Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2005, 04:18 PM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Palebluedot, we will be solo when we go through there Friday! Most challenging road I ever towed the Montana on was last year when we went up to the Yosemite area in California. California highway 49 from Oakhurst to Coulterville was an absolutely beautiful but very challenging road to pull the house on. It was fun, though!

Carol, we saw the horses in Cades Cove, up at the fence and snickering with people petting them but didn't know you could take them for a ride! I don't know anything about riding horses so would not attempt that without expert help, anyhow!

I'm not sure why the President will be in Cades Cove. I guess we'll watch the news tonight to find out more about that. So far we've hiked to Indian Creek Falls, Tom Branch Falls, Juney Whank Falls, Laurel Falls, Grotto Falls, and MingoFalls. Still have to do Abram's Falls, Rainbow Falls (maybe), and Mouse Creek Falls. Maybe others we haven't discovered yet. We leave here two weeks from Friday so will do those plus some other hikes. We've pretty much done the driving loops, at least those that are open. Got down to Cataloochee and saw the elk, also. Vicki's published several postcards and I still have to reformat the last four and get them on the website. Tomorrow is a "reality day" and I hope to get those done then.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 04:29 PM   #22
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

You two are doing MOC proud! Visiting all the good stuff! Keep up the good work!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:07 PM   #23
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carol ... Steve has logged off and asked me to answer your question ... President Bush will be visiting Cades Cove in celebration of Earth Day on Friday.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:09 PM   #24
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Thanks Vicki!!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by palebluedot

Steve,
While you are in the Smokies,(if you haven't already) take a day trip over to Tellico Plains and take the "Cherohala Skyway". When you get to the east end, turn left on highway 129 and travel the "Tail of the Dragon". Then take the "Foothills Parkway" back to Pigeon Forge. Be sure to carry the ice chest and a bag of sandwiches, not many watering holes through this area. It's very senic but twisty through the Dragon.
Palebluedot, last Friday we did Cherohala Skyway while meandering our way to visit with Mr./Mrs. Wordsmith at Unicoi State Park. Then yesterday, after meandering up to Fontana Dam, we went over and did The Tail of the Dragon, then west and north back up to 321. What beautiful drives! Thanks for the tip on the Dragon. I was not aware of it previously. We (Vicki) got some pictures of the Dragon Works and lots and lots on both drives. Wow, beautiful country this is. Far beyond anything I knew existed in this part of the country.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:13 PM   #26
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Steve,
Glad you got the opportunity to ride and enjoy the Dragon and Cherohala. Glenda & I try to make those two when we are in the Smokies each October. It is especially breathtaking in the fall with the blazing color.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:25 PM   #27
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Another route I think you'd enjoy, towing or not, is US 441 north/south through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Much of this road is alongside a mountain river with lots of whitewater, ripples, etc. And beautiful mountains. I don't know the percent grade but it's a long one up, in either direction. Something like 13 miles or 16 miles, then the same distance down the other side. What a gorgeous drive, though. We've not towed through here but it's a main route to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and we see a lot of RV's using this route. We've driven this several times going to various destinations within the park and are awed each time. If time, stop and enjoy the beautiful scenery at the many pullovers and other stops. The only downside is traffic through Pigeon Forge.
Steve - this is a beautiful route. We have this on our radar screen for this fall. [/b]
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 03:32 PM   #28
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
After seeing the Motorcyclists' Resort on the south end of the Tail of the Dragon, I couldn't wait to email my girlfriend in Topeka to tell her about the Tail and the resort. She and her husband have Harleys and I know they would LOVE it!

Palebluedot ... this ride isn't too shabby in the spring either! GORGEOUS!!!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 04:08 PM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vicki tells me I am wrong, it wasn't the Dragon Works she took a picture of. It was the motorcycle resort. The sign says "Deal's Gap". There's an interesting biker site about the Tail of the Dragon. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
318 turns in 11 minutes. And I see there's a video of some guy riding the Dragon on his bike. I'd love to drive that route when the fall foliage is in full color!

One of our plans for the next couple of weeks -- our Day Hikes book lists a short (2 to 4 miles roundtrip maybe) section of the Appalachian Trail we can hike just to see what that is like. It's at 6000+ plus altitude, though. We've talked with some of the hikers already since the AT goes near Clingman's Dome. And it crosses Fontana Dam so we talked briefly, yesterday, with a young lady who is hiking the trail with her companion. I have a great deal of admiration for anyone who even attempts to do the entire 2160 mile distance.