Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2023, 02:18 PM   #1
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Water pressure regulator

Does a water pressure regulator always restrict the pressure of the water coming into the trailer, or does it only restrict it when the water pressure at the campground is too high?

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 02:22 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I think the answer is basically "yes". Standard restrictors are preset to about 45psi. The setting doesn't change but it doesn't really restrict until the incoming psi exceeds the setting. Same for the adjustable type (recommended). Ours is set to about 50psi, but if incoming psi is only 35 then we get 35psi.

It's always wise to use a restrictor for "just in case". Many parks have pressure well north of 50psi.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 02:44 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You do not want to use the cheap “restrictors”, but should use a proper regulator. A regulator will not obstruct the flow of water but the cheap so called regulators that only restrict flow will reduce flow. We use a heavy duty Watts regulator, but an adjustable regulator should do the job. This is one that should work fine. https://a.co/d/aggo0ts
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 04:18 PM   #4
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
You do not want to use the cheap “restrictors”, but should use a proper regulator. A regulator will not obstruct the flow of water but the cheap so called regulators that only restrict flow will reduce flow. We use a heavy duty Watts regulator, but an adjustable regulator should do the job. This is one that should work fine. https://a.co/d/aggo0ts

This sounds like it will do the trick for us. Thanks.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:31 AM   #5
Kfinnert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32153
Here is an option for you, and it resolved my concerns over using a pressure regulator.

To begin, I do have an adjustable regulator, it is not as expensive as replacing a line that burst due to high water pressure.

Anyhow, after one waterline leak and a broken hose, where my trailer flooded and the leak was not found until I saw/stepped into a water puddle, I have decided to run water for the rig through the tank/water pump. That way I can hear if a line breaks - when we leave the trailer the water pump is turned off. Since employing this method, I had another leak in the bathroom - faulty toilet valve, and my external hose failed. Both times I heard the water pump start up and found the leaks shortly thereafter!

I do carry an extra water pump with me.

Cheers
Kfinnert is online now   Reply With Quote