Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2006, 02:34 AM   #41
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ishler

Actually you can parallel the Hondas without the special cable, just use 2 - 3prong (15/20amp) plugs wired in parallel to the 30 amp trailer connector. If you look at the internal wiring diagram I think the special connectors just bypass the circuit breakers. I have used and seen many setups like this over the last few years.
The reason for using the "Banana" Plug connectors is SAFETY, the Banana Plugs are shrouded, so if the cables are accidentally unplugged while in operation the ends (the Prongs will not be exposed). I have read that because each Honda EU2000i receptacle is Circuit Breaker protected (I beleive it is 20 AMPS), while trying to draw the full Amperage of both generators together it can cause one, or both to fault when using that method to link them together.

JP

jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 AM   #42
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
JP
I agree with the safety on the shrowded plug, but I like the idea of a circuit breaker in line if I attempt to draw too much from one of the generators. So I guess it's one tradeoff vs another.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 04:07 AM   #43
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
The High End Commercial Parallel kits have a circuit breaker, like this one from Mayberrys:

If you have a 50 AMP RV, and were willing to use the 50 AMP cord, you could put together a kit for about $ 100.00, that would be safe from exposing live prongs, by using 2 of these adapters on the generators:

[img][/img]

Because the 50 AMP setup seperates the two power legs it would not backfeed the other cord if one became unplugged accidentally. The drawback is using the 50 AMP cord because of its weight, and you would have to secure the cheater box to one of the generators.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:13 AM   #44
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Apparently I'm not thinking too clearly this morning, as after I posted, I realized a setup like this would not give either power leg enough amperage to run an A/C, or some other appliances.

I guess it was just wishful thinking

JP
Old 03-05-2006, 05:21 AM   #45
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I have the eu3000is and added the remote start from sun ind. It has a key fob like a car and I can start and stop from in the trailer. Runs everything and and is so quiet I have to turn something on to see if its running. Runs a long time on tank of gas and always starts. Sometimes I just leave it in the tv bed for short stops and if longer I set it under the rear of my trailer. I usually lock it in the bed. Not that I don,t trust anybody but why tempt them.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #46
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have just about decided to get the KGE 3500ti Kipor generator...(looks like the Honda 3000) When our dealer gets one in we will go up and run a camper similar to the 3400, or a 3400 if he has one, on the generator to see how it performs. We want to be able to run at least one of the A/C's if need be.If it meets our requirements we will buy the generator.

If it performs...We will purchase..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:29 AM   #47
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Let me know how it goes, Rich. I definitely want to run one A/C with nominal residual useage in the rest of the Montana.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #48
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
My inly concern about Kipor is even though it has similar specs is cheaper is not always better in this case. Have a Friend who bought one after awhile it takes him forever to get it cranked, on my Honda it takes one pull and it runs, but my Honda is not the same one. I don't have a unit for the camper since we don't boon dock and don't plan on it. My Honda is for a hunting camp before we had power there it's a 8500 watt 13HP unit, so it m y be different than the Kipor's. My friend has a Kipor I think it's a 35000 watt unit that he has not been able to find local servicing dealer for that knows what they are doing with them. It does seem to work and run fairly quite but his main issue is getting it to fire off. Rich I understand you were looking at an electric start unit which you may never experience the issues he has with recoil start unit. Keep us posted in what you find. I saw last weekend my local Montana dealer just started caring the Kipor units, so we will see maybe they are the next rising star.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #49
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Broome101..The Kipor is almost a direct copy of the Honda, 80% of the parts are interchangeable.
More and more dealers are beginning to carry the Kipor. My Montana Dealer is also starting to carry the Kipor..Wonder if something is going on there.The 3500 Kipor is a electric start. We are not yet 100% sold on the Kipor.When we can get it hooked up to a camper and do some rigorous testing we will be better able to make the buy decision. The Chinese do make good products, they are no doubt all around you. The PC you are using may have been made in China.My HP laptop was shipped direct from Singapore. The Chinese make good products with cheap labor. The Average factory wage in China is .50 per hour, 1.50 tops
Invacare the company that makes wheelchairs here in town just transfered operations to China..Their factory in China pays .50 per hour//here in N. Ridgeville, Ohio 13 to 15 $ per hour..same wheel chair.It is a sad state of affairs. My choice of generators are Honda, Kipor , yamaha..none of those folks are from around here. What is the name of a all American generator???? I am making myself angry...
Old 03-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #50
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Good point is generic made in USA? Not sure, like the idea above of the orange dual 15amp plug that turns it into 30amp RV service never saw that before until above post came through.I don't think the 3500 you are looking at will handle both AC running at same time, maybe after start up but the compressor surge will get you trying to run both of them I think. I saw your figures above unless you are running frig off propane when you run the generator I think it will pull about 10-11 amps as well on AC. Keep us posted what you find out when you try it at the dealer. You must have good dealer to let you try all this before buying it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are not thinking of running both A/C and we don't have the exact stats on A/C's.Your numbers are good.I estimate 11 amps running and 16 amps to get one started , They would both run if started but not enough to start the 2nd one while the 1st one is running,( I think). I will find out. The dealer is the same one that sold us the 3400 and since they are just starting to Handle the Kipor they also want to see what it will do. If it blows up....no sale....
Old 03-06-2006, 02:34 PM   #52
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Rich,

