Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #1
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Cost of Extended Warranty - To Buy Or Not

Calling all MOCs with an opinion on this issue. Thursday we are taking delivery on a 2010 3750 FL and I'm not a big fan of extended warranties unless it is on an expensive purchase with mechanical and electronic things that can fail. From experience we know that can be the case with a camper and the 12 cubic foot refrigerator alone is $3,500 without installation. So we are considering the extended warranty to protect this big rig and we know a few people who bought the warranty online and had terrible experiences with the company. Their advice was to buy it from the dealer if it is reputable. The dealer has quoted me $2,800.00. for five years and it is replacement coverage of the failed part. A few questions for my new friends at MOC: Is this cost reasonable, would you buy one, and if you did what did it cost (if you don't mind me asking). All input is greatly appreciated as we need to make a decision by tomorrow. The dealer is offering fabric and paint protective coating for $599 which I have on my truck, R2000. Your thoughts on this as well would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Rich

snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
I have always got a kick out of a company that offers a "life time" warranty and has been in business for a year or two! I believe strongly in warranties...others do not. If you have decided to go with a warranty, you might contact the Good Sam Club...they will give you a free quote, which you can compare with the one your dealer is offering. The Good Sam organization has been around for a while and has a good rep...don't know about your dealer. Finally, yes, I have extended coverage from Good Sam.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
My suggestion is DO NOT BUY FROM DEALER. There are a lot of plans out there. We bought Good Sam as well. We bought it 6 months after we bought our unit. Give them a call and see if they fit your needs. It was less than $700 for 3 years with a $200 deductible.
Dick
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
We purchased one through a company call Warranty Experts for $1,160.00 for 7 years. They replaced our Microwave convection oven at a cost of $750.00 and this Friday our refrigerator was replaced at a cost of $ 1,865.00. Each time it only cost us $50.00 out of our pocket. I also would not buy from a dealer.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Keep in mind that the dealer makes a profit off of hte sale of the plans as well. In our case the dealer quoted $1400 for 7 years protection at $0 deductible at the time of the rig purchase but also said that the price was going up $300 in a couple of months. I told them we would consider it but would not buy it for a few months. When I approached them about purchasing the plan, they reminded me of the price increase. My response was if they wanted to sell it I would take it for the original price. I got it for the original price. Lesson being, the dealer price should be negotiable. Ours is called Star RV and id provided through Interstate National Dealer Services, Inc. (I haven't looked them up online but I do know they have been in business for more than 20 years). We have replaced an Apollo oven and the pump motor for the hydraulic slides and a couple of other minor things. We have already received the price of the plan and have three years remaining on it, so at least in our view it was worth it. It is a personal decision, but I would definitely shop around. I got it through the dealer since I know they honor the plan and are in the same community as we are. Do your research and if you choose to go that route, be prepared to make an informed decision. The price seems high to me. This is not an endorsement but I admit we are satisfied.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Got ours through the dealer, for about $2K, I can't remember exactly and the paper work is in the rig. $200 deductible for 7 years.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:45 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think you'll find that it is personal preference. There are many who do not purchase extended warranties and they seem to do just fine. They say that you can bank the money that you spend for the extended warranty and be money ahead.

We purchased an extended warranty when we bought the rig in 2000 and we weren't sorry. It paid for itself. We now have Good Sam's Continued Service Pan which has paid off for us so far.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I believe that GS and the majority of dealers use Affinity. Our Monty was with Affinity, and now the SOB is with Affinity. The Monty we purchased the coverage through the dealer at the price you are quoting. The SOB was considerably higher through GS.

The problem is that you are covered under warranty for at least 1 year on most items, and in some cases, like A&E awning, for two years. If the extended plan kicks in "after" the original warranty, then my personal opinion is that it is worth it. If it kicks in immediately, but you cannot use it for 1 or 2 years, I'd wait and get one later on for a little more in price but longer coverage. JMHO
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one///Rv shield..have used it 3 times and got our money back and have over 3 years left on the contract.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have the same RV Shield as Rich. But so far, in 3 years, we have not had to use it, so can't comment good, bad, or otherwise.
I did try to use their roadside service when we were "stuck to the asphalt" in remote New Mexico (a story in itself in another thread) and they were no help at all.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:14 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bill.. For your information.. I have used RV shield 3 times for over 1000.00 of repairs. We followed the instructions as outlined in the contract and had no trouble what so ever.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #12
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
i wouldn't let the dealer rush you into buying a policy. Remember, you have at least one year coverage from the manufacturer.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #13
restez
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10477
We had one that we bought from the dealer on our first 5th wheel. We paid over $1800.00 for a 7 year contract. We had an issue with the siding coming unlaminated on the aluminum siding. The 5th wheel was a Springdale 26 footer. When I took it to the dealer they told me that the price would be $3200.00 plus and that the extended warranty would not cover it and also keystone would not cover it so I had to pay up front. Always read the fine print. Mine said that the siding was covered but not on flat siding, so mine should have been covered. Oh well sold the trailer and bought a new Monty. Will consider a extended warranty after a year probably from Good Sam but will never buy from a dealer, especially my local dealer. Screwed once my fault, not going to be taken twice!
restez is offline   Reply With Quote