Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
RM RV7710 Died Today (New unit enroute))

Got the 7710 a week ago Thursday and was going to take it on its first run to the NC sand-hills to get some free stone peaches. Hooked it up, went to the route selection menu, had some screen flicker, but the route selection area opened. Left it there for about ten minutes and then got ready to go. Hit the go to button and nothing, and finally gave up on that. Tried to turn off, would not happen, disconnected from USB power cable and again would not shut off. Then hit the reset button and it shut down. That was the last last hurrah for this system. Switched to the Garmin and resumed the trip. Got home, tried to do a diagnostic check using the RM dock with the laptop and a complete no go because the GPS and the computer would not synch with the dock. Cable is fine! Called the local Camping World and am taking it back to them Monday and plan to get a full refund. That's the plan for now. Might swap for the Magellan, but that remains to be seen. Be nice if Garmin ad on on the horizon.

Called RM first thing this morning & rep said take it to CW. Took to CW and they said send to RM. Got on the phone and got a ticket # from RM and later this afternoon after sending them a copy of proof of purchase got an RMA#. So off to the pack and ship tomorrow and pay to have this defective piece of chinese hardware sent back for repair or replacement. Was surprised that RM would not even cover the cost for the return of a warrantied item.

UPDATE: Notified today by RM that they are shipping me a replacement RV7710 via UPS.

tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Bummer. Sorry to hear about that. Maybe this one was just bad. Did you consider swapping it out for a replacement? It was good you had a Garmin as a backup. Keep us posted please.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tim-- While at Camping World check out the new Rand McNally unit! I was really impressed with the demo they gave me while at the Good Sam Rally in Louisville, KY. IF and when I need a new GPS, I will definately be looking at the Rand McNally one that comes with lifetime updates! I don't remember the number but it is the one with the 7" touch screen!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Rondo, That is the one I just got that died. The RM RV7710GPS. Plan to let CW replace the whole thing as I think it has great potential over anything out there right now. Could be it is just a shorted out USB in port on the unit itself, but one would hope for better QC than that. I'm sure CW will make it good since I also bought the two year extended warranty from them and have had it less than 14 days.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:14 AM   #5
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
You shouldn't have any problems getting this resolved. The first thing I always remember from way back when computers came out, They normally break in the first month, after that they seem to be ok. Good Luck
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've had ours for a couple of months and so far it's a great unit.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Glenn the fifth
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7117
Have had great luck with mine on two trips thus far. Sorry you are having trouble. This really is a neat unit an I keep finding new things it can do.
Glenn the fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #8
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
See update on original post.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 AM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I still don't understand why CW didn't replace a brand new unit for you rather than forcing you to deal with the manufacturer? Here it is three weeks later and you are still waiting for a replacement. I have bought electronics (including GPS') from all kinds of stores (Costco, Cabella's, Wal-Mart) and their return policies allow an exchange or refund. Why doesn't CW?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 06:21 AM   #10
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
CW was very adamant that since the unit had a one year RM warranty it was their responsibility to fix/replace it. They,CW, also stated that since I purchased a 2 year extended warranty which goes into effect in one year, they then would replace from in house stock or ship back for repair.
Old 07-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's all I need to hear to avoid buying any electronics from CW in the future. I had a defective Garmin a couple of years ago and they not only paid for shipping mine back to them they got me the replacement by next day air. CW needs to learn that's how you earn customer loyalty. I'm not suggesting you switch brands, just commenting on CW's policies.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:01 AM   #12
JohnEM38
Established Member

M.O.C. #12340
I have a 5510 and it worked until the last firmware update. Now its a boat anchor. Called RM and all they said was use the reset switch when it locks up every 10 miles.
JohnEM38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:50 AM   #13
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Did the reset bit on the "repaired" unit and no go. Still could not get the USB GPS drivers to respond and recognize three different computers.