Assuming the 3500 Kipor is greater than or equal to the Honda EU300i. You should be able to run your 15K A/C, TV's and lights easily. My Honda EU300i runs everything except the microwave.

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #53
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We are not thinking of running both A/C and we don't have the exact stats on A/C's.Your numbers are good.I estimate 11 amps running and 16 amps to get one started , They would both run if started but not enough to start the 2nd one while the 1st one is running,( I think). I will find out. The dealer is the same one that sold us the 3400 and since they are just starting to Handle the Kipor they also want to see what it will do. If it blows up....no sale....
Just don't be standing too close...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #54
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I too am considering the Kipor 3500, but am having a real problem figuring out where to keep it. I don't like the idea having a gasoline engine spewing out carbon monoxide underneath the bedroom (either in a compartment or in the truck bed). I would like to run it at the rear of the coach, but 130 pounds is a lot for one (old) person to be lifting in and out of the truck bed. How are you guys dealing with it?
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 AM   #55
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have not decided were it will go.My first thought is to keep in in the truck, Long bed, plenty of room and move the truck to the rear of the Rv when using.Think you can keep it far enough away to keep fumes away. We ordered the metal slide tray in the front compartment which is another possibility.Another option is to mount it were the Onin generator would mount. We kept our previous generator in the bed of the truck and it was never a problem. I also kept a set of ramps in the truck and run the generator down the ramp when needed. The 3500 also had a wheel kit.132 lbs is a bit heavy but it is manageable. Helen and I never had a problem with our generator and it was a lot heaver than 132lbs. It is one of those projects where you will "make it work"
Old 03-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #56
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
I bought the Kipor 3500Ti last December and have used it three times since then. Works like a charm. I use the "Smart Throttle" to save on gasoline. No problem using the microwave, or a four slice toaster. I had the refrigerator, fireplace, TV, surround sound, and some lights on at the same time, with the furnace cycling on and off, and the generator barely increased speed above idle.

I purchased ours at an RV dealer in Ontario, Canada. I believe the warranty is two years.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 07:10 AM   #57
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Went over to the city streets garage today and they cranked up the Kipor 3500ti generator for me..no load of course. Now I have not heard a Honda run and the spec's indicate the Honda is quieter but this Kipor was super quiet you could hold a normal conversation standing right beside the unit.Just based on quiet I don't think I would pay the extra money for the Honda just for the noise level. There are of course, other things to consider.Still undecided...
Old 03-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #58
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Just recieved a 3500ti from an outfit in Oregon. $900 delivered. Sure is quiet and runs the 15k ac (it's warm in upstate this week :-) )
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:32 PM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Good price..My Montana Dealer will sell it to me for 930.00. We will be talking to a Kipor Factory rep this weekend Maybe I can talk him down a bit???? I know I will have him demonstrate how it works on a camper then when he is finished ask him what he will sell that "used" generator for??
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #60
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I see two local RV dealers here on Vancouver Island have become Kipor dealers so it looks like they are catching on and it will not be hard for me to get mine repaired if it breaks down.

I guess I made a good choice after all.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote