Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2005, 09:34 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I75 and I74, good or bad?

Normally we avoid interstates but will have a need to make some tracks in a few weeks and that means interstate travel. After reading CountryGuy's report about I65, the part we would travel, I think we'll consider an alternate route.

This will add 42 miles but would be worth it to have good roads. This is somewhat tentative as we've not yet finalized Chattanooga as our next destination, then from there to Goshen, IN.

The route I'm wondering about is I75 from Chattanooga, TN, through Knoxville, and on to Cincinatti. From there we'd take I64 to Indiannapolis, IN. From Indiannapolis we'd take US 31 north. We towed US 31 last Fall so I know that's good road. But what about those stretches of interstates? I'm not worried about long grades and things like that. I am worried about very rough roads.

Would appreciate comments from those familiar with those routes.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Sorry can't help you Steve. The last time I was on I 75 was 4 yrs ago. But I was going North from Lexington Ky. See you in Tx next winter.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

The route I'm wondering about is I75 from Chattanooga, TN, through Knoxville, and on to Cincinatti. From there we'd take I64 to Indiannapolis, IN. From Indiannapolis we'd take US 31 north. We towed US 31 last Fall so I know that's good road. But what about those stretches of interstates? I'm not worried about long grades and things like that. I am worried about very rough roads.
I-75 through KY and OH is not too bad, (MI is another story).
I-65 through KY is not really all that bad. Much of it has new concrete surface which is not real smooth, but except for some construction zones, it is generally free of bad potholes. I have certainly driven on much worse interstates.

When we took a similar route to Goshen last spring, we took I-74 to IN 3, then over to I-69 on 67. Followed I-69 to US 33. I don't remember any of these roads as being very bad.

John.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
75 and 74 are in good shape but if you are coming this way you would want to get off of 75 just outside of Florence Ky and take 275 west to get on to 74. 275 west takes you around Cincinnati.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:19 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, everyone, I will check out those routes.

Since originally posting this we decided instead of going to Chattanooga we're going to extend here for two additional weeks. So we'll be going north from Gatlinburg. If we go interstate, it will be the route above, through Knoxville. We'll adjust that after looking at your suggestions. Looks like we'll have 3 days to travel 590 miles so it won't be a rush after all. Still, we might do the trip in two days and spend an extra day in Goshen to get laundry done, etc.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote