Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
BE AWARE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Well Gang I thought that I had made this trip without much trouble but that was not to be the case.... I was going to fix some cornbread in the oven tonight so I went to light the pilot light and when I put the lighter down there the fire shot out and caught my face and hair on fire and I thought I was going to die right there.... What happen was while on the road one of the lines broke and we did not know it... Please everyone check this out, I still do not know how we will get this fixed but it was very bad......I Pray that this does not happen to you.... I am beside my self because my face and hair is scorched.... PLEASE BE CAREFUL.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 01:48 PM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
WOW.....Sorry to hear about your problem. We're just glad you're safe. Hope your not to badly burned.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:05 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Thank you for the warning. Sorry you had the difficulty. Sounds like we, Dianna and I, need to rehearse a safety drill.

Dianna is always involved in safety conferences at NASA. With your permission, I will write up an incident report (NOT using your name of course), for her to use at the office. United Space Alliance is concerned about employee safety away from work as well as on the job. Recreational safety is a frequent topic.

We will be remembering you as you recover. Keep us posted.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 02:30 PM   #4
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I am so sorry Linda. I do hope you are alright.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wow!! that was too close, and from the reports you must be OK, I have scars from a burn when I was younger. Have you found out what might have caused the line to brake? We store our pans down there in the area of the pilot light, I will check my gas pipe lines next time I go to the storage lot and make sure they are OK! thanks for the heads up Prariepoodle.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh, my, that is scarey. Sure hope you're okay. Thanks for sharing the information so others won't get hurt, too.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #7
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I to wish you a complete recovery from your accident.That is scary and some thing I would have untill now never even thought about.Take care and have a speedy recovery.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 05:29 PM   #8
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Prairepoodle, so sorry to hear of your accident but thank God it wasn't worse and pray for your speedy recovery. Thank you also about the warning - we will surely be checking ours out. I am not a big fan of using the oven much so rarely light the it but will get the husband to check all lines before our next trip.

Safe travels and thanks again.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:18 PM   #9
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
WOW!! Prairepoodle, so VERY sorry to hear of this almost tragic misfortune!

I'm trying to figure out why the propane detector didn't give warning of the leak....I can only speculate that the gas was confined within the oven and didn't set off the alarm because of that.

I think we will do a "sniff test" from now on whenever we open the oven door before we try to light the pilot light, most especially ater towing.

It is a sad fact that the rest of us some times learn through the misfortunes of another....hopefully, some good will come of this in awareness the potential danger for all of us.

Thanks so much for the post, and we sincerly hope your recovery is swift and complete.

Our very best,

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:11 PM   #10
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Wow! What a shocker. We pray you will have a short recovery and that the oven can be fixed without too much trouble. That is a wake up call for all of us. Please have someone check your burns as there are medications available to help the healing process. Also try to stay out of the sun...that new skin will be very tender. Take care of yourself.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 09:33 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
WOW, that is scary. We have yet to use the oven in our rig but you can now bet I will be checking it for leaks on a regular basis. We pray for a complete and speedy recovery.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:35 AM   #12
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Hope You are feeling better soon.

Can You elaborate on what line broke so others can watch out? Sounds to me like the gas leaked from a line that is after the oven control, if not the coach would have filled with gas and not just the oven.

We'll keep a good thought and get well soon,

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:45 AM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Praise the Lord you are alright. I hope that your rig was not damaged. It could have just as easily blown the entire trailer as well as yourselves sky high. We will say a pray of thanks for you.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 03:25 AM   #14
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Thank you all for the prayers, Right behind the pilot light on the back wall of the oven is a line that comes in and and connects somewhere behind the pilot light. Mine is now hanging loose so I don't know if it just came loose or broke. I am hoping that it just came loose and can be put back together again. It would be easy to do if we could get out the shelve that is over top of it, but it is only loose on one side and the other side won't move at all. I will let you know more when I find out.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:23 AM   #15
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you have a speedy recovery. Thanks for taking time out to alert the forum about this potential hazzard for the rest of us. It is sure a wake up call for me. I hope there was no major damange to you RV.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 04:51 AM   #16
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. SO sad it happened but SO glad you are here to tell us. Take care and praying for a speedy recovery.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 10:51 AM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you heal quickly. I had a hot water heater blow up in my face once when I was trying to light the pilot light. My doctor had me use vitamin E oil on my face and hands to keep scaring down. I have none. But I didn't have any eyebrows or lashes for a while. Have you checked your leak detector to make sure it is working? Seems like it should have warned you.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:17 PM   #18
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear about your accident. We hope that all will be well with you and you are able to fix your oven easily. Please keep us posted as to what the problem was.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 01:48 PM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I recommend checking your leak detector, too. It should have warned you. Our adult daughter accidently left open the line to the pilot light, just slightly, but it was enough to set off the detector. Has everyone checked their detectors lately?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #20
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
So glad you are still around to tell us about it. Ditto on the gas detector check. It should have warned you unless the leak was all contained inside the oven.

Hope you recover quickly.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote