new owner

Thanks to all the encouragement and advice this Club offers. I joined several months ago and finally found the RV of my dreams, a gently used, albeit stored outside Montana Big Sky 3670. Bought it from a private owner who formerly used it briefly while travel working. Interior is in mint condition, albeit the Dometic 2862 Fridge recently failed leaving tell tale yellow powder behind it... Repair or replace with Residential?

Picked it up/brought it home to nearby storage lot today. Ah, parking in "passenger side" storage lot spot only took DW and I about 45 minutes. Not TOO frustrating, but close.

Also, I think I made a mistake disconnecting the Breakaway switch while storing and not disconnecting the batteries (when I find them!)
Fortunately it was winterized, but I hope to use locally over the Xmas Holidays so I guess I get to de-winterize and probably repeat...

As a classic from 2005, the front decals are peeling badly.

Wish I had had it in Oct for the Southeastern gathering in GA.

The MOC members and forum postings are great!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
RRman, congratulations on your new (to you) Big Sky. We have the Montana 3670 and love the floor plan. I have a 2004 model and the graphics were peeling so bad on the front cap I removed them. I then called Keystone and politely asked them for some new graphics and they did send them to me at no charge. I do have to pay someone to have them installed. I hope that you have the same luck as I did.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I guess I talked real nice to Darrell at the Service Centre as they replaced mine while it was there getting the frame flex fixed. Enjoy your 3670 as much as we enjoy ours and you will be a happy camper.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I had a 2003 Big Sky 3670 RL and we thought it was a great RV, so much so, that we traded for a 2008 340 RLQ. The major difference is the kitchen area. We liked the sliding door to separate the bath and the bedroom area which we don't have now.

You do need to disconnect your battery cable while in storage. Either one will do. Your battery is in the forward storage basement. It should be on the right hand side as you stand in front of the door. There are little electronic gremlins in there that will drain your battery if you don't.

I couldn't tell you about winterizing or dewinterizing because I stay far enough south so as not to need it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
There are lots of neat storage areas in the 3670. Check the area under the stove...great place for your pots and pans. Just add a door after removing the paneling. Same for under the stove. Also next to the electric panel. I have been fighting my frame flex for two years now, and hopefully have it figured out. They used too short a self tapping bolts in my frame. I used longer ones, and fixed most of the flex. Hope yours is not too bad. As for the fridge. Dometic might replace it due to the failure. Call their recall hotline, and give it a try. I just had the recall done. It only took about 45 minutes. Doesn't solve the problem, just contains the flame before your trailer burns to the ground. There is a sensor that shuts the unit down before the fire gets out of hand. You still got a junk fridg, but you still got the rest of the camper. Hopefully this helps you. Rog
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
meant to say under the fridge..not the stove twice.
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 12:43 PM   #7
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks for the advice!
My failed Dometic has a light dusting of ammonia residue concentrated closest to the fully enclosed heater. Its not affected by the Recall. As it was lightly used by the previous owner, maybe the non-use corrosion got to it. Given that it didn't last 3 years in service I will probably replace it with an Residential Apt Size Frost Free and slightly larger cubic capacity Whirlpool Fridge that hopefully will last at least as long and is less expensive than a new or rebuilt Dometic Cooling unit and perhaps will be easier to install than repairing the Dometic. For the time being, when not in use, the RV is in a Storage lot and destination campgrounds should always have electricity so I don't see how Propane power would benefit me, assuming on the road use was not desired and a "Freon" fridge should cool much quicker.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Also,
I found and removed the single 12 Volt Everstart (Walmart)battery. Lo and behold, the water level was so low the plates were exposed. So Distilled water and a Battery Tender Plus Charger were purchased. Battery did charge up reasonably with water a little above plates and then I topped off the water and recharged again. Took almost 1/2 gallon of distilled water!

Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have an 05 3679RL (not Big Sky though) and love the floor plan. Can't imagine why they discontinued it.

I would replace the fridge with a Dometic, if only to maintain the appearance. They run on both propane and 120v power.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but...

If you pulled the breakaway switch out, I'm afraid you may have a problem or two, the breakaway switch sends full power to the brakes when the cable is pulled, this may cause the electric brake magnets to burn-out over time, if you are lucky the battery may have gone down before that happened, but then you have a flat and possibly frozen battery. You need to investigate both before you try to tow again.

Other than that, it sounds like a great unit.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
2golfers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4579
We have a the Montana 2006 3670RL, the last year made, and have been living in it pretty much full time since about 6 months after we purchased, have not had any fridge or frame problems. We love the space as we travel w/one sml dog and one large dog. We are in the process of accessing the extra storage under the stove and fridge. Also a dealer told me that they rotate floor plans about every five years so we may see this plan again, sure hope so, enjoy your new rig and this site.
2golfers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 04:24 AM   #11
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Regarding the breakaway switch, I went back the next day and re-inserted it. Then pulled the battery for the previously mentioned reconditioning. I will be sure to check the Trailer brake operation before leaving the storage area!