Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Bedroom Slide Leak

Camper has been to dealer twice to fix leak in bedroom slide. The carpet at the back of the closet to the left of the bed was wet after our last trip. After yesterday's storm, found the carpet at the back of the closet wet again. I read about similar leaks on this forum but have not been able to see what is causing this one. We had a heavy rain when the slides were in and it didn't leak. If the cause is not found, its back to the dealer which is 50 miles away. The dealer has been resealing the top of the slide thus far. Dealer didn't charge for the second visit but hauling for 100 miles is getting old.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We were almost crazy last winter trying to find the leak in our large slide, sealed a few spots on the roof, had a mobile tech come out and look it over and he put more caulking on the roof of the slide. Finally, I got to looking even closer at the window, and discovered there was an almost microscopic gap between the sealant and the wall. I took a dull knife and cut back the sealant that was protruding from the flange, cleaned all around with solvent and applied silicone caulk. That stopped the leak. The water was coming into the space between the inner and outer wall and seeping out to the carpet at the bottom of the wall. There was never any water running down the inside wall.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Be sure to look at the wide moulding along the bottom edge of the slide. Sheepdog told me about his And I checked and found the silicone seal open. Thanks to Sheepdog for the tip .
Secondly, look at the rubber boot that seals the connection from the coax and antenna. Some times they slip back from the connection and make a bad leak.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
My 3402RL had the same problem every time it rained hard I thought it was the missing caulking on the downside of the cap but like HOOK said before on the bottom seam of the bedroom slide I finally saw a little missing caulking all along it and that turned out to be it, does not take much to cause that much wetness,my buddies SOB had the same exact problem and I was able to help him out on that too
Old 06-06-2014, 04:11 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We had the same issue on both sides of our bed and as stated above the fix was to caulk the top of the wide molding at the bottom of the slide.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
What exactly is the "moulding" mentioned above by several posts? I assume you are talking about the bottom of the slide at the back that sticks out when slide is out. Is this the L shaped metal piece attached with screws and supposedly sealed? The overhang at the bottom is not what you are talking about - right? I assume you could clean and place eternabond tape along the bottom. Or if sealer is used, it must not be "leveling" dicor sealer that is used on roof. Thanks for you help especially since we seem to have heavy rain each day which complicates what works or doesn't. Drying out then to check is difficult.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-07-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually what I'm talking about is the 4" or so wide strip across the bottom of the outside of the slide. When you face the slide it's right in front of you about face level.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:06 AM   #8
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
I had the same problem of the carpet getting wet in the rear of the closet. I replaced caulk everywhere it looked like it could be cracked or missing. I didn't solve the problem until I removed one of the square plastic trim pieces that hide the mitered trim that surrounds the slideout. The caulk doesn't adhere well to the plastic and will allow water to seep in. I knew immediately that I was on to something as the screws were rusted. I filled the screw holes with caulk, reattached the square trim piece and caulked around it. Hopefully the caulk will adhere to the fiberglass good enough to provide a decent seal on the plastic.

I was patting myself on the back for solving that leak when the next rain produced another leak. This time the carpet in the back of the closet was dry but the carpet along side of the closet was wet. It drove me crazy trying to find it until I got the water hose out and told my wife to tell me when I was getting water inside. Well, it wasn't a slide leak at all. It was on the coach. Beside the slide opening (on the coach) is a very narrow trim to dress up the edge of the fiberglass. My second leak was around that trim.

I caulked it over a year ago and so far so good.

Good luck.
alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Unfortunately very miniscule caulking issues can cause water to enter.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Today, while we were away from (S & B)home, had one of the heaviest rain storms encountered thus far. I could tell by limbs in the yard and corn blown down in the field next to hour house. The Montana is parked behind the house. No water in the closet with slides closed. However, I always leave the two roof vents open partially. Water blew in there! The wind came from the NW and that is toward the back of the camper. That has never happened before. If the rain ever stops, will put slides out and inspect the slide based on what you good people have said. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-08-2014, 01:14 AM   #11
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Take a look on the top corners where the eternabond tape seals the rubber and the face trim. That's where I found a very small void in the tape allowing water in on ours. The metal trim wasn't fitted very well. Slide your fingers along the surface of the tape, it will move if you find a spot where it's not sealing. Ours got soaked in the same area as yours and only with the slides out.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Hopefully, found at least one leaking point after running a hose on the side (facing the rear of camper)of the slide at the bottom. I found the "L" shaped metal piece on the bottom had a small crack (opening where sealant was gone) at the back corner. The slide was out. After it drys, will apply dicor and maybe some enternalbond tape on it. I am not sure the tape will work on this particular spot. The tape may not adhere to the black material on the bottom of the slide. I assume the tape will adhere to the metal. The only dicor I have on hand is "self leveling" which is also a concern since the opening is on the bottom of the slide. Thanks for your help. I will report results if we enjoy a dry spell in our weather.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 AM   #13
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Well, crap, the slide was closed last night and it still leaked! Decided to call the dealer in Jackson, Tennessee to take it in again. They asked for patience since the Saturday afternoon storm damaged about 12 rigs with a used Montana upside down in the farmer's field next door. I dicored and eternabond taped the suspected area and attempting to dry out the floor of the closet. More storms forecast for next several days. It might be better to spend time building an ark than worrying about the Montana!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #14
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Can just about guarantee that it is definately the 4" strip on the bottom of slide as Dick says. Had that same leak and after putting sealant on that spot where it laps over side it stopped the leaking. It made a real mess until I used the information from the membership and fixed the problem.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote