Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2023, 07:47 AM   #1
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Unusual propane plumbing???

We have a 2014 3100RL Montana we bought it used. On the non-door side the propane tanks are connected to the automatic crossover and what I will call a standard way, no problems.

However, on the door side connected to the propane tank is an in-line pressure gauge (no problem) then the flexible propane line is connected to a single pressure regulator (much like this one in the photo below) before connecting to the iron pipe which crosses over to the other side. I do not know why there is a pressure regulator on the door side. Your thoughts are welcome.

A problem that may or may not be related to this configuration. There appears to be a propane leak that we cannot find. When we open the propane valve on the tank on the door side as expected the pressure gauge shows full pressure. Then if we turn off the valve on this tank very slowly the gauge pressure drops to zero. We have use soapy water to check for leaks and cannot find any leaks. I do not smell any propane other than the normal smell that is usually associated around the tank after one fills the tank

TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:18 AM   #2
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I sounds like someone thought the one side did not have a regulator and they installed one. Both sides should be tied together with one regulator/switching valve between both bottles and the main line. If needed check another trailer’s setup. The valve will not hurt anything but has more places to leak.
Old 09-03-2023, 08:26 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
It is normal for each tank to have its own regulator.
I have read that's RV code somewhere.
In the files section there is a copy of the Auto switching valve operating manual that is located above the left side tank.
Can't help you with the leak.
There was a recall on some fittings that leaked some time ago. I don't recall the details. A copy of that might be in the files section too.
Depending on your model some have experienced issues with the propane flex line going to the slide. I would inspect this hose closely.
As far as keeping track of propane levels, we have Mopeka propane tank sensors. They work perfectly.
I'm going to add them to all the other tanks too.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 08:41 AM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I had the same problem with a propane odor I could not isolate with soapy water. Finally pulled that red regulator valve and found it had a small vent hole under the valve with some oily residue around it. Was not getting soapy water to it to bubble. Replaced that valve and no more odor.

Now as to why that regulator valve is there, here is why.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ight=regulator
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:46 AM   #5
GAinaMontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20747
My 2014 3402rl had the same issue with the high pressure (red) regulator as you are having. Bought a new one ( relatively cheap ) and replaced the old one; problem solved.
GAinaMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:08 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had the same problem (and fix) as the two previous posters! Just be sure to use propane pipe thread tape when attaching things, not water tape.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:22 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Believe what BB_TX wrote above. Earlier Montanas didn't have the Red Regulator on the opposite side of the Switching Regulator. Just a flex line to an iron pipe. You had to be very slow and careful opening that tank. I believe that changed around 2010 or so.

The Switching Regulator was traditionally located on the door side until somewhere around 2013/2014. Why it was moved to the off-door side is unknown. Having it on the door side made checking it as you left easy. It tends to be forgotten on the off-door side location.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 12:41 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Um... door side and non-door side does not apply to me! I have doors on both sides of my Montana.

The red regulator is suppose to be there.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:12 PM   #9
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Um... door side and non-door side does not apply to me! I have doors on both sides of my Montana.

The red regulator is suppose to be there.
Interesting...... enlarged your signature photo and could see the steps on the "street side" shall we say.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 01:25 PM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Interesting...... enlarged your signature photo and could see the steps on the "street side" shall we say.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The main reason for the red regulator is to make sure that once the propane leaves the tank as a vapor that it stays a vapor. Propane regulators in trailers do not regulate liquid only vapor. If the regulator was not there the pressure in the hose/pipe would be the same as the tank. This could lead to the vapor condensing back into a liquid. With a reduction in the pressure from the regulator to the other side of the coach this will greatly reduce the possibility of the vapor in the crossover hose turning back into a liquid. This is all based on propane’s vapor/pressure saturation points. The lower the pressure the lower the temperature to turn it back into a liquid.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote