Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Structural problem on '07 3400RL

Man, another problem. This seems serious, the cabinet to the back of the counter has dropped maybe 1", this bent and tore the paneling, we just noticed it, the dropping of the cabinet shelf is related.
I looked into the water heater cabinet, there is NO support for the shelf, just stapled to the upright paneling.
There is obviously no support for the entire wall cabinet and counter top, check the pictures out. All of you with the same model and design better check this out. You can pull the inboard inspection plastic cover, put your arm in there and see how bad the paneling where the detector is, 'Oilcans'.
pretty dam*# poor structure assembly if you ask me.
Ozz
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...failure003.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...failure001.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...failure005.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ozz, that does look real bad! Pretty poor engineering/craftsmanship if you ask me.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sorry Ozz. That does look bad and on my favorite floorplan. On mine I have used a lot of angle brackets and screws to the point I expect something to pull loose every trip. I hate staples. They have no place in an RV.

I assume Keystone will fix it.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey OZZ - you said that you hit a SMALL BUMP in the road and not even Sue's plants had MOVED......

Look's like just the whole cabinet.... I am Sorry for that damange. I guess you have to pay for all that fun your having... An old Carpenter friend of mine said, true craftsman don't need trim. Trim is used to HIDE bad workmanship....They (THEY) Should have never invented stapleguns.
Sorry my friend
Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #5
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Here's another thing for my PDI checklist. Ozz, are you going to take it to the dealer, or fix it yourself? .....Pete
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well guys, the bump was just the other day, the shelf, and evidently the dropped counter top happened on our trip through Kansas. We just didn't notice the buckled paneling until today.
I am debating whether to repair it myself, or have the dealer do it, I am pondering that.
Yep, real poor. I will probably get in there and add braces, supports and fix it, but I'm not sure yet.
Just keep an eye on yours, they are all built the same...........
Ozz
Old 09-27-2006, 01:57 PM   #7
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
You know the old adage, "if you want something done right, do it yourself..." Still, it is under warranty and Keystone should be informed and aware of the failure.
Don't let that rain on you guy's parade! Everything can be fixed, especially by you!
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:58 PM   #8
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Thanks ozz for the heads up I looked at this when I thought about the extra space I found didn't like the way the counter was supported now I see that my ill feelings about the way this was constructed is correct so I'll be getting out the brackets and going to work on this next after we get back from our little trip we have planned for this next week to late to do it now thanks again for you heads up
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim
I don't think they are all built the same. A lot of the problems others have had, we haven't. We had one no one else has had (charger for the flashlight not hooked up). You are the first one to my knowledge with this problem. Sounds like someone forgot something. We have been on dirt roads that were muddy and ungraded and the only thing that happened was lots of mud on the Monty and TV and the placemats slid off the table. Keep having a great time. All things can be fixed.
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 02:20 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, my friends, it takes more than my Montana disintegrating to get me down...
I even had the handle to the Tv antenna split in two!
Every time Sue says "Jim, you better look at this" I get a rash.
We are having a great time, smiling till it hurts. We went to some neat places today, I'll tell about them in another post. Ozz
Old 09-27-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ozz, You have a terrific outlook on life, I can tell by your writings this is no hill you are reluctant to climb. I wish I had your patience. Good luck with the rest of your journey.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I really feel your pain Ozz.
As much as you would want to fix it to make it right, I feel this should be handled through warranty. This is what it's for, and you and Sue taking it out for a good long run is just what you need to expose the flaws and build a nice fix it list for them.
Hopefully once you get through that period you'll have her all dialled in.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:56 PM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, Lonnie and Ozzie,
I will see, if the problems don't worsen, I will stop any additional damage from occurring, and talk with my selling dealer when we get home. I have a good relationship with the owner and the service manager.
Ozz
Old 09-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #14
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Ozz, not that familiar with your floorplan, but your third picture scares me. I assume that the right side of the photo is an outside wall. If it is then you could have the start of the wall collapsing. Our was out about 1 1/2" when we got it to the factory for repairs. We had the "frame flex" problem and the outriggers holding up the walls gave way. Anyway, I'd check for frame flex, too.

If you don't make Montana fix it, they will just ignore it. You paid for the warranty.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:48 PM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Ozz, If you want it done right, do it yourself unless you are lucky enough to find a dealership with a RV tech that has very good carpenter skills. My money is on you doing the best job.
I know if mine starts falling apart, I am going to make it better myself.

Ozz, I assume this is a cabinet structure weakness and nothing to do with the wall strength
........correct?

Take care and keep having fun.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:19 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
This structure failure appears to me to be, the weight of the upright cabinet, & counter top not being supported correctly. I don't see anything else damaged. The slide in the kitchen is off a little, it tore the vinyl flooring.
Mobilrvn, when you stated 1 2/2" out, what did you mean? The outside wall bowing out? What interior signs did you have?
Thanks, Ozz
Old 09-28-2006, 04:46 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We see no signs of that here at the rally campground but will take a closer look when we get home..Perhaps a little additional support would not hurt.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #18
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
Oz, look under your kitchen sink. Our 02 3280RL had no supports. counter top cracked. They replaced it. We had slots behind the cook top for knifes. One day I was putting them back after washing them and the handles kept bouncing back against the wall. Removed the knife holder and looked behind the stove. There was a 120 volt line there that the sharp knife's were ridding on. One day when I plugged into a camp site there was a popping sound. Every thing worked fine. When we got home same thing only this time it sizzled. sounded like an ark welder. Unplugged and dropped the belly pan so I could see in there. Had Glub plug in the cord and saw sparks flying. They had run the power line over one arm of the slide system and under the other. The one they ran over was solid the one they ran under was uncovered and the Rack that drove the slide out was sawing through the power cord. That was fixed "out of warranty" by Keystone. These things and others are why we now have a motor home.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:31 AM   #19
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
The pic that Ozz showed of a broken board...I sure hope that little board wasn't supposed to support anything. That is barely enough to support a piece of paneling stapled to it - even without that knot that broke.
It sounds to me like there are some flaws that the factory needs to correct here.
I am fully confident that Ozz would fix it in classic overkill fashion, but he shouldn't be the one footing the bill. I can see this taking a bit of time and expense to repair properly.
He could temp a 2 X 2 in there to hold it until he returns to home base to prevent further damage.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 03:25 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Treecounter,
That's really poor planning on their part! I had the belly cover off, there were electrical ines, hydraulic lines all rubbing on metal braces, I protected and wire tied many places, but you know, you can't find them all.
Ozz