Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #1
Montana_4121

M.O.C. #4121
trailer sway

Larry and Mary
We just purchased a 2005 315RLS Mountaineer, two months ago. We have a problem with trailer sway on the expressways. We have a Reese duel cam sway control, but I'm going to have the dealer adjust it. The cam is about 1/2 inch off. We've had four other trailers since 1988, with lengths of 23ft. to 31 ft. with no problem. Has anyone else had this problem, and what was the solution.

Montana_4121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
titleman,

Welcome to the MOC!! Glad to see you here at last!!

Your friends, coming at cha from Austin Minnesota!! Iowa is next!

Carol

Sorry cannot help you with this one, but I am sure some of the fellas will be along soon with some great responses!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
As you can see we also have a 315RLS. Ours is a 2003 model. We have two friction sway bars on ours and don't have any problems with sway. Towed in all kinds of winds. Head, taikl cross winds upto 30-35 mph and no sway. Really tows nice. Sorry couldn't be of much help.
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #4
Montana_2957
Established Member

M.O.C. #2957
Titleman,
What is your tow vehicle? I pull 2003 315RLS trailer, drive at freeway speeds and have no crosswind or other sway at all. It is very well behaved on the road - have about 10,500 highway miles.

When I first purchased, I pulled for 200 miles in crosswinds using Reese hitch while waiting for Hensley to arrive and experienced continued white knuckled sway - had to slow to 45 mph. In fairness to Reese, it had no sway control.

My solution was a Hensley. There should be some replys from Reese owners.
Montana_2957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
titleman, As a 5th wheel puller I can't be much help with your question, I just wanted to stop in and welcome you to the MOC family
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:32 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let me add my welcome. I am sure someone will be by soon who knows about the sway issue. Happy RVing....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 03:54 AM   #7
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
titleman,
we also used to have a TT before our current Montana, and had issues with sway. Like, dgullick, we went to the Hensley hitch and it really does all that the ads say. Virtually no sway at any speed. I'm not familiar with the Reese double-cam, but often, not having equipment adjusted just right can make a big difference in performance, so have it checked out by someone who really knows. And welcome to the forum!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:20 AM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
I have found that most people don't tightin up on the friction pads enough to stop the sway. But I have not towed a T/T since 1991 so the gear has most likly changed
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:52 AM   #9
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
We tow a 327RKS and all I have are the load balancing torque bars and the hitch when towing. We have not had any sway problems and we have been in some really bad crosswinds and head winds over the past year. We towed with a CK3500 and now with a Dodge 2500 Quad LB.

On our old TT we had the friction anti-sway setup and it worked well but, on this one I didn't install the friction setup and honestly have not missed it. The old TT most definitely needed the anti-sway setup or it was all over the road. Even though they were both pretty close to the same length the old TT weighed a whole lot less than the 327RKS.

We have seen many TT’s on the road (especially I-95 and I-75) that are just all over the place and just never could understand: 1. Why it was happening to the owner/driver and 2. Why they continued to go down the road with such a sway problem and not do anything about it. One thing I have found out from the hitch dealer is that there are different weight limitations of the torque bars. The hitch dealer recommended I go with the largest I could get and yes it required a different hitch but I have had any problems with sway.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida

Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
titleman,
I had a 2002 315RLS before I traded in for the 04 3400RL fifth wheel. I had the same problem as you described and did a couple of things that seemed to solve it. I had the friction anit-sway bar installed and you do really have to crank it down snug. Second I found I was actually lighter on the tongue than I had thought. By moving some more weight upfront I was more in the normal tongue weight range. Third thing I found that the tires were not fully inflated from Keystone and were low by at least 12lbs. Afer maxing the air pressure out and the pervious other two things were done my sway stopped. I am not sure if these things will help but thought I would mention them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:45 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I agree if the hitch is not set correctly it could cause sway problems. Other things that come to mind are tire pressure and the location of your fresh water holding tank.....I've had friends have this problem when the fresh water tank was in the rear of the trailer and they were towing with water in the tank.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 PM   #12
DavesDmax
Established Member

M.O.C. #3865
titleman,

Though I don't have a mountaineer, I do have the HP dual cam set-up. I've had it on my TT from day one. I learned to adjust the cams myself as each time you change the number of links dangling, you have to readjust the cams to ensure they are properly resting in the load bar saddles. It is really important to ensure that the TV and trailer are on flat ground and straight. Otherwise, your cams will not be set correctly and will cause some sway as the load bars try to find their saddles.

I think you will find a much improved control after the adjustment.

My TT does not sway at all.

Hope that helps.
DavesDmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #13
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:
We just purchased a 2005 315RLS Mountaineer, two months ago. We have a problem with trailer sway on the expressways. We have a Reese duel cam sway control, but I'm going to have the dealer adjust it.
We have a 2004 315RLS with Reese Dual-Cams. We have no problem with sway and very little effect from strong cross winds. As was mentioned above we just adjust the cams via the link chosen in the cam chain locking. If you or your dealer find why your system isn't working as expected please post back. Regarding a friction bar, I don't expect that would help much if the cam system itself isn't working. I've not seen both used together before.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 02:04 AM   #14
Montana_4121

M.O.C. #4121
From Titleman( Larry and Mary)
Thanks everyone for welcoming us to MOC. We pull our trailer with a 2004 DodgeRam Quad cab SB, 1500. The tires are inflated to 65lbs. I put a much weight under the bed to add tongue weight, since we carry our fresh water on board. There is more trailer sway with the water tank full, than traveling with it empty, since there's 500lbs. more weight in back. We just left the trailer at the RV dealer to have some warrenty work and to readjust the duel cam sway control. Hopefully that will help. Thanks again.
Montana_4121 is offline   Reply With Quote